• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best series of all time?

121 posts in this topic

I think that the EC New Trend books published from 1950-55 are the best group of comics in history overall. They had few recurring characters, so I don't know if you can call it a "series", but they are still great to read today.

In terms of consistant quality of art and writing, this would be hard to argue.

Batgirl.
I have really grown to appreciate Barbara Gordon, not enough to read Birds of Prey tough.

The new series with Stephanie Brown is *really* good. Aside from the one shot where Bruce Wayne comes back, every issue has been a ton of fun to read.

I'd go with Detective over Batman. You get the first appearance, Slam Bradley in the early issues, early Martian Manhunter, Aquaman stories to laugh at, and in the last 40 years, some O'Neil/Adams stories, Batgirl backups, first appearance of the one true Batgirl, the Englehart/Rodgers run, and recently, a great Dini run along with a great Batwoman run.
I would love to agree, but the past few years it seems the Batman popular is much more popular. Plus the past year of Detective with the Batwoman have stunk, I really labored through that run. Right now, I am back to enjoying the book.

Bite your tongue! The Batwoman run was the shizzzit!

Batgirl.
I have really grown to appreciate Barbara Gordon, not enough to read Birds of Prey tough.

The new series with Stephanie Brown is *really* good. Aside from the one shot where Bruce Wayne comes back, every issue has been a ton of fun to read.

What was her name before? Wasnt she Robins GF or something?

I'd go with Detective over Batman. You get the first appearance, Slam Bradley in the early issues, early Martian Manhunter, Aquaman stories to laugh at, and in the last 40 years, some O'Neil/Adams stories, Batgirl backups, first appearance of the one true Batgirl, the Englehart/Rodgers run, and recently, a great Dini run along with a great Batwoman run.
I would love to agree, but the past few years it seems the Batman popular is much more popular. Plus the past year of Detective with the Batwoman have stunk, I really labored through that run. Right now, I am back to enjoying the book.

Bite your tongue! The Batwoman run was the shizzzit!

The art was terrible at best, the question backup with Renee Montoya was junky as well. And I just dont like this Batwoman at all.

Uncle Scrooge: started by Barks then to reprints but with the addition of the great work of the Italian and Brazilian crew until Rosa becomes the new master.

No question in my mind that this is it (thumbs u

For series with less than 100 issues, I'd probably go with Sandman.

The reaction you will get from most people of my generation is, "Fantastic Four". I didn't think of Uncle Scrooge but it would be the peak for quality and consistency. It is hard to compare them. And though not a personal favourite, you have to hand it to Dave Sim for his 25 year run on Cerebus. Some issues were better than others but there wasn't a ten year long drop of quality like there was on the FF after Kirby left.

I think that the EC New Trend books published from 1950-55 are the best group of comics in history overall. They had few recurring characters, so I don't know if you can call it a "series", but they are still great to read today.

Absolutely. I don't think many people know just how many movies are based upon an EC story and I have yet to own a lame issue. Can't say that about any other series.

Batgirl.

She was Spoiler, daughter of Cluemaster. And yes, she was involved with Robin at one point.

Batgirl.

She was Spoiler, daughter of Cluemaster. And yes, she was involved with Robin at one point.

It was driving me nuts, thank you!