• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Love and Rockets

107 posts in this topic

Does #1 from the Fantagraphics publishing, say second print on the interior cover?

or are there multiple versions of Love and Rockets #1 published by Fantagraphics?

Prices are different on non-first prints.

Does #1 from the Fantagraphics publishing, say second print on the interior cover?

or are there multiple versions of Love and Rockets #1 published by Fantagraphics?

Prices are different on non-first prints.

IS THERE A COLOR VARIATION BETWEEN PRINTS?!

COULD ANYONE WHO HAS A FANTAGRAPHICS LOVE AND ROCKETS #1, COULD YOU PLEASE CHECK THE INSIDE PAGE AND SEE IF IT SAYS "second print". MINE DOES AND IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT 'WAG WON'

One of the best comic book covers ever, period:

loveandrockets24.jpg

Great image. Looks better on my t-shirt:

SHT.RockStar.2.jpg

I have the same shirt :)

Someone is selling a bootleg one on eBay in black with an actual scan of the cover, colors the same and price info and stuff all on it as well.

I'm happy to dispel a rumor -- CGC will indeed grade the B&W 1.

lr1bw_zps5aff2763.jpg

A quick peek at the census. They must've switched some time ago and started grading. There are 3: 1 9.8 and 2 9.6s.

I emailed Shawn about this a couple of weeks ago and he said that they hadn't changed their policy - that CGC still wouldn't slab this book.

When I pointed out that a slabbed copy had just been on Comiclink and that there were now multiple copies in the census, he said that they must have come in through the Magazine graders and that he'd investigate.

Until I hear otherwise, I'm assuming this is a mistake from CGC's side - there's no reliable way to distinguish between the originals and the counterfeits, so it opens up a big ol' can of worms if CGC starts throwing these in slabs.

(I'm not saying the copy posted here is a counterfeit - just that if it was, there'd be no way to tell).

I emailed Shawn about this a couple of weeks ago and he said that they hadn't changed their policy - that CGC still wouldn't slab this book.

When I pointed out that a slabbed copy had just been on Comiclink and that there were now multiple copies in the census, he said that they must have come in through the Magazine graders and that he'd investigate.

Until I hear otherwise, I'm assuming this is a mistake from CGC's side - there's no reliable way to distinguish between the originals and the counterfeits, so it opens up a big ol' can of worms if CGC starts throwing these in slabs.

(I'm not saying the copy posted here is a counterfeit - just that if it was, there'd be no way to tell).

Good to know Mike. I recall one selling on Ebay in the last few months that I did not think was genuine based on some pics the seller sent me. I think it may have been won by a boardie too. Can't recall the exact timing. I wonder what's going to happen to the ones already in slabs. Frankly, I would almost be more worried about ones in slabs, especially if I think that the magazine guys didn't know some of the hallmarks of the fakes.

Good to know Mike. I recall one selling on Ebay in the last few months that I did not think was genuine based on some pics the seller sent me. I think it may have been won by a boardie too. Can't recall the exact timing. I wonder what's going to happen to the ones already in slabs. Frankly, I would almost be more worried about ones in slabs, especially if I think that the magazine guys didn't know some of the hallmarks of the fakes.

That's my concern as well ... this isn't like a Cerebus #1 where there are several give-aways (staples, color hue) that can be seen through the slab.

I love this book and have 6-7 copies in my own collection, but even I'm not 100% sure which ones are real - I do remember buying one copy on eBay last year that I sent back because the paper just didn't feel right.

I'm happy to dispel a rumor -- CGC will indeed grade the B&W 1.

lr1bw_zps5aff2763.jpg

A quick peek at the census. They must've switched some time ago and started grading. There are 3: 1 9.8 and 2 9.6s.

I'd like to know what Shawn says about this. I won the one on ComicLink last month. I'd always wanted a copy, and I figured if CGC was slabbing it, then they must be able to authenticate it, whereas I wouldn't be able to. Plus, I figured ComicLink would be vouching for CGC by taking on this book, since they're experts in this market. I'm surprised they didn't investigate this situation like MSchmidt has before throwing it up in an auction, if there's any question as to authenticity. If CGC comes back and says that they can't readily confirm that this isn't a photocopy, I may have to have a conversation with ComicLink. ???

When the book was first released (and sold at SDCC), a bunch of copies were hand-stamped with the mailing address of the los bros Hernandez - if your copy has this stamp (and it actually looks like a stamp and not a print), it's most likely genuine:

loverockets1-tell1.jpg

It doesn't mean that copies without the stamp are fakes - it's just one of the first things I look for when I'm purchasing a copy.