• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Love and Rockets

107 posts in this topic

Tupenny wanted all of you to know...

Reading issue 1 now.

I'm 40 & have never read any L&R's before.

Watcha think bout it?

Reading issue 1 now.

Watcha think bout it?

I myself have never read it.

Is it really that good?

yes
Next question.

Are there any trades available?

Yes.

There were 24 original volumes of trades published by Fantagraphics. They are technically out of print but most comic shops should have some available. (We have about fifteen different volumes left).

There is a new, smaller sized trade series also published by Fantagraphics of which two volumes are out. Those should be widely available.

yes
Next question.

Yes.

There were 24 original volumes of trades published by Fantagraphics. They are technically out of print but most comic shops should have some available. (We have about fifteen different volumes left).

There is a new, smaller sized trade series also published by Fantagraphics of which two volumes are out. Those should be widely available.

Thanks. :foryou:

Which would you recommend?

The old volumes or the new smaller trade?

And how small are we talking about? like the size of the average ''manga''?

Reading issue 1 now.

Watcha think bout it?

I myself have never read it.

Is it really that good?

Yes, it's beyond good. I had high expectations when I first started reading it, and those expectations were drop kicked and curb stomped by issue #2. I'm still only 6 issues in because I decided to pass on the trades and read them as they were released. The trades collect the stories that are serialized anthology style in the magazine. I like the pace of the anthology serialization better :)

yes
Next question.

Yes.

Thanks. :foryou:

Which would you recommend?

The old volumes or the new smaller trade?

And how small are we talking about? like the size of the average ''manga''?

They are a little bigger than manga volumes.

My favorite is a big hardcover called Locas:The Maggie and Hopey Stories which collects the entire Jaime Hernandez storyline.

Richard, if there were 50 issues in the original magazine sized format & 24 large, original version trades, then why bother with those trades if you will only need twice their number to enjoy the title in its first run presentation?

Both are out of print so the challenge to collect the mags seems to match that of the large trades. More or less. I dunno.

A reader run of the mags in Fine or so would be suitable for me, reducing the difficulty of tracking them down.

The big hardcover Locas sounds like an even better option. It is the one fell swoop approach that I was able to take with the Bone phone book a few years ago. No waiting around to read your stories until you find missing issues. Hardcover is also nice for the bookshelf.

Are the other stories, the Luba stories I suppose, offered or planned to be offered in one giant edition?

Richard, if there were 50 issues in the original magazine sized format & 24 large, original version trades, then why bother with those trades if you will only need twice their number to enjoy the title in its first run presentation?

Both are out of print so the challenge to collect the mags seems to match that of the large trades. More or less. I dunno.

A reader run of the mags in Fine or so would be suitable for me, reducing the difficulty of tracking them down.

The big hardcover Locas sounds like an even better option. It is the one fell swoop approach that I was able to take with the Bone phone book a few years ago. No waiting around to read your stories until you find missing issues. Hardcover is also nice for the bookshelf.

Are the other stories, the Luba stories I suppose, offered or planned to be offered in one giant edition?

That was this one...

http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1019&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

I remember hunting down the Love and Rockets issues that I needed in the late 80's. I was so thrilled whenever I could find one. The issues between 6 and 12 took a while. Dave's Comics in Ann Arbor had the Los Bros. Hernandez for a signing and I practically crapped my pants. lol

108553.jpg.0d7954d8428cef8b73106b0320284705.jpg

I have all 4 of the collected edition hardcovers - 'Locas I and II' for Jaime's work , 'Palomar' and 'Luba' for Gilbert's.

Really superb books.

I have all 4 of the collected edition hardcovers - 'Locas I and II' for Jaime's work , 'Palomar' and 'Luba' for Gilbert's.

Really superb books.

Bingo. Thank you.

I definitely like Jaime's Locas better, but I think both are excellent and even like Mario's contributions. I thought it was sad how so many writers wrote in to say they didn't like Mario's work. Compared to his two brothers, who are some of the greatest, it's gotta be tough, but his work is good enough to enjoy on it's own as well. :)

how about a poll on which bro is cooler or better artist, or whose style you prefer....

Jaime Hernandez.

One of my all-time favourite comic book artists.

Really superb books.

Bingo. Thank you.

Problem is that Palomar is currently OOP. Fantagraphics actually has a 7 volume more recent tpb series. I think this is what Richard was referring to that he's seen 2 of. They all measure 7.5" x 9.25".

I think it's like this if you want all of Volume 1:

Love and Rockets Library (Locas Book 1): Maggie the Mechanic

Love and Rockets Library (Locas Book 2): The Girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S.

Love and Rockets Library (Locas Book 3): Perla La Loca

Love and Rockets Library (Palomar Book 1): Heartbreak Soup

Love and Rockets Library (Palomar Part 2): Human Diastrophism

Love and Rockets Library (Palomar Book 3): Beyond Palomar

Love and Rockets Library (Short Stories): Amor Y Cohetes

Fantagraphic has the complete set available for $85 + shipping. Not sure if it they come with a box or not.

Personally, I'm torn between the HCs, since Palomar is OOP) and the recent trades since they're smaller than the original. At least that's the best I can figure it. The fantagraphics site has a page just for figuring out how to read the collected L&R stories. Here

One other thing. From what I read, there is some stuff in the new trades that is not in the hardcovers. It's not clear if the Poison River stories are in the Luba HC. They are not in the Palomar HC. Also, Locas does not include the Flies on the Ceiling story.