• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for general info on this X-Over promo piece

17 posts in this topic

My co-worker worked in the marketing dept. at Marvel in the mid '90s and has this piece that is unsigned. He doesn't know the artist or what it may have been used for- maybe a comic shop poster, or interior comic pages (it's a double page, taped together). Anyone have any ideas?

photo.jpg[/img]

It's from the 4 issue mini-series.

DC vs Marvel (issues # 1 and # 4) or Marvel vs DC (issues # 2 and # 3) drawn by Dan Jurgen and / or Claudio Castellini circa 1996.

Captain Marvel vs Thor, Flash vs Quicsilver, Catwoman vs Elektra, Green Lantern vs. Silver Surfer.

There were other battles (Wolverine vs lobo, Superman vs Hulk, Batman vs Captain America, Storm vs Wonder Woman, Spider-Man vs Superboy).

I have the TPB cover by Jurgens in my CAF.

Cheers!

N.

The characters in the background are two cosmic beings that each are the embodiment/representation of the Marvel and DC universes. I don't believe they were given names, but when they merged, that gave birth to the Amalgam universe.

:)

Gary Frank, not Jurgens? Hmmm... I will be taking the piece home and scan it for more detail- I've been stuck in my hometown all week where I work because of the snowstorm but will be going home tonight to ((shudder)) shovel. Hope to have better details posted tonight... the art is very well done, everyone here who's had a look is impressed. Thanks for the additional insight, guys! We're still wondering if maybe it was for a poster to advertise the series. I did a google and ebay search for DC VS MARVEL POSTER and couldn't find this art- maybe it was not even used... thanks again, all!

Jim

It's definetely not done by Jurgens. It doesn't match his style.

I agree with it being some sort of promotional artwork. If not a poster, maybe it was a cover to Previews magazine. The four battles in your art were all secondary battles featured in the Marvel vs DC series while the main event battles were Superman/Hulk, Batman/Captain America, Wonder Woman/Storm, Wolverine/Lobo, and Spider-Man/Superboy. This must be playing up that aspect.

Wasn't there a way for fans to vote prior to the series on the result of each of the battles? This could be linked to that, but I thought the voting was restricted to only the main event battles.

I just flipped through the TPB for DC vs Marvel and do not see the image from the mini-series so it might be a promo piece. Whether it was published or not is a different issue. The art is definitely tied into the mini-series though.

The villian is The Living Tribunal.

Wikepedia has a nice summary if you search DC vs Marvel.

Cheers!

N.

The characters in the background are two cosmic beings that each are the embodiment/representation of the Marvel and DC universes. I don't believe they were given names, but when they merged, that gave birth to the Amalgam universe.

:)

I feel like I glossed over this post, but was at work, so can't really spend time on here like I can at home. Thanks for this excellent info on the amalgamated cosmic being(s)!

(thumbs u

Thanks to all for the help! My friend was interested in selling the piece but with no signature on it, finding out who the artist is was a major hurdle to overcome. We put it up on ebay last night for 5 days, so we'll see what happens...