• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best series of all time?

121 posts in this topic

As far as series that I have read and finished. I would rank my top 4

1. Sandman

2. Preacher

3. Y: The Last Man

4. Transmetropolitan

I grew up on Marvels in the 60s! The first hundred issues of FF, Spidey and even most Avengers were great. But once they went further,,,not so good.

So like the above I'd go.

1) Sandman

2) Fables

3) Y: The Last Man

As my Top 3. In another few years I'd add the Walking Dead.

Cerebus :sumo:

1st Runner up: Usagi Yojimbo

2nd Runner up: Nexus (it's over 100 issues total, and even counting the less than stellar Rude-less issues of the original run, it still evens out as an amazing series!)

Of course, if we go below the 100 issue limit, then yeah, Sandman and Starman are definitely up there somewhere...

As for the classic titles from the big two, I'd take Batman over ASM and FF any day. It may not have had as many exceptional highs as the other two, but it didn't have as many abysmal lows either.

(I'm surprised at all the love Hellblazer gets. I found the issues after Ennis' run almost unreadable. I stopped reading somewhere around 130 and I still felt that I had given way too many chances to the title (shrug) )

Well, if we're going under 100 issues, Astro City for sure.

Great call.

Under 100, "MIracleman" and "Planetary" are the absolute best (both were very "short lived" issue-wise).

For extended stories (50-100 issues).. "Preacher" and "Sandman" are the tops. But "Astro City" is right there at #3. Every single arc is fantastic. Busiek and Anderson created a great universe of super-humans (heroes and villains).

Also, of course, a "tip of the hat" to Eduardo Risso & Brian Azzarello for "100 Bullets". Lost a little steam (for me) late in the game, but a great book. Same creative team thru the entire series (down to the letterer). Great ending.

Watchmen - next question.

Longevity should never be confused with quality, as the two are mutually exclusive. That's like saying George Burns in the best actor in the history of cinema just because he lived to be 100.

Longevity should never be confused with quality, as the two are mutually exclusive. That's like saying George Burns in the best actor in the history of cinema just because he lived to be 100.

Watchmen is great, no doubt about it. Miracleman was better.

Not in my book, and I feel that (other than the killer end sequence) is quite overrated for the first 10 or so issues/reprints. The revolving door of artists didn't help either and Gaiman's work is weaker than Moore's - in terms of a complete series I would not only put Watchmen ahead, but V for Vendetta as well.

I think the Moore ending, potentially one of the best sequences ever in comics, is great for the ADD crowd, since that is all they remember. :insane:

Not in my book, and I feel that (other than the killer end sequence) is quite overrated for the first 10 or so issues/reprints. The revolving door of artists didn't help either, and I would not only put Watchmen ahead, but V for Vendetta as well.

The first time I read "V" the whole way thru, I thought it was the "pinnacle". In subsequent readings it's still better than most, but didn't hold up as well as "Watchmen" or "MM".

I agree with you that the first acr & a half (the reprints) aren't "great". But, the following issues, especially the "Olympus" arc, are some of the best comics ever written. "Blow-your-mind" type stuff; what would it really be like to live-amongst super-beings.

As far as the revolving door of artists, I can see your point. However, just when I was getting used to Leach, he's replaced by Totlebon; one of the best artists the medium has ever seen (he doesn't get mentioned in the same breath as Kirby, Romita, Adams, Buscema, etc...; but he should). The series just got better as it went along. I know you'd agree that "Olympus" is a Top 10 (probably Top 5) arc ever. Moore at his absolute finest (which is much better than an artist at his peak).

And then Gaiman picks it up, from a whole new perspective, and doesn't miss a beat. Perfect transition.

Give me Fables. 100 issues of fantastic-ness.

Pat

The Great Fables Cross-over :screwy::baiting:

Probably the only issues I didn't care for. In the scheme of things, I think it was only 3 issues (not including Jack of Fables and that mini).

The reveal of the Adversary and the huge war were so good. Even the story leading up to 100 has been really good.

Willingham doesn't get the respect he really deserves. His Proposition Player was fantastic.

Pat