• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Inc offers on-site pressing in conjunction w/CGC on-site grading

414 posts in this topic

Thank you Resurrection.

Res has multiple posts for Joey. Do you two live together? lol

Sharon is a woman scorned.

Anyone else care to contribute? Anyone?

Let me repeat the questions:

If Joey had as much business as Classics, would he take as long? Would he charge as much?

Joey, are you willing and able to answer this question?

Help!

If pressing were my only job I can answer without hesitation and reservation that I would be considerably faster than Matt in not only getting books done but delivered to CGC. You could have figured that out yourself to a degree based on geography alone.

The rates? I can only assume rates will go up based on level of expertise, etc but would they approach Matts prices. Not anytime soon. I don't price myself out of getting work. Not with the tanking Bronze and Moderns have taken.

Actually, I can press books in a day if I wanted to. I assume Joey can too, so the truth is neither one is faster than the other. But can Joey press any defect out in a day? There are no stipulations for me. You give me a GD+ Golden Age books with a spine roll or a 9.6 modern, and both will be fully pressed in 24 hours.

As far as fees go, Joey does not charge more to get them done faster, but this may have to do with his workload. If he was as busy as me, then maybe he would. And my prices have actually decreased over the years. Joey's pricing structure appeals to the cheaper and more current books, and that's fine. I do all that, but my main focus has always been on the vintage material, no matter the grade or value.

As far as getting them to CGC, I can overnight the books there, so really that's moot. Plus I don't have to spend a day going there and back, which gives me more time to get books done. Efficiency is the key here.

The big issue that no one seems to be addressing is results. Of the three factors here...time, cost, and results, this is by far the most important. What good is saving a few bucks or a few days on pressing if you may get lower grades and less value?

Are you insinuating that Joey doesn't produce results?

I may be wrong but I think he is saying he can get better results.

Is he saying his 9.8s are more NM/Mint than Joey's 9.8s?

Free advertising is great isn't it?

It's a double edged sword.

Just don't fall on it.

I don't have the make to be a martyr.

Nor the frame.

But he has the fame.

Fame is fleeting and worthless without true friends to share it with.

Thank you Resurrection.

Res has multiple posts for Joey. Do you two live together? lol

Sharon is a woman scorned.

Anyone else care to contribute? Anyone?

Let me repeat the questions:

If Joey had as much business as Classics, would he take as long? Would he charge as much?

Joey, are you willing and able to answer this question?

Help!

If pressing were my only job I can answer without hesitation and reservation that I would be considerably faster than Matt in not only getting books done but delivered to CGC. You could have figured that out yourself to a degree based on geography alone.

The rates? I can only assume rates will go up based on level of expertise, etc but would they approach Matts prices. Not anytime soon. I don't price myself out of getting work. Not with the tanking Bronze and Moderns have taken.

Actually, I can press books in a day if I wanted to. I assume Joey can too, so the truth is neither one is faster than the other. But can Joey press any defect out in a day? There are no stipulations for me. You give me a GD+ Golden Age books with a spine roll or a 9.6 modern, and both will be fully pressed in 24 hours.

As far as fees go, Joey does not charge more to get them done faster, but this may have to do with his workload. If he was as busy as me, then maybe he would. And my prices have actually decreased over the years. Joey's pricing structure appeals to the cheaper and more current books, and that's fine. I do all that, but my main focus has always been on the vintage material, no matter the grade or value.

As far as getting them to CGC, I can overnight the books there, so really that's moot. Plus I don't have to spend a day going there and back, which gives me more time to get books done. Efficiency is the key here.

The big issue that no one seems to be addressing is results. Of the three factors here...time, cost, and results, this is by far the most important. What good is saving a few bucks or a few days on pressing if you may get lower grades and less value?

Are you insinuating that Joey doesn't produce results?

I may be wrong but I think he is saying he can get better results.

Is he saying his 9.8s are more NM/Mint than Joey's 9.8s?

I don't think so. I think he's saying he could/might/possibly get a 9.8 whereas somebody else may get a 9.6 from the same book. That would be my interpretation of those comments. But I could also be wrong.

Free advertising is great isn't it?

It's a double edged sword.

Just don't fall on it.

I don't have the make to be a martyr.

Nor the frame.

But he has the fame.

Fame is fleeting and worthless without true friends to share it with.

Fame, fame fatal fame

It can play hideous tricks on the brain

I don't think so. I think he's saying he could/might/possibly get a 9.8 whereas somebody else may get a 9.6 from the same book. That would be my interpretation of those comments. But I could also be wrong.

No, you pegged it. (thumbs u

Which of course would be impossible to prove but sounds good when you are looking for customers.

Which of course would be impossible to prove but sounds good when you are looking for customers.

And that is so true as well. (worship)

really? let joey have a tough g.a. book, and do his best---send it in. say it gets a 9.6. show it to matt--see if he spots a defect that joey was unable to correct, matt makes it disappear, and now it's sent in and comes back 9.8. i'd win my jury trial with that evidence.

and understand, this could just as easily work the other way 'round. i do not know joey, have no clue as to how good he is, etc.---but the hypothet was posed as matt perhaps getting better results, so i approached it that way.

really? let joey have a tough g.a. book, and do his best---send it in. say it gets a 9.6. show it to matt--see if he spots a defect that joey was unable to correct, matt makes it disappear, and now it's sent in and comes back 9.8. i'd win my jury trial with that evidence.

and understand, this could just as easily work the other way 'round. i do not know joey, have no clue as to how good he is, etc.---but the hypothet was posed as matt perhaps getting better results, so i approached it that way.

That would not mean anything. You could re-sub the comic with no additional work and it could come back 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8.

That would not mean anything. You could re-sub the comic with no additional work and it could come back 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8.

Or it could even come back PLOD and labeled as trimmed.

Or it could even come back PLOD and labeled as trimmed.

As I said impossible to prove.

This is about as silly as it gets. Joe does a fine job with pressing. Matt does a fine job with pressing. Joe presses a bunch of books. Matt presses a bunch of books. They're soon both coming to a Comic Convention near you.

Any questions?

This is about as silly as it gets. Joe does a fine job with pressing. Matt does a fine job with pressing. Joe presses a bunch of books. Matt presses a bunch of books.

Any questions?

Yes, why did you never rate a custom title?