• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone tried the comic cubes and or condos?

42 posts in this topic

I'm actually working on wooden storage system similar to the comic book cubes for myself - I've had to take a break because of the freezing cold, but should be done in a couple of months.

Here's a couple of shots of the in-progress cabinets & drawers - the finished version will have a front-plate on the drawer (and a handle), so the visible gap between the drawers will be minimal.

homemadecubes1.jpg

homemadecubes2.jpg

I'm building a total of 45 cubes that are a little over 8" wide (so they'll fit anything up to & including the E Gerber Golden Age size), and another 10 that are sized for CGC slabs & magazines.

Or I might just steal this. :)

I'm actually working on wooden storage system similar to the comic book cubes for myself - I've had to take a break because of the freezing cold, but should be done in a couple of months.

Here's a couple of shots of the in-progress cabinets & drawers - the finished version will have a front-plate on the drawer (and a handle), so the visible gap between the drawers will be minimal.

I'm building a total of 45 cubes that are a little over 8" wide (so they'll fit anything up to & including the E Gerber Golden Age size), and another 10 that are sized for CGC slabs & magazines.

Once I'm done, I'll happily post the plans :thumbsup:

homemadecubes1.jpg

homemadecubes2.jpg

Very nice! Please post pictures of the completed project and the plans!!

Very cool. I am handy enough that I can knock that out. Thanks Michael. (thumbs u

Very cool. I am handy enough that I can knock that out. Thanks Michael. (thumbs u

I might be able to do everything but the front plates, unless they are pre made or something hm

I might be able to do everything but the front plates, unless they are pre made or something hm

If you can mange everything else, I think the front plates will be the easy part.

Regardless, if Michael is posting the plans after he is done, I am sure they will detailed enough that a Caveman could do it. :)

homemadecubes1.jpg

homemadecubes2.jpg

Nice!! (thumbs u

I was wondering about these at NYCC. Doesn't most wood off-gas, as do a lot of finishes?

I'm thinking metal w/ epoxy finish is a much safer bet. Anyone do any conservation reading on the subject?

There's no question that metal is the safer choice (powder-coated steel is better than a baked coating, though), but by using the correct type of wood (staying well clear of oak, for instance) and the correct sealers, you can very much minimize wood's inherent off-gassing.

If you really want to go nuts, you can also coat the inside of your wood cabinets with a nylon/poly barrier such as Marvelseal.

Here's some reading on the subject:

http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets/4Storage_and_Handling/02StorageFurniture.php

As a point of reference, I'm triple-coating my pieces with a water-based polyurethane sealer.

Doesn't most wood off-gas, as do a lot of finishes?

I'm thinking metal w/ epoxy finish is a much safer bet. Anyone do any conservation reading on the subject?

Legal size HON filing cabinets

Are super expensive.

homemadecubes1.jpg

homemadecubes2.jpg

So your getting rid of all those beautiful black file cabinets??

Are super expensive.

Custom wood cabinets are cheap?

I got a couple legal size HON filing cabinets for $30-$40 ea. at a goodwill auction. They said they have them all the time (weekly auction) because they don't put them in the stores (take up too much space).

Don't get any other brand, because the drawer depth is not enough.

I was wondering about these at NYCC. Doesn't most wood off-gas, as do a lot of finishes?

There's no question that metal is the safer choice (powder-coated steel is better than a baked coating, though), but by using the correct type of wood (staying well clear of oak, for instance) and the correct sealers, you can very much minimize wood's inherent off-gassing.

If you really want to go nuts, you can also coat the inside of your wood cabinets with a nylon/poly barrier such as Marvelseal.

Here's some reading on the subject:

http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets/4Storage_and_Handling/02StorageFurniture.php

As a point of reference, I'm triple-coating my pieces with a water-based polyurethane sealer.

Do you have to coat the entire interior of the storage cabinet or just the inner lining of the drawers? Also if Oak (my favorite wood) is the worse which is the best?

Thanks

Are super expensive.

Custom wood cabinets are cheap?

I got a couple legal size HON filing cabinets for $30-$40 ea. at a goodwill auction. They said they have them all the time (weekly auction) because they don't put them in the stores (take up too much space).

Don't get any other brand, because the drawer depth is not enough.

The expense, size and weight have been the thing that has held me back from getting filing cabinets. I have not been able to find an auction in my area so my only option would be a new one which is expensive and not very aesthetically pleasing. Also the HON cabinets only come in certain sizes and dimensions and there are very few configurations. I had a room built on the top floor where I store my books and due to the roof line I have a significant limitation to the height of the cabinets.

I recently went to using comic drawers after using bagsunlimited's plastic boxes (which were great until they changed the lids now - not so great) on chrome wire shelves. Although the comic drawers give me more space and access to the books I am not a fan of cardboard. That was the reason I went to plastic in the first place I just out grew my space and now have a lot of left over plastic boxes.

So I am looking for an alternate to cardboard and wood seemed to be the best alternative, for all the reasons I stated above, that was until I learned about the off gassing in this thread.

Now I am completely perplexed on which way to go!