• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pop Thought Editorial On CGC, Good Or Bad?

56 posts in this topic

He collects POP CULTURE .

He's a speculator. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And the great thing is he won't refute my statement because he is ignoring my posts. 27_laughing.gif

Lee - how do you know if someone is ignoring your posts? Does it tell you when you reply to that person?

No, Brian told me I was going on his ignore user list. 27_laughing.gif He is SO sensistive. grin.gif

And the great thing is he won't refute my statement because he is ignoring my posts. 27_laughing.gif

Lee - how do you know if someone is ignoring your posts? Does it tell you when you reply to that person?

No, Brian told me I was going on his ignore user list. 27_laughing.gif He is SO sensistive. grin.gif

I wonder if he's ignoring me? He always said he would as soon as he could...

HEY, BRIAN! YOU HAVE THE PERSONALITY OF A BAG OF CEDAR CHIPS.

I wonder if he's ignoring me? He always said he would as soon as he could...

HEY, BRIAN! YOU HAVE THE PERSONALITY OF A BAG OF CEDAR CHIPS.

Homer, "MMMMmmm...chips."

Timely

Yes, to Old Guy's point, what guarantee do we have that the raw book that sold for $31 was in fact in NM/M, or for that matter that *anyone* who viewed it on eBay considered it to be NM/M ? If you wanted to really dramatize the "difference" between the raw and slabbed copies, wouldn't you seek out the eBay seller with the worst reputation for grading accuracy and use their closing price on a raw copy as the raw example?

Not saying that's what CGC did, but just the possibility seems to me to be enough to undermine the ad's argument ... while at the same time reinforcing it ("you just can't be sure if the raw copy was NM/M, without CGC's expert services") 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In case you can't read the auction number in that pic, here's the link to the $31 auction. Turns out that auction was for 2 books 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=2205584136

Yep, but I don't sit here and thrill to the aspects of diff stories that I've read a dozen times over. Simply put, rereading the same stories over and over again to me is quite boring. I didn't realize being enthralled by the stories contained in the issues was a requirement to being a collector.

Brian

I think that Bob's logic had more to do with the reasons for people storing the books away unread.

For the market to remain healthy, there should be a constant exchange of items between long-term adherents of the hobby, those that have a love for, and a dedication to, the collection and sale of items.

The problem with stock-piling is that you are doing it for one reason and one reason alone...to try to make a killing. And the real problem is, when this starts to happen, you will not be alone and at some point, you and your fellow 'hoarders' will attempt to make good on your 'investment'.

And that's when the crash occurs...

This is all about supply and demand. When the demand outstrips supply, prices rise. When the supply is falsely manipulated, prices risely unrealistically. When the supply is suddenly freed up, prices crash. Simple.

The problem is that many people have their books tucked away in their 'portfolio'. Not in their collection, but in their [!@#%^&^] 'portfolio'! When they attempt to realise the fruits of their 'investment', and discover that dealers are only prepared to offer them 50%, or 40%, or 5%, of what they paid for the item, they panic. They panic and start to 'off-load', trying desperately to retrieve a portion of their 'investment'.

And that's when the market gets flooded, prices crash and all that 'new money' that came into hobby on the back of CGC goes home and doesn't return.

And anyone who disagrees with this scenario, didn't live through 1991 and the years that followed.

The stories are okay, but I don't sit there and read them over and over again. I've probably only read over my reader copies 2 or 3 times in a period of 4 years or so.

I like the covers, Spider-man is my favorite character, I liked the cartoons, etc etc? Same reason I buy Scooby Doo stuff.

Brian

Yep, but I don't sit here and thrill to the aspects of diff stories that I've read a dozen times over. Simply put, rereading the same stories over and over again to me is quite boring. I didn't realize being enthralled by the stories contained in the issues was a requirement to being a collector.

Brian

Your comments leave me dazed and confused. Are you saying you've read stories you don't like dozens of times?

I'll reread a book again after a couple years to recall what exactly was in it, but I most definately don't read it over and over again.

Similar to only watching a movie once. One of the main reasons I don't buy many DVD's.

Brian

The stories are okay, but I don't sit there and read them over and over again. I've probably only read over my reader copies 2 or 3 times in a period of 4 years or so.

Nothing wrong with that, but your prior comments didn't reflect that you had ever read them. There's nothing that says you "have to" read comics to collect them, only that those who have no love for the hobby won't be on here gabbing about comics in a decade.

to me, it doesnt matter what book sold ungraded or for how much or the actual grade... Its advertising and they are just making a point that books sell for much much more in 9.8 than raw. We get the point, its very effective demonstartion... doe sit really matter of the Wolverine comic sells for 31 against 318, or 12 against 200????

Either way, it means "Hey kids!! send us your books and make some easy big bucks!"