• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: I would be very surprised if this came back a NM+ 9.6

35 posts in this topic

Scottish, you raise an excellent argument, but there are some guys out there who really don't believe in the slab. Is this guy just one of those guys with that old world thinking, or is there a chink in the armour? Time is the incorruptable judge, and as cosmicbob pointed out, it would be great if there were a way to check up on these auctions months after the fact.

I also admit that the whole concept of not caring too much about the money, and that they (the seller) just had to pass this one up because they couldn't afford to buy it themselves sounds a bit fishy. The reason why it sounds fishy to me, is that any dealer would jump at the opportunity of slabbing a high-grade example, purely for the upsell. I know I would, and I don't even consider myself a dealer. But I'm the type of person that always gives people the benefit of the doubt, and so far, I have to think this auction is as legit as they come. Again, the only thing I call into question is whether it truly is a NM+ copy, or whether this book comes back a NM-. Hopefully, for the sake of the buyer, its not an apparent grade either.

I bet it was already graded by CGC- restored; and the owner freed it from it's slab and sold it raw as "unrestored".

That would suck raw-fish ! For the sake of those involved, I would hope that this turns out to be the copy that will show-up on ebay a month later with the blue label NM+ 9.6, or even at a heritage auction... despite their recent broadcast that they've closed all consignments for October, I'm sure the boys at heritage would squeeze this one in to the billing. This hobby needs more good stories, because it seems that the bad ones, even though they may not be as frequent or as many, greatly overshadow all the good ones.

Point well taken comicwiz. This auction could be 100% on the level and I could be in error. I would never be so full of myself as to think I couldn't be wrong (about a lot of things actually! wink.gif ).

Besides the points you and CosmicBob raised the other reason I wouldn't bid on a non-CGC auction of this type is I'm not willing to risk so much cash on the chance that any of the points we've made are true. Granted some lucky person might make a mint on this baby and I would only have congratulations for him or her if that happens.

The auction ended at just over US $8K; quite frankly, I'm a little shocked at that price, and if the book does turn out to be unrestored, and it places any higher than a NM 9.4, the buyer will have a field day with that copy!

The more this pan's out, the more I don't think this will be one of those good auction stories I was referring to; it seems a bit more suspect now that the seller ended the auction early, and settled with a little more than the reserve... only time will tell, I guess, because fortunately the sellers feedback is not private, unless they opt to change that after this transaction ooo.gif

I would have to agree with you -- especially because of the NM guarantee, if you want to call it that, whereby the seller states that if the book doesn't come back with a NM score, the owner will gladly buy the book back; I also have a very funny feeling that this book has already hit the slab... but I don't want to make any false accusations. It just seems extremely odd to me that a book that seller would opt to end the auction early with a NM+ candidate...

What is his username? Captainsofindustry resulted in the following from Ebay:

The "User ID" is not a registered User ID user. Please go back and try again. Make sure you are not using any uppercase characters or allowing blank space before or after or in the User ID.