• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What were the most Negative comic book 2010 moments?

30 posts in this topic

For me it was the modern publishers still publishing multiple variant covers, putting Deadpool in a zillion books, heroes dying and coming back to life and the cancelling of a long running titles and renumbering them with a #1.

If you have any other 2010 negative news about comics chime in.

Happy New Year

For me it was the modern publishers still publishing multiple variant covers, putting Deadpool in a zillion books, heroes dying and coming back to life and the cancelling of a long running titles and renumbering them with a #1.

Happy New Year

Agree with all of that. (thumbs u

Can I also add in the employment of talentless arseholes as 'artists', computer inking and colouring, Hex and the Green Lantern trailer.

Happy New Year

+2

All of those are why i stopped reading moderns 15 years ago and haven't come back. I'd rather read SA/BA books even if i've already read them than the modern stuff coming out.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the need for 50 different Xmen/ASM titles each month or a Hulk for every color of the rainbow :eyeroll:

Why is Brightest Day still going on? Why did the "death" of Bruce Wayne have to be drawn out over a zillion cross-overs and minis? Why do we need umpty-bazillion Bat-books? Why did Marvel feel the need to ruin Daredevil with the Shadowland cross-over? And Iron Fist got cancelled. That was a great book.

I'm getting tired of the overwhelming volume of books solicited in Previews without any cover art, sometimes just page after page of empty, black rectangles, and with minimal disclosure about what's in the product itself, just the same old, vacuous promise of things 'never being the same again' . This strategy is so overused now that it generates little excitement or mystery -it's simply irritating and makes me immediately turn the page and move on to something else.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the need for 50 different Xmen/ASM titles each month or a Hulk for every color of the rainbow :eyeroll:

Because with actual readership shrinking to microscopic levels, the publishers *need* those hardcore fools to buy more books and more books per month to keep them afloat.

Happy New Year

Can I also add in the employment of talentless arseholes as 'artists', computer inking and colouring, Hex and the Green Lantern trailer.

... and lettering (what text there is).

Happy New Year

+2

All of those are why i stopped reading moderns 15 years ago and haven't come back. I'd rather read SA/BA books even if i've already read them than the modern stuff coming out.

Most of the criticisms you just gave refer to the early to mid 1990s and don't apply to 2000 - 2010 books at all--there were huge improvements to comic quality during that time. The number of spinoff titles reduced as well, although the answer to why there were so many is because X-Men and Spider-Man were so popular in the 1990s and still are today. Computer coloring may be the single greatest innovation to comics in the last two decades--it's just aesthetically fantastic and gives a better look than was possible before. The writing has rarely been better overall as well, comics draw more "real" writers with literary degrees than it ever did in the past.

The main negative for me is the same every year--crusty old farts dumping all over new comics without even reading them or giving them a chance. :sorry::baiting: There's just fantastic new stuff coming out every year, and at least every five years, something groundbreaking comes out. Ultimate Spider-Man and Walking Dead were my favorite two titles of the 2000s. Bendis' run on Daredevil was hugely memorable as well.

I suppose the most negative thing that was unique to 2000 is no fantastic comic book films were released...Iron Man 2 was just average.

Happy New Year

... and lettering (what text there is).

Both a detriment to enjoying the OA but neither began or came into widespread use in 2010, it's been years.

Happy New Year

+2

Most of the criticisms you just gave refer to the early to mid 1990s and don't apply to 2000 - 2010 books at all--there were huge improvements to comic quality during that time. The number of spinoff titles reduced as well, although the answer to why there were so many is because X-Men and Spider-Man were so popular in the 1990s and still are today. Computer coloring may be the single greatest innovation to comics in the last two decades--it's just aesthetically fantastic and gives a better look than was possible before. The writing has rarely been better overall as well, comics draw more "real" writers with literary degrees than it ever did in the past.

The main negative for me is the same every year--crusty old farts dumping all over new comics without even reading them or giving them a chance. :sorry::baiting: There's just fantastic new stuff coming out every year, and at least every five years, something groundbreaking comes out. Ultimate Spider-Man and Walking Dead were my favorite two titles of the 2000s. Bendis' run on Daredevil was hugely memorable as well.

I suppose the most negative thing that was unique to 2000 is no fantastic comic book films were released...Iron Man 2 was just average.

Taste is highly subjective (shrug)

Computer coloring may be the single greatest innovation to comics in the last two decades--it's just aesthetically fantastic and gives a better look than was possible before.

We're going to have to beg to differ on this, as I think it's the single worst thing to happen to books over the decade. It makes the art look washed out and confusing and don't get me started on what it does to covers.

A wiser man than I said many years back here on the boards that one of the reasons why comics sold to kids back in the 60s/70s was because the primary colours on the covers used to jump off the shelves at them. Kids love primary, bright colours and they sold books.

Now every cover looks like it's been washed 72 times and they all look the bloody same. doh!

Happy New Year

I agree with all this too!

Because with actual readership shrinking to microscopic levels, the publishers *need* those hardcore fools to buy more books and more books per month to keep them afloat.

What ever happened to great story lines, great art and artists and nice paper to print all this on like the 60's-70's, especially the 70's?