• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK 181 CGC 9.9?
1 1

488 posts in this topic

Why buy a 9.9 or 10.0 when the books can easily get damaged in the holder and wind up more like 9.8s?

Why buy any graded comic in any grade...based on your theory...any book can get damaged and lose it's higher value.

While I agree paying huge amounts of money for a 9.9 over a 9.8 is insane...the comparison you provide doesn't seem to hold water.

I think the whole super HG thing is a bit over the top especially for more recent comics such as Hulk 181...I don't see the attraction. But then again, I don't have a desire to have the BEST or the HIGHEST graded comics. I'm happy in mid-high grade (I mainly stop at 9.4s and only when the price is right).

This thread reminds me of the Iron Man 1 in 9.9 that was going for over 6 figures a while ago... :insane:

i know, i analyze things too much. it's just my opinions in the matter. i have nothing against any 9.9 or 10.0 collector out there. More power to ya's. I don't wish for anyone to take my comments personally. I am an older school purist type of collector, and I like my books raw at times. I have my opinions on the CGC, as we all do. I sell too though, so I am a slave in their castle anyways. as most sellers must sell some slabs in order to stay in business these days..

You should really stop posting so much....

;)

I post a lot? I've posted like 6 times in my life. lol your wink says otherwise...

YOU!

When I post though, it ain't gonna be 7 short simple words. You are gonna hear some thought and you are going to like it!

In regard to Mark's response. A 9.9 or 10.0 can downgrade to a 9.8 much easier, than a 9.8 can get to a 9.6. A simple bend or flex of the 9.9 or 10.0 case can cause a spine stress. Do it to a 9.8, and you won't get a 9.6 so easily... will probably still come back a 9.8. but the 10.0 or 9.9 will come back a 9.8.

A comic like hulk 181 is not meant to be graded as a 9.9. It is simply too old to have maintained that nice a shape, no matter what. Hardly any 1970s comics will attain a 9.9. I guarantee you you could pick out a few flaws on it. Is it an old tag? If so, then DEFINITELY the comic has some wear being inside that case for over 10 YEARS!!! Buyers do not scrutinize the grade. They simply accept what the CGC says. There's no way that comic is a 9.9. The corners and right edge are most likely rolled over being inside the older-style bladder. There are a few different types of bladders inside of the outside shell. The older one used 10 years ago SUCKS!! and the comic can move around very easily. It is simply a drop down leveled well that the book sits in. The newer style bladder is much different and the books don't move as easily, and if they do, the edges of the comics do not butt up against plastic edges.

If I can be so bold and just state what seem like an obvious question and with all due respect to Green...

Why only 7 posts in 5 years? Not that I'm complaining... (thumbs u

Edited by Mark 1

I post a lot? I've posted like 6 times in my life. lol your wink says otherwise...

YOU!

When I post though, it ain't gonna be 7 short simple words. You are gonna hear some thought and you are going to like it!

In regard to Mark's response. A 9.9 or 10.0 can downgrade to a 9.8 much easier, than a 9.8 can get to a 9.6. A simple bend or flex of the 9.9 or 10.0 case can cause a spine stress. Do it to a 9.8, and you won't get a 9.6 so easily... will probably still come back a 9.8. but the 10.0 or 9.9 will come back a 9.8.

A comic like hulk 181 is not meant to be graded as a 9.9. It is simply too old to have maintained that nice a shape, no matter what. Hardly any 1970s comics will attain a 9.9. I guarantee you you could pick out a few flaws on it. Is it an old tag? If so, then DEFINITELY the comic has some wear being inside that case for over 10 YEARS!!! Buyers do not scrutinize the grade. They simply accept what the CGC says. There's no way that comic is a 9.9. The corners and right edge are most likely rolled over being inside the older-style bladder. There are a few different types of bladders inside of the outside shell. The older one used 10 years ago SUCKS!! and the comic can move around very easily. It is simply a drop down leveled well that the book sits in. The newer style bladder is much different and the books don't move as easily, and if they do, the edges of the comics do not butt up against plastic edges.

Words make Hulk head hurt...

266690_mklbLPpVZCIdn6CXaT53noOP1.jpg

Many reasons.. The boards did not interest me until lately. no time before, not interested in spending more time in front of a computer, as my jobs already keep me behind a comp. 12 hours a day. I'd like to throw the computers out the windows sometimes. I'm on vacation now for a few months, so i have more time to screw around. I see lots of people on here getting caught up in the CGC game. That's disconcerting, when I see a lot of misconceptions stated on the boards. I feel I should speak up and say something when I see a misled individual :)

I have 30 years experience in this comic hobby, so you should consider my opinions :) I am a seller on ebay usually with 500+ cgc comics listed... I wont tell you who. It's not pertinent, nor should it matter. My last cgc submission was 500 comics pre-screened for 9.8. 450+ came back 9.8. So I can tell you that any 9.9 will be a 9.8 eventually. just a matter of time.

btw I'm still looking for those Gobbledygook 1 & 2s if anyone knows anyone who has them for sale :)

I am a seller on ebay usually with 500+ cgc comics listed... I wont tell you who. It's not pertinent, nor should it matter.

Why hide your ebay name? I'll gladly tell you mine....

Your isn't Robojo is it? :grin:

Cmon, seriously why mention this and not say who you are on ebay? Odd hm

Many reasons.. The boards did not interest me until lately. no time before, not interested in spending more time in front of a computer, as my jobs already keep me behind a comp. 12 hours a day. I'd like to throw the computers out the windows sometimes. I'm on vacation now for a few months, so i have more time to screw around. I see lots of people on here getting caught up in the CGC game. That's disconcerting, when I see a lot of misconceptions stated on the boards. I feel I should speak up and say something when I see a misled individual :)

I have 30 years experience in this comic hobby, so you should consider my opinions :) I am a seller on ebay usually with 500+ cgc comics listed... I wont tell you who. It's not pertinent, nor should it matter. My last cgc submission was 500 comics pre-screened for 9.8. 450+ came back 9.8. So I can tell you that any 9.9 will be a 9.8 eventually. just a matter of time.

btw I'm still looking for those Gobbledygook 1 & 2s if anyone knows anyone who has them for sale :)

Where did I put my fiddle? zzz

The boards did not interest me until lately.

Fair enough.

I see lots of people on here getting caught up in the CGC game.

Fair enough, again. Many people don't think that encapsulating books by CGC is good for the hobby. I don't agree, but you're welcome to your opinion.

I have 30 years experience in this comic hobby, so you should consider my opinions :)

Got it, you're old school, and aren't going for "the CGC game".

I am a seller on ebay usually with 500+ cgc comics listed

waitwhat1.jpg

My last cgc submission was 500 comics pre-screened for 9.8.

waitwhat.png

... I wont tell you who. It's not pertinent, nor should it matter.

I think it kind of does matter, at this point. For someone who decries others for 'being caught up in the CGC game', you seem to use their encapsulation services quite a lot.

Why the need for anonymity?

Apologies to RMA for using his post-dissecting technique. lol

Where did I put my fiddle? zzz

I won that fiddle from you fair & square back in 1979. Times are tough though, and I mailed it in to "cashforgold.com" last month.

I managed to capture a recreation of our battle on video, though...

lol

I'm caught up in the cgc game too. Most dealers must be in order to survive selling these days. I collected for years before becoming a dealer though. I stated the 500 book submission to make my points about the 9.9s and 10.0s conversation that I had before. There were no 9.9s or 10.0s in my 500 book submission. all 9.8s came back.. you'd think there'd be at least 1 right? these were all mint comics from the original factory cases, 50 pack bundles, 6 each in strings. the inner ones were perfect. all were 1980s Marvels. so 9.9 and 10.0 is pretty much only attainable on comics post 1990. This is why I say that a hulk 181 from 1974 HAS NO PLACE being graded a 9.9. and if it really was, it's not anymore after being inside that case for over 10 years bumping around the inner bladder walls.

I'm caught up in the cgc game too. Most dealers must be in order to survive selling these days. I collected for years before becoming a dealer though. I stated the 500 book submission to make my points about the 9.9s and 10.0s conversation that I had before. There were no 9.9s or 10.0s in my 500 book submission. all 9.8s came back.. you'd think there'd be at least 1 right? these were all mint comics from the original factory cases, 50 pack bundles, 6 each in strings. the inner ones were perfect. all were 1980s Marvels. so 9.9 and 10.0 is pretty much only attainable on comics post 1990. This is why I say that a hulk 181 from 1974 HAS NO PLACE being graded a 9.9. and if it really was, it's not anymore after being inside that case for over 10 years bumping around the inner bladder walls.

Thanks for that insight, mister-important-unknown-person. I'll be sure to send a letter to the owner of the CGC 9.9 Hulk 181 and let them know that you have denounced the legitimacy of the grade. I'm sure they'll crack it out and resubmit it post-haste and get their rightful 9.8 grade.

Oh wait a minute. Damn the luck. It's time for my nap. zzz