• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 10* Results

75 posts in this topic

holy sweet Mose....now this one I will gladly credit luck because I had no idea how to downgrade foxing...I figured the book is a solid 9.2 so I only knock it down by one grade due to foxing...for all I know the book could be 9.4 and CGC downgraded it 2 notches.

My experience has been that CGC will not go above 9.2 or 9.0 with foxing like that, so there is a limit of 9.2 (maybe 9.0 with foxing). At all grade levels below 9.0, foxing will pull the grade down a point or two. Without foxing, I think the book is easy 9.2 to 9.4. 2c

Exactly what is that underneath the price box a color scrape or a crease?

I magnified it, and it definitely looked like a crease to me. I had it as an outside shot at a print defect, but never once thought it was an outright tear.

holy sweet Mose....now this one I will gladly credit luck because I had no idea how to downgrade foxing...I figured the book is a solid 9.2 so I only knock it down by one grade due to foxing...for all I know the book could be 9.4 and CGC downgraded it 2 notches.

I ignored it...went with my gut...10-15 second grade... :insane:

:sorry: I dropped 10 spots :cry: whywhywhywhywhy...did I go with the 7 :tonofbricks:

Because that's what it really should have been. I get to say that because I did the same thing.

+2

Maybe there's still a place where I can go and be accepted despite my lack of ability to grade well. Think the League of Substitute Graders has any openings? :wishluck:lol

Oh my! I was so off on that grade it isn't even funny!

I thought CGC hammers on foxing!

Do they hammer for anything anymore? No way imo was the AF 15 1.5 with that chunk out :makepoint:

Yes, Staining. Staining will get absolutely hammered. Every time.