• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Love and Rockets

107 posts in this topic

I emailed Shawn about this a couple of weeks ago and he said that they hadn't changed their policy - that CGC still wouldn't slab this book.

When I pointed out that a slabbed copy had just been on Comiclink and that there were now multiple copies in the census, he said that they must have come in through the Magazine graders and that he'd investigate.

Until I hear otherwise, I'm assuming this is a mistake from CGC's side - there's no reliable way to distinguish between the originals and the counterfeits, so it opens up a big ol' can of worms if CGC starts throwing these in slabs.

(I'm not saying the copy posted here is a counterfeit - just that if it was, there'd be no way to tell).

Good to know Mike. I recall one selling on Ebay in the last few months that I did not think was genuine based on some pics the seller sent me. I think it may have been won by a boardie too. Can't recall the exact timing. I wonder what's going to happen to the ones already in slabs. Frankly, I would almost be more worried about ones in slabs, especially if I think that the magazine guys didn't know some of the hallmarks of the fakes.

That's my concern as well ... this isn't like a Cerebus #1 where there are several give-aways (staples, color hue) that can be seen through the slab.

I love this book and have 6-7 copies in my own collection, but even I'm not 100% sure which ones are real - I do remember buying one copy on eBay last year that I sent back because the paper just didn't feel right.

Mike

Did you ever hear back on this?

I did - sorry I forgot to update the thread, been slammed with shows the last couple of weeks.

Shawn said that he spoke to the Magazine guys and CGC is now slabbing these books - they haven't received any counterfeits yet, but they're familiar enough with the real book that they are confident they'd be able to spot a counterfeit.

I'm actually going to send in a couple of copies myself now - I've got one I know for sure is real and another I'm on the fence about ... I'll post the books in here when I get them back.

I did - sorry I forgot to update the thread, been slammed with shows the last couple of weeks.

Shawn said that he spoke to the Magazine guys and CGC is now slabbing these books - they haven't received any counterfeits yet, but they're familiar enough with the real book that they are confident they'd be able to spot a counterfeit.

I'm actually going to send in a couple of copies myself now - I've got one I know for sure is real and another I'm on the fence about ... I'll post the books in here when I get them back.

But will you get up off any of your copies? That is the real question. :whistle:

But will you get up off any of your copies? That is the real question. :whistle:

That's not a question. That's an exercise in futility.

:banana::whee:

Thank God and Whew!

Today picked up 10 issues of Love & Rockets via Craigslist deal. All VF+ copies including #1 which looks NM to me. Unfortunately the #1 turns out to be a 2nd printing, oh well. However, I did get a nice first-print copy of #24 with the image of the rock band on the stage.