• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blue label and glue

42 posts in this topic

I found that some blue label have a note saying slight amount of glue. I am a bit surprise. Would it not become a PLOD? And how about the price, would it become lower?

On Golden Age books, if colour touch and/or glue do not improve the grade of the book, CGC will place the book in a blue Universal holder and make a notation of the glue/colour touch on the label.

Because it does not improve the grade of the book the colour touch/glue is treated as a defect and the defect is factored into the final grade.

I found that some blue label have a note saying slight amount of glue. I am a bit surprise. Would it not become a PLOD? And how about the price, would it become lower?

On Golden Age books, if colour touch and/or glue do not improve the grade of the book, CGC will place the book in a blue Universal holder and make a notation of the glue/colour touch on the label.

Because it does not improve the grade of the book the colour touch/glue is treated as a defect and the defect is factored into the final grade.

What about SA books, I came across a Showcase 4 4.5 blue label with slight touch of glue in the notes. He does look better than other 4.5 though. Do you think it's worth as much as a normal 4.5?

My understanding was that it was only a rule for Golden Age books so I can't comment on the Silver Age book. It's either a mistake or maybe they changed the rules along the way.

(shrug)

My understanding was that it was only a rule for Golden Age books so I can't comment on the Silver Age book. It's either a mistake or maybe they changed the rules along the way.

(shrug)

I think early SA (can't get much earlier SA than a Showcase 4) could still fall under that rule. Technically it is at the cutoff point between GA and SA so certainly some gray there.

(shrug)

I think early SA (can't get much earlier SA than a Showcase 4) could still fall under that rule. Technically it is at the cutoff point between GA and SA so certainly some gray there.

Yup, thought crossed my mind.

Now blue with notes on a SA book !?

The "Rules" change all the time huh ...

This just goes to show what folly it perhaps was to make special rules for one type of books that do not apply for other books.

Slight glue and/or slight CT on a GA book you get the coveted blue label.

Slight glue and /or slight CT on a SA book you get the stigmatized purple label - or you might get blue with notes ... (if you are lucky).

I'd be having a hard time finding any consistency as to why a showcase #4 should be treated differently than say an AF15?

I always remembered it as "book must be pre-1950"? (shrug)

me too

but here is the prove. I wanted to buy this comic but I am worried about this

It doesn't make sense if the cutoff in 1950, no Silver Age books (Showcase #4 = 1956) should get the "blue/glue" notation. But CGC doesn't usually tell us this stuff so they can change their minds later.

You have to remember, this was a special concession that CGC made to BSDs who own Edgar Church/MH books. Borock knew that a lot of "little" work had been done on these gems, and that the owners would never submit them if they got a PLOD. So this is the compromise they came to.

What I forgot to ask previously is: isn't the 1950 cutoff date mentioned on the back of the slabs in the fine print ?(I don't own any).

What I forgot to ask previously is: isn't the 1950 cutoff date mentioned on the back of the slabs in the fine print ?(I don't own any).

There is a clause that states "at the sole discretion of CGC" but there are no dates stipulated.

Well, for one we have yet to see a picture of the book in question. Second, it could very well be possible that it's a very old label and it's not a secret that the rules did change often in CGC's earliest years.

Well, for one we have yet to see a picture of the book in question. Second, it could very well be possible that it's a very old label and it's not a secret that the rules did change often in CGC's earliest years.

Because the glue on the Showcase #4 is non-functional, it is treated as a defect and factored into the grade (though still listed on the label for completeness' sake).

If the glue was performing some function to the book, it would have received a purple label.

This is the way the rules have been from the beginning.

FYI- Anytime you see the words "dried glue" on the label, that means the glue is non-functional.

I posted the link previously in this thread and I also check the CGC ID and it was written the same

Because the glue on the Showcase #4 is non-functional, it is treated as a defect and factored into the grade (though still listed on the label for completeness' sake).

If the glue was performing some function to the book, it would have received a purple label.

This is the way the rules have been from the beginning.

I guess some of us were under the impression that this rule only applied to certain eras, specifically Golden Age.

Thanks Bradley!

(worship)

I posted the link previously in this thread and I also check the CGC ID and it was written the same

Sorry, I missed that post. Anyhow, you got your answer from Bradley.

My first CGC book was an Action #29 4.0 blue label with a small amount of dried glue on the cover. I watched it change hands 3 times after I owned it. Every time, it sold for more money.

My first CGC book was an Action #29 4.0 blue label with a small amount of dried glue on the cover. I watched it change hands 3 times after I owned it. Every time, it sold for more money.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think that book is worth now?

I happen to have an Action #29 that should grade 4.0 or so.

ActionComics29.jpg