• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this really a 9.8?

148 posts in this topic

how come a bad miswrap like that doesn't get dinged from being a 9.8?

It is really distracting.

CGC cuts off the allowable grade based on the size of defect (in this case miswrap).

The larger the miswrap, the lower the grade cut off.

This really only has an effect on the 9.6-10.0 range. Below that I don't think a miswrap has any effect on grade.

I think you are full of shiite. We all have seen horrific miswraps in 9.8 cases. Especially since the great Pressing Boom of 2009. It might keep a book from a 9.9+

Uh, no. A miswrap can and does drop the grade into 9.6 if it is severe enough.

Stick that shiite in where it belongs.

:P

Prove it. I can pull up a bazillion uber-miswraps.

I've talked to CGC graders about it.

(shrug)

A miswrap will affect the grade, depending on severity and the grade that the book actually is. Unless they've changed their standards on it, which I do not believe they have, it still holds as far as I know.

I've talked to CGC graders about it.

(shrug)

A miswrap will affect the grade, depending on severity and the grade that the book actually is. Unless they've changed their standards on it, which I do not believe they have, it still holds as far as I know.

Based upon the books that everyone has seen here ad infinitum, I believe that the only miswrap severe enough to keep an otherwise 9.8 book out of 9.8 would also cause it to be in a green label as a printing error. We've all seen 1/16-3/8 inch diagonal miswraps in 9.8. How much worse of one could there be, that is not a freakish green labeller.

I don't think I've ever seen a 3/8" miswrap on a 9.8 book. Ever. If you can show me one I'll admit that either I was wrong or their standards changed.

If you have a diagonal miswrap I would say that the average size (min+max/2) would be used for the grade.

On a straight miswrap it's obvious.

I've had 10.0 books knocked down to 9.9 for a small miswrap.

I've had 10.0 books knocked down to 9.8 for a slightly larger miswrap.

I've had 9.8/9.9 books knocked down to 9.6 for a large miswrap.

Again, show me these wicked 9.8 miswraps.

So far nothing you've said would stand up in court.

:baiting:

Can you show us those books you mentioned? :popcorn:

Can oyu show us those books you mentioned? :popcorn:

Let me try to recover them from my back up hard drive (my laptop crashed a few weeks ago).

Might be a while but I will post them.

(thumbs u

Let me try to recover them from my back up hard drive (my laptop crashed a few weeks ago).

(thumbs u

I've got to ask, but how did you know they were 10 books knocked down to 9.9 and 10 knocked down to 9.8?

And I spelled you correctly this time.

(thumbs u

I've got to ask, but how did you know they were 10 books knocked down to 9.9 and 10 knocked down to 9.8?

Instigator

Because on the 9.9 book I couldn't find a single freaking defect. Not one. It was perfect from every angle. I looked at the book for an hour.

On the 9.8 that was dropped down for the miswrap the graders actually remembered the book after it was graded (I called for notes) and told me it was one of the finest copies they had ever seen. One of the graders even put a "wow!" in the notes. The only defect was a miswrap.

On the 9.6 book, it was discussed extensively on here. It was the old Jason Ewert Hulk #181 9.6 that I used to own. Even Borock came on and said the book was 9.8/9.9 except for the miswrap.

Gotta fly guys.

Thats not that bad..

I agree...I just posted to show that possibly the theory that Roy has about 1/4" miswrap can knock the book down to 9.6 might not be true based on the book I posted.

perhaps, if it was 1/4" and crooked like most miswrap is, then that rule applies. (shrug)

This really only has an effect on the 9.6-10.0 range. Below that I don't think a miswrap has any effect on grade.

And even so, it has to be EXTREMELY bad to qualify, as Steve explained in those "Freakshow Books" threads. There was a CGC 9.6 ASM 129 that looked like someone had painted a big white stripe down the spine, yet it easily made the grade.

I wasn't referring to the mis-wrap so much... I meant mostly the massive CB spine tick.... but if some say that is just a scanner problem than cool.. I can see it being a weak 9.8 - I guess......

But I wonder why would someone try to sell a high priced book like that with such a glaring problem with the scanner picture? In a very bad spot mind you... I tend to think it is indeed a defect on the book....

ok, here is my worse miswrap 9.8...about 1/4" but almost straight.

Someone needs to post that freakshow WWBN 9.8 that pretty well refutes any and all claims made by the "CGC takes miswraps into account" zealots. That thing is UG-lee!