• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your first comic?

81 posts in this topic

First one I remember buying at a actual comic shop was jim lee x-men #1 fold out cover :) Was also the first comic I decided to buy cgc to see if I liked the looks of cgc At some point I should get my original one SS :)

What was the first comic you remember purchasing?

Mine was Amazing Spider-man #64

I bought it when I was 8 for 25 cents (Im 29 now). I had it slabbed for nostalgia.....it was a 4.0

I like the grading idea at some point I think I will do that with my xmen but have it a SS :)

I knew it wasn't going to be a great grade, but I just thought it would be a really nice way to display my introduction to paper crack.

What was the first comic you remember purchasing?

Mine was Amazing Spider-man #64

I bought it when I was 8 for 25 cents (Im 29 now). I had it slabbed for nostalgia.....it was a 4.0

does. not. compute.

Amazing Spider-Man #64

maybe I'm misunderstanding?

I don't recall my first comic, but I recall the time. I remember 2 friends in Junior High talking about X-Factor and the return of Jean Grey. My first purchase must have right around the Mutant Massacre time frame.

I got it from a used bookstore. They had it mixed in with a bunch of X-men comics.

Received as a gift from a friend of my parents who collected:

Swamp thing #1 I subsequently got it signed at the Detroit Triple Fan Fair in the very early '70's.

First purchase I remember was either Weird Wonder Tales # 1 or ASM 124. Also, I remember buying Hulk 180 & 181 new, long gone unfortunately.

It was acutally a box. I had purchased almost half a spidey run. A quarter of the x-men, thor and fantastic four silver runs along with many random rare books. I sold about a quarter of them for $3000 and kept the rest. I only payed $300 Its nice to know that that stuff happens last good lot I bought was over a year ago

I've repeated this story a few times but it was a $0.30 Batman comic. I ran to the store with a $1 and bought 3 comics. I was so excited that I didn't realize until I got home that two of the Batman comics were identical.

My memory is not what it used to be, but I think my first comic was Batman 197(the one with Catwoman and Batgirl fighting over Batman). It was definitely a Batman comic when the show was still on the air.

The first one I remember buying-from a newstand on Frankford Avenue in Philly-was the Brave and Bold teamup of Batman and Flash("But Bork Can Hurt You").

I also remember my father buying me Batman comics that he would bring me when he got home from work. I especially remember the 80 page Giant's, which I loved. And I remember my grandmother buying me Batman 233(a 25 cent Giant) from Hollywood Pharmacy in Elkins Park.

Marvel Super-heroes 56, Fantastic Four 165, Amazing Spider-man 153, Hulk 196, Iron Man 82, Marvel Team-Up 41, Marvel Two In One 13 are among the first I bought off the rack. I still have them. No scans handy though except for the MS 56:

marvelsuperheroes56.jpg

Here's one of my first back issues, found in the basement of a house my dad was working on.

strangetales91.jpg

Finally, here's one of the earliest back issues I bought. It was a beater even then, but I could afford it and those early Ditko ASMs really transported me; reading it was almost mystical, the art was gorgeous.

spiderman6.jpg

I remember when Spiderman 1 hit the stands, and had probably been collecting comics for a few years prior.Loved Thor, and probably one of the first was a Tales of Suspense with him in it. I also remember when Iron-Man got his yellow armor. It was a long time ago.

I have no idea what the first comic I purchased was. My family was broke when I was in the fourth or fifth grade, and I remember my mom would bring me coverless comics from the local grocery store - the covers got sent back to the distributor so the store could get credited. I remember Legion of Superheroes, X-Men, Batman, Avengers and Rom were some of my favorites.