• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK 181 CGC 9.9?
1 1

488 posts in this topic

If you don't have the eye to determine if a raw book is unrestored or not, then yes you need to only buy slabs. The CGC will do the work for you that you cannot take the responsibility for yourself, and then at that point you must accept their decision in the grade, for you have no other recourse since you cannot make a judgement yourself. If you come into this hobby, make it your responsibility first to learn about how to grade a raw comic, and determine if it is complete and if restored or not. When you send it in, figure out what you think it will come back.. If you rely on the CGC to do all the hard work for you, then it's no wonder you come at me like you do. You have no respect for a person with a little more comic knowledge than you do. Understandable though if you back the CGC. You hold them in esteem over any single person. You need to see my eBay ID in order to verify my credibility? Maybe learn to determine if a person's statements make sense or not to you and have some faith in your belief in them.., rather than having to see something first to believe.. . if my statements don't make sense to you, perhaps you are not on the same level. so you are left to force the credibility issue. yes im not credible lol. I speak fictionally. This is all lies!! Why would i waste my time...Ignore me, these posts are for the more accepting people in this thread who understand that they can learn from others. If you don't learn at least 1 thing new from another person, you are going around with blinders on.

This rings a bell...

Good catch. It does ring a bell. hm

I posted about TFL being greengob in a PM earlier today, 'the CGC' was quite glaring. But TFL was never that articulate, not that greengob is that articulate. If you know what I mean.

Go get another drink. :baiting:

If you insist.

actually it was ruined by their own stupidity in shelling out $3k for a watchmen #1. there was no one at CGC holding a gun to their head forcing them to buy the book.

Ever the voice of reason. (worship)

Curiously, was CGC around as a quarter of the hobby took an indefinite sabbatical when they discovered their precious Valiants and die-cut covers had more value as mulch than as a collectible?

I love it when an old timer with a keyboard goes pontificating on the interwebs.

:preach:

1/4?

More like 3/4.

Wait, no, 9/10.

It was a bloodbath, regardless.

The point is, you don't need two pieces of plastic surrounding a comic book to get the greed juices a-flowin'. Blaming CGC for some schlub shelling out $3k on a book from 1991 is like blaming CarFax for making you pay $5K over Blue book value for a 2002 Toyota Corolla. CarFax did its job and verified the car isn't a lemon, but that's hardly the same thing as it being a Peach.

If you don't have the eye to determine if a raw book is unrestored or not, then yes you need to only buy slabs. The CGC will do the work for you that you cannot take the responsibility for yourself, and then at that point you must accept their decision in the grade, for you have no other recourse since you cannot make a judgement yourself. If you come into this hobby, make it your responsibility first to learn about how to grade a raw comic, and determine if it is complete and if restored or not. When you send it in, figure out what you think it will come back.. If you rely on the CGC to do all the hard work for you, then it's no wonder you come at me like you do. You have no respect for a person with a little more comic knowledge than you do. Understandable though if you back the CGC. You hold them in esteem over any single person. You need to see my eBay ID in order to verify my credibility? Maybe learn to determine if a person's statements make sense or not to you and have some faith in your belief in them.., rather than having to see something first to believe.. . if my statements don't make sense to you, perhaps you are not on the same level. so you are left to force the credibility issue. yes im not credible lol. I speak fictionally. This is all lies!! Why would i waste my time...Ignore me, these posts are for the more accepting people in this thread who understand that they can learn from others. If you don't learn at least 1 thing new from another person, you are going around with blinders on.

This rings a bell...

Good catch. It does ring a bell. hm

Figure it out and get back to us, Sabres lover.

Some eBay handles that fit the bill could be:

microbia - but, if I remember correctly he is a doctor, and would construct posts better

dmdwholesale - is a good possibility

The point is, you don't need two pieces of plastic surrounding a comic book to get the greed juices a-flowin'. Blaming CGC for some schlub shelling out $3k on a book from 1991 is like blaming CarFax for making you pay $5K over Blue book value for a 2002 Toyota Corolla. CarFax did its job and verified the car isn't a lemon, but that's hardly the same thing as it being a Peach.

Exactly. If I were a slabbing operation would there be things I'd do differently than CGC? Sure. Just like if they bought my shop they'd completely re-tool it to their personal preferences. But in the end it was collectors and speculators that determined that certain grades should command many multiples beyond previous market parameters. I don't recall CGC ever giving pricing advice or publishing an official CGC price guide.

CGC provided a service that many were looking for, and it was collectors that decided these products were worth X-amount. When those determinations, due to the massive price increases a fraction of a grade could mean, brought a host of other issues... micro-trimming and other scams, etc., some people tend to cry out that "CGC" ruined the hobby.

Assuming the hobby is even "ruined", no 3rd party grading system brought it to that point... the hobbyists themselves did.

... if my statements don't make sense to you, perhaps you are not on the same level...

lol And I hope you stay down there lol

microbia - but, if I remember correctly he is a doctor, and would construct posts better

I remember him. I think I bought a book or two off him many moons ago on eBay.

He/she/it has nice books on eBay. Priced too high, but nice books.

FWIW, after seeing what beachbum pulls that get 9.9s, there is a distinct difference between 9.8 and 9.9 in CGC's grading. 9.9's are freaks where the paper doesn't respond the same to the center fold and all corners are perfectly square. Most books never even arrive at my LCS in that condition.

You can have your soapbox back now.

I remember him. I think I bought a book or two off him many moons ago on eBay.

He/she/it has nice books on eBay. Priced too high, but nice books.

microbia is male. He used to go to a lot of shows in the 90s. Haven't seen him since. I think his name his name is Shay

i'm not him. can you give it a rest now? your opinion of all my statements will change depending on who you figure me out to be. interesting....

My opinion won't change. You are chock full of doucheyness no matter who you are. (thumbs u

your opinion of all my statements will change depending on who you figure me out to be. interesting....

I'm pretty sure most would still consider you a blowhard no matter who you 'really' are.

Edit: Seanfingh said it better.

Edited by Beau

i'm not him. can you give it a rest now? your opinion of all my statements will change depending on who you figure me out to be. interesting....

You're screwed now.

No matter what you do, you'll forever be branded as that douchey guy.

You could, from hereon out, be the Mother Theresa of the boards, and you'll never escape that stigma. Ever. You could be clever, generous, witty, knowledgable, whatever. Doesn't matter now, because you've been a douchey on your first outing.

If I were you, I'd just vanish. It's probably for the best.

(thumbs u

I like this analogy

You're screwed now.

You could, from hereon out, be the Mother Theresa of the boards, and you'll never escape that stigma. Ever. You could be clever, generous, witty, knowledgable, whatever. Doesn't matter now, because you've been a douchey on your first outing.

(thumbs u

Don't do that, this is to entertaining! I am interested in seeing the detectives here figure out your TRUE IDENTITY!

hm

He likes DC's, a Lois Lane fan and has many Mass. pedigree books.....

You're screwed now.

(thumbs u

:eyeroll:

You're screwed now.

(thumbs u

:eyeroll:

Am I wrong....?

meh