• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 11* Results

68 posts in this topic

A game that lasted two day? Pu-leaze. doh!

I played 5 hours straight tonite...

:eek:

The book was posted two frickin days ago, you had plenty of time. :slapfight:

Oh I know, I just prefer to give my grade towards the end while I think about it.

I forgot this time.

:tonofbricks:

Oh I know, I just prefer to give my grade towards the end while I think about it.

I forgot this time.

:tonofbricks:

Actually I do this too...that way I wait less time for the results... :acclaim:

I usually submit my grade pretty early. That way it gives the organizing team more time to laugh at my grade submissions. :insane:

And less time to second guess yourself.

I prefer to brood and contemplate. Maybe cast a spell or two and see what the tea leaves say.

I prefer to brood and contemplate. Maybe cast a spell or two and see what the tea leaves say.

Hey, who left the door open and let the damn hippies in again?

:baiting::foryou:

Nailed it! :headbang:

Just a bit of trivia oakman.... but you were the lowest direct hit in the contest :baiting::grin:

So what are you trying to say Mr. Rubber Man? I think you should choose your words very wisely.HomerSimpsonGun.jpg

:jokealert:

That seems to be working out quite well for you. :baiting:

Once again I am a notch below... I don't think I've overgraded yet in the contest. A bullseye or undergrade every time. What this contest has brought to light is that I really need to recalibrate my grading slightly. If I was selling raw, I'd be losing my shirt! lol

Once again I am a notch below... I don't think I've overgraded yet in the contest. A bullseye or undergrade every time. What this contest has brought to light is that I really need to recalibrate my grading slightly. If I was selling raw, I'd be losing my shirt! lol

I'll be watching for your sales threads in the near future. :D

I've only had one over, every other round is under except for two bullseyes.

All the ink did was lift the color on the front and deposit color on the back.

Oh that's all, just a piece of the cover color removed from the book and deposited on the back cover of the book above it in the stack. No big deal, especially when a tiny, tiny, tiny dot of ink can get you a restored grade and a tiny stain drops you down several grades. lol

I guess if that top-right corner crease wasn't there, it would be an easy CGC 9.4, right? Would you pay 9.4 prices for that dog?

Distributor [or misc] ink wasn't the problem for me (we've had numerous conversations here over the years on CGC's opinion of that).

I agree and have been part of those conversations, but once again, this is a remainder copy with significant cover/color loss due to old ink sticking from one comic to another. This is NOT the same as slight distro spray on the top of an otherwise high-grade book, but a copy that was significantly and irreparably damaged by the adhesion of old remainder ink.

These are not the same things, and I never imagined that a HG copy with cover/ink loss at the top (or bottom) could ever grade a 9.4/9.6, but it apparently can, as that copy had other issues like a corner crease, overall wear, etc.

If it had been pristine otherwise, I guess 9.6? Could you imagine getting an expensive CGC book with damage like this (nonreturnable of course) as a 9.4 or 9.6? :o

Oh that's all, just a piece of the cover color removed from the book and deposited on the back cover of the book above it in the stack. No big deal, especially when a tiny, tiny, tiny dot of ink can get you a restored grade and a tiny stain drops you down several grades. lol

I guess if that top-right corner crease wasn't there, it would be an easy CGC 9.4, right? Would you pay 9.4 prices for that dog?

Since the books are going to be auctioned for charity after contest, I just might. I'm sure your tight arse won't be any where to be seen at that point.

Since the books are going to be auctioned for charity after contest, I just might. I'm sure your tight arse won't be any where to be seen at that point.

I guess he chose (you know mined all the data he had at his disposal) to ignore my challenge to him. When push comes to shove, well some turtle.

I need to recalibrate big time. Didn't know you could have a corner crease on a 9.0 book.

(shrug)

I need to recalibrate big time. Didn't know you could have a corner crease on a 9.0 book.

(shrug)

+1, seriously. Distribution mark aside, this looked a textbook 8.5 to me, as I thought I understood CGC's standards to be... and I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that CGC was at least as tough on creasing as Overstreet, if not tougher.

Overstreet grading standards on 9.0: "An 1/8" bend is allowed if color is not broken. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted but no creases."

Once again, either the scan is somehow exaggerating how much color is broken (I'd think it's doubtful in this instance)... or CGC standards would appear to be getting a bit more relaxed. (shrug)