• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #1 CGC 2.5 sells for $36,500

38 posts in this topic

Yeah that is one fugly 2.5!!! My Bat #1 1.0 has much better eye appeal. Also the Supes #1 CGC 1.8 looks wayy better than this one thus it sold for a premium.

This copy does not present well at all. The staining/foxing/chipping at the top just don't seem to be defects that would be allowed on a 2.5.

Probably why it sold under guide (the old "buy the book, not the label"). All that being said, it's unrestored and I've love to have any copy of a Sup #1 in my collection! Unfortunately, my budget can only afford a CGC .125 copy! :boo:

All that being said, it's unrestored and I've love to have any copy of a Sup #1 in my collection! Unfortunately, my budget can only afford a CGC .125 copy! :boo:

Those are TOUGH to find. And believe me, I've looked. :taptaptap:

For comparison's sake:

Supes 1 - 2.5

sup16891a.jpg

Action 1 - 1.8 & 2.5

Action1.jpg

Action118.jpg

And my Tec 35 - 1.0

(Does have Slightly Brittle PQ and some spine splits but cover is still attached firmly at both staples)

Tec35fc.jpg

Tec35bc.jpg

In this case I'd take a 1.0 all day long.

Sometimes you gotta wonder about grades....

Is it possible to steam-clean a comic to kill/remove mold? Or would that be considered restoration? (That is, would it be considered restoration when submitted to CGC?)

Not sure, but it is only resto if they catch it.......... lol

Is it possible to steam-clean a comic to kill/remove mold? Or would that be considered restoration? (That is, would it be considered restoration when submitted to CGC?)

Not sure, but it is only resto if they catch it.......... lol

If the mold on this book were removed (no doubt greatly improving it) I suspect the market price would plummet if it were in a purple label. Seems pretty stupid in this case that such would happen. Sometimes the purple discount makes no sense.

sup16891a.jpg

Just Sold for $36,500 on comicconnect

Which Ironically is under-guide. OSPG 40 G+ 2.5 guide is roughly $37,500.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=388897&enlarge=2

Recently, GPA notes a CGC 2.0 sold for $19,120 Feb-2010 and a CGC 1.8 sold for $28,000 Sept-2010

Did a lucky boardie snatch it? :popcorn:

Is it just me that thinks 2.5 on this fugly book was a generous grade (shrug)

It looks like the long lost brother of the (in)famous CGC 2.5 Action 1

Action1.jpg

The myth, the legend, the mold.

Action Comics #1 "CGC 2.5"

:roflmao:

Definitely makes you wonder about the inconsistentcy of CGC grading sometimes! :P

My only CGC 2.5 copy of a GA book looks like a killer copy compared to these two dogs with fleas. lol

And my Tec 35 - 1.0

(Does have Slightly Brittle PQ and some spine splits but cover is still attached firmly at both staples)

Tec35fc.jpg

Tec35bc.jpg

WOW! Your 1.0 looks much nicer than the 1.8 and two 2.5s - I'd buy key GA 1.0s that looked like that all day long! For such a low grade book, wouldn't think the SB pgs would have that much on an impact on final grade. Unfortunately, you need to hold the book itself to really determine a comprehensive grade.

Wonder if the book had something to do with the more generous grades? A Detective #35 is nothing the sneeze at, but Action #1 and Superman #1 are at the top of any grails list (at least mine)!

And my Tec 35 - 1.0

Tec35fc.jpg

Tec35bc.jpg

WOW! Your 1.0 looks much nicer than the 1.8 and two 2.5s - I'd buy key GA 1.0s that looked like that all day long! For such a low grade book, wouldn't think the SB pgs would have that much on an impact on final grade. Unfortunately, you need to hold the book itself to really determine a comprehensive grade.

Wonder if the book had something to do with the more generous grades? A Detective #35 is nothing the sneeze at, but Action #1 and Superman #1 are at the top of any grails list (at least mine)!

Very true. And withhold cracking the slab I will have never truly held it. I'm sure since CGC says its a 1.0 it is a 1.0 even if it displays very well. There is damage going on at the spine area (spine splits on the cover). Just a fun comparison.

I've always wonder that as well, about the book (Action 1, Tec 27, etc.), but I generally don't think so. That pictured 1.8 looks very bad but I can defiantly see it being a 1.8. The Superman 1 2.5 is a stretch and is fugly but "technically" 2.5

While I never have really disagreed with CGC on a grade (and probably never will) - still that CGC 2.5 Action 1 has to make a guy wonder. (though I sure there may be some just reason - but as I recall I think a board member mentioned a grader regretted the 2.5) hm

And my Tec 35 - 1.0

Tec35fc.jpg

Tec35bc.jpg

This is about as sharp as you'll ever see a 1.0. :o

And to have come from the personal collection of one of the greatest creators in the history of our hobby... :cloud9: