• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's for dinner? (This thread includes secret recipes. Shhh!)

52 posts in this topic

Right now, I have a gorgeous roast in the oven. I make the best roast in the world. I got the recipe from my mother, who got it from her mother, who got it from her mother. It's going to slow cook for 4 or 5 hours, with carrots, onions, and potatoes. The best part are the pot roast sandwiches I'm going to have for the next few days.

My whole apartment smells like heaven. Mmmmm. Anyone want to come for dinner?

-- Joanna

Right now, I have a gorgeous roast in the oven. I make the best roast in the world. I got the recipe from my mother, who got it from her mother, who got it from her mother. It's going to slow cook for 4 or 5 hours, with carrots, onions, and potatoes. The best part are the pot roast sandwiches I'm going to have for the next few days.

-- Joanna

Mmmmm. Roast. cloud9.gif

I'd come over, but it would probably take about 6-8 hours for the commute (if I was lucky).

-- Joanna

So I take it the recipe is a secret handed down from generation to generation?

If not, please post it. thumbsup2.gif

I'd post my method of cooking Filet Mignon.. but I got it off a tv show on the Food Channel. grin.gif

If you guys and gal post the roast and filet mignon recipes, I'll post my recipe for the best damn guacamole you've ever had.

-- Joanna

So I take it the recipe is a secret handed down from generation to generation?

If not, please post it. thumbsup2.gif

I'd post my method of cooking Filet Mignon.. but I got it off a tv show on the Food Channel. grin.gif

German, my Mother arrived via boat at age 17 from Munich and still tells of the thrill of seeing the Statue of Liberty. She considers her "Coming to America" anniversary a bigger deal than her Birthday... i better not forget this year!

Oma = grandmother

Opa = grandfather

The Old Family Recipe for Pot Roast:

For a 4 lb. roast or 2 roasts of 2 lbs. each:

Good stuff:

Eye of the round or top of the round roast

A lotta carrots

2 stalks of celery

1 onion

potatoes

Sauce:

6 T. flour

2 T. brown sugar

2 t. salt

2 t. pepper

1 t. dry mustard

1 1/2 c. ketchup

3 T. worsteshire sauce

2 T. vinegar

Sear meat then place it on tin foil. Chop up the onion and celery, throw that on the roast. Peel the carrots, but leave them whole. Throw them on. Peel the potatoes, cut them in half and toss them in as well. Mix the sauce ingredients and pour it over everything. Wrap it up in lots of tin foil so that it doesn't leak. Put it on a baking sheet.

Cook at 350º for around 4 1/2 hours.

For one 2 lb. Roast, divide the sauce ingredients in half, and cook for around 3 hours.

A fat free bologna sandwich and a bowl of fat free chicken rice soup.

tongue.gif

The price I have to pay for pigging out for St Patrick's Day yesterday... 893frustrated.gif

The Best Guacamole in the World:

Ingredients:

5 ripe avocados (avocados should be slightly soft but firm to the touch, not mushy)

2 Green onions

1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

2 vine-ripened tomatoes (the redder the better)

2 limes

1 clove garlic (minced)

Sea salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Process:

Halve each of the avocados and remove the pits. Score the "meat" of the avocados lengthwise and crosswise with a knife (but don't pierce the skin from the inside) so that when you scoop out the insides, the meat comes out in 1/2 inch chunks. Put chunks of avocado into a bowl.

Slice each of the green onions lengthwise and then chop them finely until you get about two inches into the dark green section of the onion. Add the chopped green onion to the bowl, along with the finely chopped cilantro and minced (extremely finely chopped) garlic.

Cut the tomatoes into 1/2 inch chunks and add to the bowl, including all seeds and slush from inside the tomatoes.

Halve the two limes and use a lime squeezer to squeeze 1 1/2 limes worth of juice into the bowl. If you are not using a lime squeezer or other juicing mechanism (in other words, if you're squeezing them with your hands), then go ahead and squeeze all of both limes in there to make sure you get enough lime juice. Use medium sized limes so that you don't wind up with too much juice.

Add finely ground sea salt (kosher salt is also ok) and freshly ground black pepper to taste. For the pepper, I use about ten twists of the pepper mill across the top of the bowl (maybe 1/4 teaspoon). For the salt, I like to shake the shaker for about ten seconds into the bowl, so figure 1 full teaspoon, well distributed. Then mix the ingredients with your freshly washed hand, trying hard not to mash up the avocado (you want it to stay relatively chunky). Add a few more shakes of salt after mixing the first time. Check the salt level by tasting each time. Guacamole can take a lot of salt, so add a little bit at a time until you get the saltiness where you want it. Don't overmix or you'll crush up the avocado chunks and wind up with mushy guacamole (which is fine, but doesn't taste as good as the chunkier stuff).

The key to this recipe is only to use the freshest ingredients when they are perfectly ripe, but not overly so. Try it and let me know what you think. thumbsup2.gif

Cooking Filet Mignon

The key to a good steak is heat. So a cast iron skillet works wonders.

I buy Filet Mignon steaks from CostCo actually since they're USDA Choice. Pretty good quality and decently priced. (Not dry aged for months, etc. though.) Needs to be at least an inc thick generally. (Thicker the better.)

Season with salt and pepper. (I use large salt crystals and fresh ground pepper.)

(Heat the skillet up as hot as it can get.)

Put on a thin coat of oil (vegetable or olive oil, etc.)

{Preheat oven to 450 degrees)

Drop the Filet Mignon on to the skillet and sear only one side for 2-3 minutes (more depending on the thickness of the meat.) The bottom side should develop a thick crust.

Then place the entire skillet (or transfer to another oven safe holder) and bake for another 10 minutes (depending on the thickness of the filet mignon and your preference. I prefer medium rare or rare actually.)

This will cook the top part of the filet mignon but leave it soft.

(Always let the steak rest for a bit so the juices get restributed before serving.)

When you cut it, the top will be incredibly soft with a crusty base.

I usually garnish it with mushrooms/asparagus with some sort in a vinegraitte sauce, etc.

(I got this off of Food 911 on the Food Channel.)

gonna go and polish off the corned beef brisket that i slow simmered last night with potatoes, carrots and big wedges of fresh cabbage. (in honor of st patrick's day, of course). and i'm going to wash it down with a bottle of Harp Lager (or two........). grin.gif

your roast sounds excellent - will try it for sunday dinner soon........

Here's a recipe for one of my specialties...

In a medium sized pot, fill it 3/4 full of water and bring it to a boil.

Go to the cupboard and get the blue box of "Kraft - Macaroni and Cheese"

Open the box and remove the silver bag that contains the cheese "sauce".

Pour the dry macaroni into the pot and stir occasionally.

Every few minutes, remove a few of the noodles with the spoon and blow on them to cool them down a little.

Chew the noodles to check for texture.

When the noodles have softened to the perfect girth, turn off the stove and strain the noodles.

Put a full stick of margarine into the pot with the macaroni and stir it until it has completely melted.

Open the silver envelope and pour the cheese "sauce" into the pot.

Stir until the dry assed powder has been completely disolved into the buttery noodles.

Pour just a tiny splash of milk into the pot and continue to stir.

If it is a little thick, hit it with another splash of milk.

Do not over milk the macaroni! If it becomes too runny, you must start over!

Nothing is worse than runny Mac and Cheese!

893frustrated.gif

I'm happy to say that my wife is the best cook in the world.

If it wasn't for her, I would have starved to death a long time ago.

(But I *do* cook a mean bowl of Mac and Cheese!) grin.gif