• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's for dinner? (This thread includes secret recipes. Shhh!)

52 posts in this topic

A good friend of mine, Ron McDonald, gave me this recipe;

2 all beef patties...

special sauce

lettuce

cheese

pickles

onions on a

sesame seed bun.

Add some fries and a shake, voila', dinner is served.

CRC

Put a full stick of margarine into the pot with the macaroni and stir it until it has completely melted.

A Whole Stick! My god man that's genius! I've been only using a 1/2 stick.

(My comments on Fantasyfootballs terrific Guac recipe)

Sounds great.. it sounds like you have a firm grasp of cooking.

I was a Chef(still am at home) for about 6 different resturants over the past 15 years.

my added ingredients to your recipe would be to add:

A few dashes of hot sauce..(not tobasco.. but a Mexican pepper sauce)

A tiny pinch of "toasted" cumin

Bake(roast) your garlic a bit to mellow it out if some folks are afraid of garlic breath.

And lastly. blanch tomatoes to remove bitter tuff skins.. then(optional) roast your tomatoes in oven, to reduce the water content in them, and give them a more concentrated flavor.(chill them before adding to your Guac.)

While this roasting step does change the "fresh, raw" taste of the dish.It enhances the flavor in garlic, cumin, and tomatoes.

And to store the stuff, forget the Myth about keeping the pit in with the Guac.

Best way to keep it fresh and green, is to avoid all contact with air till served.

Place in a non reactive container. level off and squeeze additional lime juice to cover top of guac. seal as tightly as possible and it will keep for a day or two at the most.

This is one of my favorite snacks.

I might not know comics as well as you guys.. but food I do know.

Tell me what you like to eat, and I can tell you how to cook it.

I am not big on recipies as I usually just cook with my experience.

Baked goods always call for recipes though as they are an exact science.

My specialties are grilled /roasted meats.

Steaks.. chops.. fish.. chicken.

I am a wiz at Salads. dressings.. and marinadesPizza, flatbreads.

well heck.. I cook it all.

Anyhow speaking of food.. I am starving..

gota go

Zeman

Zeman,

When I want to add a little kick to it, I will mince half a fresh jalepeno pepper rather than adding in habanero sauce or similar. What I like most about this recipe is that all of the ingredients are in their raw, unprocessed, uncooked forms. My girlfriend doesn't like spicy food though, so I usually skip the jalepeno if she's going to be eating any.

I'll give the other steps you suggest a try, although I have to admit that I am a fan of the freshness and simplicity of the recipe.

One final thought re storage. What I like to do is take a piece of saran wrap and push it down right on top of the guacamole so that there is no air in the bowl at all. This eliminates the need to add lime juice, which otherwise could throw the proportion of ingredients out of whack. You are right about it lasting no more than two days in the fridge though. Even after one day, it's not as good as when it was freshly made.

(My comments on Fantasyfootballs terrific Guac recipe)

Sounds great.. it sounds like you have a firm grasp of cooking.

I was a Chef(still am at home) for about 6 different resturants over the past 15 years.

my added ingredients to your recipe would be to add:

A few dashes of hot sauce..(not tobasco.. but a Mexican pepper sauce)

A tiny pinch of "toasted" cumin

Bake(roast) your garlic a bit to mellow it out if some folks are afraid of garlic breath.

And lastly. blanch tomatoes to remove bitter tuff skins.. then(optional) roast your tomatoes in oven, to reduce the water content in them, and give them a more concentrated flavor.(chill them before adding to your Guac.)

While this roasting step does change the "fresh, raw" taste of the dish.It enhances the flavor in garlic, cumin, and tomatoes.

And to store the stuff, forget the Myth about keeping the pit in with the Guac.

Best way to keep it fresh and green, is to avoid all contact with air till served.

Place in a non reactive container. level off and squeeze additional lime juice to cover top of guac. seal as tightly as possible and it will keep for a day or two at the most.

This is one of my favorite snacks.

I might not know comics as well as you guys.. but food I do know.

Tell me what you like to eat, and I can tell you how to cook it.

I am not big on recipies as I usually just cook with my experience.

Baked goods always call for recipes though as they are an exact science.

My specialties are grilled /roasted meats.

Steaks.. chops.. fish.. chicken.

I am a wiz at Salads. dressings.. and marinadesPizza, flatbreads.

well heck.. I cook it all.

Anyhow speaking of food.. I am starving..

gota go

Zeman

Where do u live in CA????

In the valley. But sorry, the kitchen is now officially closed.

Man, oh, man, that was spectacular!!! The meat just fell apart (that's how I like it) and was so intensely moist and delicious. The roasted potatoes were superb, and the slightly candied carrots were a perfect topper. I'm stuffed!

-- Joanna

Where do u live in CA????

In the valley. But sorry, the kitchen is now officially closed.

Man, oh, man, that was spectacular!!! The meat just fell apart (that's how I like it) and was so intensely moist and delicious. The roasted potatoes were superb, and the slightly candied carrots were a perfect topper. I'm stuffed!

-- Joanna

Fine, be a tease! wink.giftongue.gif893frustrated.gif27_laughing.gif

"Wendys"....'nuff said! thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I'd cut back on the onions and include some jalapenos!

Slice off the stem end, slice lengthwise and remove the ribbing and seeds, chop up and add with the tomatoes...

Larry

As I mentioned in a prior post, you can add fresh minced jalepenos to my recipe. It adds a nice kick and still tastes nice and fresh. You don't really need to cut back on the onions though. With five avocados and only two small green onions, you don't really notice them.

Personally, I'd cut back on the onions and include some jalapenos!

Slice off the stem end, slice lengthwise and remove the ribbing and seeds, chop up and add with the tomatoes...

Larry

i use to love foil wrapped TV dinners when i was a kid, especially salisbury steak. cloud9.gif

YEAH! With the brownie! Good stuff!

I liked the meat loaf. It had a brownie, too -- and tater tots!

Zeman,

When I want to add a little kick to it, I will mince half a fresh jalepeno pepper rather than adding in habanero sauce My girlfriend doesn't like spicy food though, so I usually skip the jalepeno if she's going to be eating any.

I hear ya on the heat factor, I like my guac plain if I am eating it with a meal(which usually has enuff heat factor , and the guac is used as a "cooling element" But when eaten by itself with chips, I do like the Jalopeno, or green hot sauce additions.Also try sliced Jicama along with chips to eat guac, this was served to me at a resturant called Tompo La Bampo in Chicago( owned by Rick Baliss) as an apatizer when you sat down to your table, was surprisingly good, and healthy, and very fresh tasting.

One final thought re storage. What I like to do is take a piece of saran wrap and push it down right on top of the guacamole so that there is no air in the bowl at all. This eliminates the need to add lime juice, which otherwise could throw the proportion of ingredients out of whack.

I too use the saran wrap flush with the quac, but I failed to mention, cut back on the lime juice when making recipe, and when you top off guac with lime to person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point browning for storage, before serving give it a good stirr, and this incorperates the lime as if you are mixing it when first made( we made dozens of quart pans of this at the Resturant this way to keep a day , day and a half at most.

Well enuff about quacc... shall we next talk about what to drink with it... hrmmm what would go good with this dish...I have lots of limes, a bottle of Patron Reposado, some Contreau, and kosher salt..hrmmmmm.. what should I make 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Zeman

Zeman,

Just go for the Don Julio Anejo and forget about any flavors or salt.

Just sip that straight up (or on the rocks). It is some of the smoothest tequila on the market.

Larry

Zeman,

Just sip that straight up (or on the rocks). It is some of the smoothest tequila on the market.

Larry

I agree about the Don Julio, it is great. I have a friend who is from Oaxaca Mexico, they drink this stuff with evey meal , like Russians sip vodka

have you ever tried Patron Reposado? worth a try if you like Don J.

It is a blend and truely sublime.

And sadly my wife is not a sipper..( nor are most people who come over for a party) they like their booze mixed, no matter how fine the quality.So top shelf drinks are my wifes penchant.

Mixed with only lime juice does not mask the true flavor , like the sugar sweet and sour stuff does.

Stuff is expensive!

Zeman

Patron silver is one of my mainstays for margaritas and the reposado is great too, but for sipping. I think that it's a sin to put reposado into a margarita, but I'm weird that way. Anyway, Patron is the tequila brand I usually order around here because it is well distributed and is in most bars.

Since we're talking absolute favorites though, my favorite tequilas for blending and for sipping are a little harder to find, but they are out there: Corazon de Agave blanco for margaritas and Corazon de Agave reposado for sipping. Being something of a tequila aficionado, I can say that I've never had better tequila.

Zeman,

Larry

I agree about the Don Julio, it is great. I have a friend who is from Oaxaca Mexico, they drink this stuff with evey meal , like Russians sip vodka

have you ever tried Patron Reposado? worth a try if you like Don J.

It is a blend and truely sublime.

And sadly my wife is not a sipper..( nor are most people who come over for a party) they like their booze mixed, no matter how fine the quality.So top shelf drinks are my wifes penchant.

Mixed with only lime juice does not mask the true flavor , like the sugar sweet and sour stuff does.

Stuff is expensive!

Zeman

Patron silver is one of my mainstays for margaritas and the reposado is great too, but for sipping. I think that it's a sin to put reposado into a margarita, but I'm weird that way.

Well , I would say that what I make with top shelf stuff is not your sryupy sticky sweet resturant style margarita.

Just lime juice as a mixer.

More like a Mexican Martini.

Here is an article about Patron, so you dont think me totally crazy for making drinks with it. insane.gif

PATRON - Reposado

Description:

PATRON - Reposado is aged in oak barrels for a minimum of six months. Patron Reposado is aged and blended to incorporate the fresh clean taste of Patron Silver with a hint of the oak flavour found in Patron Anejo.Reposado style tequila has been popular in Mexico for many years and is experiencing asn excellent reception by most tequila connoisseurs world wide. Patron Reposado may be enjoyed as a sipping tequila or mixed with high quality mixers. It makes an excellant "Ultra Premium" margarita.

Patron Tequila, like the great wines and congacs of the world, is exceptional for a reason. It begins with the finest growing region in Mexico. High in the mountains of Jalisco exists a region which allows with perfect soil and climate which allows the sugar and acid balances of the Weaber Tequilana Blue Agave to mature and produce an 'Agave Ppina' unequaled elsewhere in the world. Like premium wine grapes the sugar acid balance must be perfecxt beofre harvest. Patron tequilas are the only tequilas truly produced in the traditional handmade fashion. After harvest the 'pina' are carefully selcted, trimmed and then slowly steam baked. When cooked to perfection the 'pina' is macerated with large natural stone milling wheels. The fermentation is done with the fiber of the 'pina' which helps impart its unique flavour and smoothness. After a double distillation process the tequila is aged in small oak barrels. When properly aged the tequila is fine filtered and ready for careful hand bottling.

Each bottle is invidually signed and given a unique bottle number due to the limited number produced.

Anyhow, to each his own, as long as we both enjoy it!

Zeman

Right now, I have a gorgeous roast in the oven. I make the best roast in the world. I got the recipe from my mother, who got it from her mother, who got it from her mother. It's going to slow cook for 4 or 5 hours, with carrots, onions, and potatoes. The best part are the pot roast sandwiches I'm going to have for the next few days.

My whole apartment smells like heaven. Mmmmm. Anyone want to come for dinner?

-- Joanna

Oh man, you've got me drooling! tongue.gif

My Mom used to cook roasts, meatloafs, and lots of other kinds of meat in a pressure cooker with all the veggies and onions piled in. Oh that was good - meat got so tender it just fell apart on your fork. smile.gif