• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pep 22

31 posts in this topic

Wasn't this book on ebay not too long ago? i thought I saw a restored slab copy a few months ago

I believe that it's the same book that was sold raw. Initially listed for $15K and then the auction was ended early. I'm guessing the book sold for somewhere in that neighbourhood since that is what they are asking for it now.

Wasn't this book on ebay not too long ago? i thought I saw a restored slab copy a few months ago

I believe that it's the same book that was sold raw. Initially listed for $15K and then the auction was ended early. I'm guessing the book sold for somewhere in that neighbourhood since that is what they are asking for it now.

I knew that book looked familiar. I think the $15k asking price is a little steep but who knows

Seller of this book says he is the original owner and recently turned down an offer at the austin comic con for $15,000.

Seller of this book says he is the original owner and recently turned down an offer at the austin comic con for $15,000.

Ah, ok. So then it is the lady selling it for her dad. They simply pulled down the auction when it was raw, had it slabbed and are now shopping the book around.

Well, good luck to them. Hope they get what they want for it.

Books like Pep #22 seem to rise in value with every sale.

(thumbs u

Personally, I think Pep #22 is still undervalued (or under priced). It's arguably one of the biggest key books in comics and can be had for a fraction of what other big keys sell for and it is MUCH more rare than any other key out there.

By my valuation the book sells for about 6 times current guide across the board.

I would definitely agree with you here! (thumbs u

Especially considering that Archie #1 has the same value in the guide. I have never quite understood this as all of the other first appearance keys are priced substantially higher then the first issue of their own book.

You need look no further than books such as 'Tec #27 versus Batman #1 and AMF #1 versus Spidey #1. Okay, I will admit that Bat #1 and Spidey #1 are in far far greater supply than their 1st appearances, but I don't believe this is the same case for the Pep #22 versus the Archie #1. I certainly have seen a lot of Archie #1's for sale (albeit lower-grade) over the years relatively speaking, as compared to Pep #22.

They are both extremely rare. But Pep 22 definitely gets the nod with 7 universally graded and Archie 1 has 17. And unlike the other meg keys Archie 1 has the first full cover of Archie. Although it doesn't hurt that the Pep 22 cover is pretty good in its own right. All Star 8 has Wonder Woman's first app but no front. Compared to Sensation 1 AS 1 gets a bit of a bump. Plus the on going aspect of Archie 1 helps it.

Also, quite a few of the Archie 1's that are graded unrestored have loose covers. Looking at past sales, 3 of the G/VG's have loose covers and the 4.0 has a loose cover.

Anyway, both books are pretty darn awesome