• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick question - can someone tell me the exact dimensions of a CGC slab?

17 posts in this topic

Quick favor to ask of anyone who has a tape measure and CGC slab handy - can you tell me what is the EXACT length and width of a slab? I'm looking to buy a lockbox or home safe now, and need to make sure my slabs will fit.

Thanks,

Gene

21 cm x 33 cm

:baiting:

...actually a few millimetres smaller but that should do you.

2.54 cm in an inch so 8.26" x 12.99"

Thanks, Roy. (thumbs u

Next question is whether anyone knows of a good safe or lockable storage box they can recommend. Probably looking more for a small lockbox, just to discourage opportunistic theft, rather than something big and bulky designed to withstand fire...my slabs aren't worth all that much. :blush:

Thanks, Roy. (thumbs u

Next question is whether anyone knows of a good safe or lockable storage box they can recommend. Probably looking more for a small lockbox, just to discourage opportunistic theft, rather than something big and bulky designed to withstand fire...my slabs aren't worth all that much. :blush:

I'd get a safe that holds bullion as well. Almost time for another round of buying.

:shy:

Thanks, Roy. (thumbs u

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4503682#Post4503682

:whistle:

I actually buy cases like this for tech equipment... They have foam with small removable cubes so you can customize the cutout shapes. For a basically rectangular box-like cutout, that would be relatively simple actually. This one with wheels is only $260. 33" x 22" x 17"

(They probably have custom extruded foam inserts. These you have to excavate the foam yourself.)

61dh4R0oRrL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61tK-Uruo8L._AC_SL1443_.jpg

Edited by sckao

On 10/26/2021 at 4:05 PM, sckao said:

I actually buy cases like this for tech equipment... They have foam with small removable cubes so you can customize the cutout shapes. For a basically rectangular box-like cutout, that would be relatively simple actually. This one with wheels is only $260. 33" x 22" x 17"

(They probably have custom extruded foam inserts. These you have to excavate the foam yourself.)

61dh4R0oRrL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61tK-Uruo8L._AC_SL1443_.jpg

At first, I thought they might be for musical equipment like amps or speakers, but the tech thing also makes sense.

A small lockbox is liable to end up in a burglar's bag.

A burglar probably won't pass up a small lockbox that is easy to carry.  Also, I'm not sure how difficult it is to crack/open most small lockboxes with common tools... I bet it is easy... Hammer, chisel.

My goal for a safe would be: very difficult to crack, too big and heavy for a burglar to walk away with it