• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 11*

172 posts in this topic

Hey, there is no disputing I hit the 9.0 with a very quick data mine. If I can, anyone can. lol

You're just asking for a T-shirt from hedeadjim at the next VCC.... doh!

JC I dont have access to the census,and would'nt know how to data mine anyway.I'm just not that smart I guess. (shrug)

Me neither (shrug) . I thought this contest was just to be for fun. Anyway I have more important things to spend vast amounts of time on. Like Celestial Mechanics, Astro Physics, Cumulus Cloud formations, and XXX movies.

DR.X

Hey, there is no disputing I hit the 9.0 with a very quick data mine. If I can, anyone can. lol

You're just asking for a T-shirt from hedeadjim at the next VCC.... doh!

JC I dont have access to the census,and would'nt know how to data mine anyway.I'm just not that smart I guess. (shrug)

Me neither (shrug) . I thought this contest was just to be for fun. Anyway I have more important things to spend vast amounts of time on. Like Celestial Mechanics, Astro Physics, Cumulus Cloud formations, and XXX movies.

DR.X

NICE! :applause:

Me neither (shrug) . I thought this contest was just to be for fun.

I am playing it for fun, then after my guess is subbed, mining it for my own personal use.

I knew something was up early on, and just wanted to see how the contest was being jobbed, but I was amazed how easy it was. 7 out of 11 books so far have only one possible grade, and the rest can be lowered down to 2-3 possible choices.

By my mathematical calculations, that puts the potential jobber at, with some variation due to the required guesses on some books (with a wider range and possibility for a -1), at approximately 41-43 points as a maximum achievable grade if data mined. There are quite a few permutations, but they all come back to that range.

I don't look at the census and have the score to prove it! lol

That said, this issue seems to come up every contest. I see some participants with a mind boggling number of bullseyes and it seems to me that even the CGC graders could not replicate that type of consistancy and accuracy.

(shrug)

I just have fun with the contest and use it to calibrate myself. Frankly, grading by scan where you have to actually guess what some of the flaws may be is not the same as grading in hand anyway.

I am playing it for fun, then after my guess is subbed, mining it for my own personal use.

I knew something was up early on, and just wanted to see how the contest was being jobbed, but I was amazed how easy it was. 7 out of 11 books so far have only one possible grade, and the rest can be lowered down to 2-3 possible choices.

And it's totally impossible that a number of people who collect comic books and submit them to CGC could consistently guess the CGC grade from scans.

meh

By my mathematical calculations, that puts the potential jobber at, with some variation due to the required guesses on some books (with a wider range and possibility for a -1), at approximately 41-43 points as a maximum achievable grade if data mined. There are quite a few permutations, but they all come back to that range.

When you organize the 2011 grading contest, what are you going to do differently? :popcorn:

When you organize the 2011 grading contest, what are you going to do differently? :popcorn:

hm Maybe he would submit to PGX? (shrug)

hm Maybe he would submit to PGX? (shrug)

lol

As others have stated... I'm very curious to see the outcome of this one!

I just know it is going to either be higher or lower than my grade, depending on how CGC views this book. The problem with this book is that virtually no one would actually submit a copy like this, so we're kind of in the dark to how it would be evaluated. (shrug)

Actually, you see several copies submitted with distributor's ink on them.

I subbed my 'Tec #400 with distributor's ink on it. It came back a full numerical grade higher than what I expected it to. Comicopolis has it now, and I want it back.

:whistle:

24 hour rounds for one....

We thought about that, but not everyone can, unlike me and you, can be on the bards everyday. We have thought about running two books concurrently, yet staggered, with each book being posted 48 hours.

We thought about that, but not everyone can, unlike me and you, can be on the bards everyday. We have thought about running two books concurrently, yet staggered, with each book being posted 48 hours.

It's fine just the way it is. I prefer the break between books and the wait until the grade is revealed, then onto the next.

And what bards do you mean? Shakespeare?

And what bards do you mean? Shakespeare?

Not him, but the others.

That's a lot of bards, you must be tired.

I've trained myself dealing with Boozads.

Good show, unfortunately Boozads aren't half the animal bards are.