• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How high will this one go???

29 posts in this topic

I dunno, but I don't get why he's selling it now and not 3 months from now when the Spidey 2 movie gets Spidey collecting juices flowing again. Also, if he's planning on using the illegal auction title spam as an out, he cutting it awfully close! shocked.gif

I dunno, but I don't get why he's selling it now and not 3 months from now when the Spidey 2 movie gets Spidey collecting juices flowing again. Also, if he's planning on using the illegal auction title spam as an out, he cutting it awfully close! shocked.gif

I think the juices are already flowing on this one. I have been tracnking ASM #1's since October since I am in the market for one, and Even lower to mid grade books between 3.0 - 6.0 are increasing quite a bit so a heavy hitter like a 9.6 will certainly fetch a pretty penny. I do agree that holding off say another month and a half might bring an ever higher return, but a lot of speculators are jumping on these books early in hopes of flipping them for a profit a few months down the road so........it's still not a bad time.

Perhaps he's cashing out before the crash. gossip.gif

I hope that JP realizes that his high bidder "Subverter" has only spent over $100 in one instance ($125.00) on a comic! A look at his feedback sure doesn't portray him as a likely candidate for purchasing a $100,000.00 comic! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=subverter

From looking at the top bidders, for my money, look to CoinSilver as the top contender, unless Mamanook and Zaq12 step in at the last second to make a late inning save. Link may be considered a late minute sniper that may really want it for his site too.

I feel bad for Bullet. I think he's the bidder that really wants it and he's already up against at least 2 "ringers" before last call even begins, bringing in the heavy hitters, and the mustard flies off the hotdog!

I hope that JP realizes that his high bidder "Subverter" has only spent over $100 in one instance ($125.00) on a comic! A look at his feedback sure doesn't portray him as a likely candidate for purchasing a $100,000.00 comic! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I had noticed the same thing, as the name was not one I'd seen bidding on really big ticket books before.

Thrill/Joy bidder?

Books like this are the perfect candidates for the Ebay "Seller Pre-Approved" auctions. That feature is available and with no reserve, huge opener, or BIN, I'm very surprised that JP wouldn't pre-approve his bidders on a book like this and saince it's Ebay, I'm doubly surprised.

It's very easy. We've seen it used on "scam" auctions a few times (remember the Spiderman 9 CGC 9.6 auction where the image was stolen from link and the seller had a BIN of only $3000 or some crazy low price, only you had to get pre-approved to bid?) and this is certainly one instance where it could have been put to good use on a legit book from a legit seller.

If you want to bid, you ask the seller for permission and he adds your name to the pre-approved list enabling you to bid on the item. I don't think that using that feature would have terribly inconvenienced anyone on a $100,000+ comic having to simply pre-register plus I would feel alot better knowing that I was bidding against pre-approved bidders if I were a player for this book.

It's just very unsettling from a buyer's standpoint to see a price being bid up and up by Ebayers who's feedback profiles show very few serious comic purchases of low dollar value, if at all. I know that the book will go for what it goes for and it's the final seconds that matter, but maintaining the appearance of a carefully policed auction should translate out to more buyer confidence, not only of the book itself but how the gavel price is acheived.

JP is smarter than the average bear and there must be some reason why he didn't use that feature, but I think that this would have been the perfect item for that function.

there must be some reason why he didn't use that feature

Because its free advertising for him? A book that gets bid up that high gets the seller noticed, whoever is bidding thumbsup2.gif

Funny though, I can still se it disappearing some time soon 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, it finished at $107,655.55.

Not too shabby.

Good old bullet123 certainly made a run at it. Who is AST11 or whatever the name of the winner is? Is he/they a real player?

Well, it finished at $107,655.55.

Not too shabby.

Good old bullet123 certainly made a run at it. Who is AST11 or whatever the name of the winner is? Is he/they a real player?

He's Chris Bell. He was offering the Vancouver collection for sale as a whole! Looks like he might have sold it. confused-smiley-013.gif

He's Chris Bell. He was offering the Vancouver collection for sale as a whole! Looks like he might have sold it. confused-smiley-013.gif

So he's a dealer?

He's a local dealer that specializes in liquidation goods and used goods. I went to high school with him and apparently he's been a collector for quite a while. He mostly buys on eBay. He may list some books for sale but the prices are usually high.

So he's a dealer?

He's a local dealer that specializes in liquidation goods and used goods.

Business must be good if he's throwing down $100k+ for a comic!

These mega-buck books seem to both suffer and dichotomally prosper from the weight of their own value, scarcity, and gravity. Much like the enigmatic relativety paradox, a spaceship needing to be of infinite mass, infinite energy, to reach infinite speed (trannscend the speed of light). The higher the dollar value, less than more often do we see one up for grabs. The more expensive the book, the greater the resistance to price surges and less bidders will be involved.

For the prices to continue to expand on the megabooks in megagrades, the books have to trade, change hands. Incremental increases in value can only be perceived by steady increases in time on the sell/auction price of a big key, thereby gravitationally pulling the rest of the title along with it in heriarichal order (the #1 goes up, the numbers in close proximity should increase proportiinately).

Also, if the Spiderman #1 in 9.6 sells at $107,000, then that may insinuate to some that even without current sale data on an AF15 in 9.6, it may trade at approx. $215,000 (roughly twice that of the Spiderman #1 or thereabouts). But these books must sell to gauge market value and progress.

We've come to ignore the price guide on the big key issues. We put alot more validity into documented sales. It's the sales that dictate the market. They set precedents. Without sales, we lose a handle on actual market value. It's good to see the big keys in high grade like this actually sell on occasion. It gives us a barometer to gauge the progress of the market by their gravitational centers, the books that carry the most weight.