• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pop Thought Editorial On CGC, Good Or Bad?

56 posts in this topic

I disagree on a few points. People keep saying there is a CGC premium, that's BS. When you buy a raw book you are actually getting a discount! You pay less for a raw book because the risk is higher, not the other way around.

Long before CGC I was paying 2-3 times guide for true NM 9.4 copies from reputable dealers who were trustworthy. Many CGC 9.4 copies trade at 2-3 Times guide now. As the market stands now (in resoect to multiples) I am getting the same book in the same grade WITH the added CGC bonus for FREE!

So please tell me how I am paying a CGC premium!?! makepoint.gif

Timely

Good point, Timely. I don't mind paying a bit more for 'the real deal', and CGC reduces the risk from the buyer's standpoint (as well as good graders such as Bob Storms).

I guess you haven't seen any of the CGC ads, where a NM+ raw sells for $1 and the CGC 9.9 equivalent goes for $500. tonofbricks.gif

416730-cgcad.jpg

I think I still have one other ad from about 2 years ago, where the price spread is larger. I'll see if I can find it grin.gif

It's called marketing and advertising. Do you really think they'd spend money to advertise their product in a negative light? I could see the ad, "Send in some of your comics, they might come back restored and be worthless." The submissions would just come piling in. Seriously..

Brian

I guess you haven't seen any of the CGC ads, where a NM+ raw sells for $1 and the CGC 9.9 equivalent goes for $500. tonofbricks.gif

416730-cgcad.jpg

I think I still have one other ad from about 2 years ago, where the price spread is larger. I'll see if I can find it grin.gif

Because both comics are in the CGC add, that implies that they graded both, but only slabbed one. If both books are the same grade (the add says they are) then that makes the slab, or "premium" $286. popcorn.gif

Yes, to Old Guy's point, what guarantee do we have that the raw book that sold for $31 was in fact in NM/M, or for that matter that *anyone* who viewed it on eBay considered it to be NM/M ? If you wanted to really dramatize the "difference" between the raw and slabbed copies, wouldn't you seek out the eBay seller with the worst reputation for grading accuracy and use their closing price on a raw copy as the raw example?

Not saying that's what CGC did, but just the possibility seems to me to be enough to undermine the ad's argument ... while at the same time reinforcing it ("you just can't be sure if the raw copy was NM/M, without CGC's expert services") 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ever heard of readers or TPB's? They do make them.

You don't HAVE to read your high grade copy of book.

The only joy you get from a comic is to read it?

From earlier post you missed:

"And please don't get into the tired "reader copy" argument, as that has absolutely nothing to do with comparing slabbed comics, coins and cards."

I was referring to real investment books, basically most comics made before Jimmy Carter was our P.

Timely

I was referring to real investment books, basically most comics made before Jimmy Carter was our P.

You should let CGC in on this little secret, as I see a helluva lot of post-Carter CGC books for sale.

"Collectors should remember that the process of certification is designed primarily as a tool for buying and selling that establishes standards in grading consistency for the hobby. Over the years, we believe more collectors will be content to leave a comic in its holder for its protection, and to enhance its liquidity if they decide to sell."

where is this statement on CGC's website?

Someone PM'd the info to me and added a little commentary for discussion:

It's in the FAQ section answering the question, "What if I want to take my comic out of your holder?". You can find it here:

http://www.cgccomics.com/faqs.htm

Also, the guy in that Popthought article is just b.tchng for the sake of b1tch1ng about CGC.

At the first of the article, he states:

"Touted as providing uniform grading services (which are not even guaranteed)..."

Later in the article he states:

"It's true you can always crack open the slab, remove the comic, and read it but by doing so you lose the guarantee of the grade of the slabbed book..."

So first he b.[!@#%^&^] about the grading not being guaranteed...then he b1tches that you can't read the book because if you crack the slab you'll lose the grade guarantee. The insufficiently_thoughtful_person is so busy with his agenda that he can't even keep his facts straight.

Fine, that don't give me that comics are only meant to be read bs.

I didn't say that, and it really comes down to:

Any slabbed collectible, be it comics, coins or cards, deserves to be freely examined and enjoyed by all levels of collector, speculator and investor audiences.

That's the inherent chink in the CGC armor, and while slabbed coins and cards are easily visible the same way as if they were raw, comics are not.

Really? I don't agree.

I don't find the stories in most to be particularly thralling, would prefer a book over a comic anyday. "Nostalgia" only goes so far..

Wait, refresh my memory - do you collect comics? I can't tell...

He collects POP CULTURE . gossip.gif

He collects POP CULTURE .

He's a speculator. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And the great thing is he won't refute my statement because he is ignoring my posts. 27_laughing.gif

Lee - how do you know if someone is ignoring your posts? Does it tell you when you reply to that person?