• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 5* Results

49 posts in this topic

Nik-Grading-contest.jpg

2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest: Round 5 Results

Marvel Superhero Secret Wars #8 - WHITE pages

Actual Grade: CGC 9.8

th_Round5-sw8001.jpg th_Round5-SecretWars8f.jpg th_Round5-SecretWars8b.jpg

2010 Grading Contest: Round 5 Grade Breakdowns

Round5-GradeBreakDown.png

2010 Grading Contest: Round 5 Results - By Place

Round5-Results.png

Round 5 Commentary

The first round of 2011 finds toro stumbling and notching 3 points but still remaining in a tie for First Place.

Moving up into a tie for first place is inconceivable and mrlatko. :applause:

Contestants to watch: Canickus, dwip99, Mutie Fan, Timmay, JWK, namisgr, Senormac, Silver, and skypinkblu, all of whom have NOW notched THREE straight bullseyes the last three rounds! Incredible! :acclaim:

Now get over to the Auction Closings in the VCC Hall!

My first thought was 9.8, 2nd was 9.6, then I saw what I thought was a 1/4" edge tear on the back, so I blew it again. :(

I hear you Matt. Second-guessing the BC of this one started to make me nuts. I will say, when grading this one I remembered back to some of the rounds in Nik's old contests ... many times I dinged a very-sharp-looking book for "phantom defects", defects I saw in the scans that either just plain weren't there ???(shrug) or that CGC must not have counted in the final grade (production, etc). Tough to do this from scans... obviously. :insane:

Here's a thought. When there's a production crease that looks like a tear, how about letting us know it's a production crease. I'm not Karnak the Magnificent.