• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are minor league superheroes striking out?

31 posts in this topic

Los Angeles

“The Green Hornet” heads into the holiday weekend with less-than-boffo reviews.

Does this paltry punch behind the first of a league of superhero movies featuring less-familiar crime fighters – this summer’s Thor, Captain America, and Green Lantern – mean dire news for the second-string colleagues of legendary crusaders Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man?

The stakes are huge. Superhero movies are rarely cheap, due to big special effects and pricey stars.

“Hornet,” starring Seth Rogen, reportedly cost some $200 million for marketing and production, the same as "Iron Man 2," while "Spider-Man 3" cost an estimated $258 million, according to

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2011/0114/New-Green-Hornet-has-no-buzz.-Are-minor-league-superheroes-striking-out

Well, I think that the first problem was in casting Seth Rogen. I like the guy, just not as a hero type character.

The second problem was in making a Green Hornet movie itself. Comic collector's rarely give a hoot about the Green Hornet, why would anyone think that the general public would care. (shrug)

Well considering the last 2 minor super hero movies have been Scott Pilgrim,

Worldwide at box office $47,577,972 and Johah Hex Worldwide at box office $10,903,312 then yes. Keep in mind Captain America,Green Lantern and Thor would not be considered minor heroes like Scott Pilgrim and Jonah Hex. but more in the Ironman category. If Cap,Thor or Green Lantern do Scott Pilgrims numbers worldwide at the boxoffice $47,577,972 then they will considered bombs.even Kick- beat those numbers at Worldwide box office $96,130,432 so the prognosis looks very good for Cap,Thor and GL.(jeez I sounded like a doctor there)

lol

Well, I think that the first problem was in casting Seth Rogen. I like the guy, just not as a hero type character.

The second problem was in making a Green Hornet movie itself. Comic collector's rarely give a hoot about the Green Hornet, why would anyone think that the general public would care. (shrug)

maybe your right about the casting of Rogen but the second problem you state

you really can`t go by that, the Punisher is an example. His appearance in ASM 129 is highly sought after by comic collector`s and the Ennis Punisher book is highly talked about by comic collectors`s but yet the Punisher`s last movie bombed by epic proportions by doing Worldwide: $10,100,036 at the box office, I am pretty sure Green Hornet will beat that in this weekend alone.

...the Punisher`s last movie bombed by epic proportions by doing Worldwide: $10,100,036 at the box office, I am pretty sure Green Hornet will beat that in this weekend alone.

Point made, but they better hope it makes way more than that, though.

Cause I'm pretty sure the last Punisher movie didn't cost 100 mil to make and another 100 to promote. hm

It all depends on the casting and the quality of production. Does anyone that's watched one of the two Punisher films see those as movies with a great cast or movies with a fantastic -script or great production? The studios that put them out could have done so much more with them. They come off as B movies with B actors and it shouldn't surprise anyone that they tanked.

Now had they went with a better story and better cast (Viggo Mortensen as Punisher??), I think they could have had a very nice 100-150 mil movie.

I actually want to see the Green Hornet (shrug)

Make a very good/great movie, people will go to see it. (DK, IM, Spidey 2, etc) Make a turd and advertise the bejeesus out of it and people will see it the first weekend and then it will disappear. (Ghost Rider, Hulk, Hulk, DD, etc). Make a turd and don't advertise the bejeesus out of it and no one will go see it (Jonah Hex, Punisher WZ, etc). I suspect GH, Thor, Cap, GL will fall into the second category.

Make a very good/great movie, people will go to see it. (DK, IM, Spidey 2, etc) Make a turd and advertise the bejeesus out of it and people will see it the first weekend and then it will disappear. (Ghost Rider, Hulk, Hulk, DD, etc). Make a turd and don't advertise the bejeesus out of it and no one will go see it (Jonah Hex, Punisher WZ, etc).

Agreed. Word of mouth will greatly help most movies after the opening 2 weekends.

Make a very good/great movie, people will go to see it. (DK, IM, Spidey 2, etc) Make a turd and advertise the bejeesus out of it and people will see it the first weekend and then it will disappear. (Ghost Rider, Hulk, Hulk, DD, etc).

This is what it is all about. Just make a decent movie and it will do well. No one was worried about Iron man being "2nd tier." That first movie was fast-paced, funny and good. I saw it with my (comic-hating) brother and my brother's girlfriend and they loved it. I knew it was going to be hit. They just have to be good.

I think we can all agree that at least some of these are going to tank, as there is simply not enough available cash for that many second-stringers.

Personally, I think Thor looks like the best bet and could be the sleeper hit with kiddies. It seems to have a lot of action elements, Hemsworth at least *looks* the part, Hopkins and Skarsgård are great actors, Portman will attract the "lotion and Klennex" crowd, and there are plenty of well-muscled beefcake for the gals and closeted boyz.

I see the Green Duo having the toughest time, and Cap being somewhere in the middle.

It looks like they castrated the Green Hornet. Instead of making it the dark drama that the classic Green Hornet was, Seth Rogan took it and made a buffoon out of the Green Hornet and made Kato be the real hero. I haven't seen it, but that's what the previews look like. I wished it would have been different, but right now I'll wait until it's on Netflix.

Rogen is clearly a mistake. LOVE the guy, but not in this role. He can't be taken seriously. "It's funny because he's fat" (sorry, love the Hangover).

More importantly, the direction in a comedic fashion makes me not care to see it.

Pat

It all depends on the casting and the quality of production. Does anyone that's watched one of the two Punisher films see those as movies with a great cast or movies with a fantastic -script or great production? The studios that put them out could have done so much more with them. They come off as B movies with B actors and it shouldn't surprise anyone that they tanked.

Now had they went with a better story and better cast (Viggo Mortensen as Punisher??), I think they could have had a very nice 100-150 mil movie.

I actually want to see the Green Hornet (shrug)

I only decided to catch the first Punisher film after hanging out for a couple of hours with Thomas Jane in the 2007 San Diego Comic Con, drinking beer and seeing what a cool guy he is :grin:

I've actually never watched War Zone (and probably never will).

And I highly doubt I'll ever see Green Hornet. :P