• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 9* Results

96 posts in this topic

Seriously, no cheating was done

No cheating, but lots and lots and lots and lots of in-depth research and data mining.

I went back and it was simplicity itself to *exactly* identify 6 of the first 9 grades, and get between 2-3 choices on the other 3.

I tried the same strategy on the Iron Man and nailed it no problem. But that's not why I'm here, as evidenced by me CGC 1.8 guess on AF 15 - I went back right after and properly identified it could have either been a CGC 1.5 (highest percentage) or 2.0 (dark horse), and nothing else.

Exactly. The first thing I do is grab books from my own collection that I think are near that grade I want to give the book and use those as a scale.

Ummm, that's not what I'm talking about. When I say EXACTLY identify 6 of 9 grades, I mean E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. :makepoint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining

Data mining is seen as an increasingly important tool by modern business to transform data into business intelligence giving an informational advantage.

No cheating, but lots and lots and lots and lots of in-depth research and data mining.

I went back and it was simplicity itself to *exactly* identify 6 of the first 9 grades, and get between 2-3 choices on the other 3.

I tried the same strategy on the Iron Man and nailed it no problem. But that's not why I'm here, as evidenced by me CGC 1.8 guess on AF 15 - I went back right after and properly identified it could have either been a CGC 1.5 (highest percentage) or 2.0 (dark horse), and nothing else.

Exactly. The first thing I do is grab books from my own collection that I think are near that grade I want to give the book and use those as a scale.

Ummm, that's not what I'm talking about. When I say EXACTLY identify 6 of 9 grades, I mean E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. :makepoint:

Data mining is seen as an increasingly important tool by modern business to transform data into business intelligence giving an informational advantage.

Are we not allowed to look at other books? (shrug)

Had no intention of stirring anybody up.

I gave the book my best guess and was Wrong

Are we not allowed to look at other books? (shrug)

Did you even bother to click the link? Or read the part where I said "this is NOT what I'm talking about"? meh

This is the first time I broke out my OS grading guide. It was between 1.0 and 1.5. I thought the FC chunk was too big to go 1.5. I guess I should have applied the nik bump. Would have been another bullseye. Oh well. 3 points aint bad

This is the first time I broke out my OS grading guide. It was between 1.0 and 1.5. I thought the FC chunk was too big to go 1.5. I guess I should have applied the nik bump. Would have been another bullseye. Oh well. 3 points aint bad

I thought the missing chunk was too large as well and did the exact same thing.

Oh well, live and learn.

Of course I'm sure you were just reading that guide for fun and not mining any data huh? ;)

Overall though, I'll gladly take the 3 points.

Thanks Joe. :)

All the above is why we love you so much. :applause:

Hey, I better leave well enough alone, and like Sacko said, there is a lot of data out there and it's not expressly against the rules to use it.

I just can't post it. :insane:

The contest is being sprinkled with books from random invoices. Not all the books received the benefit of the fabled Nik bump. :gossip:

The contest is being sprinkled with books from random invoices. Not all the books received the benefit of the fabled Nik bump. :gossip:

lol How would anyone know whether it got the fabled bump or not?