• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Inc offers on-site pressing in conjunction w/CGC on-site grading

414 posts in this topic

This is about as silly as it gets. Joe does a fine job with pressing. Matt does a fine job with pressing. Joe presses a bunch of books. Matt presses a bunch of books.

Any questions?

Yes - which one would you recommend?

I don't think so. I think he's saying he could/might/possibly get a 9.8 whereas somebody else may get a 9.6 from the same book. That would be my interpretation of those comments. But I could also be wrong.

No, you pegged it. (thumbs u

Which of course would be impossible to prove but sounds good when you are looking for customers.

really? let joey have a tough g.a. book, and do his best---send it in. say it gets a 9.6. show it to matt--see if he spots a defect that joey was unable to correct, matt makes it disappear, and now it's sent in and comes back 9.8. i'd win my jury trial with that evidence.

and understand, this could just as easily work the other way 'round. i do not know joey, have no clue as to how good he is, etc.---but the hypothet was posed as matt perhaps getting better results, so i approached it that way.

That would not mean anything. You could re-sub the comic with no additional work and it could come back 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8.

Or it could even come back PLOD and labeled as trimmed.

well, this exercise really is just a qualitative one, right? take out cgc's alleged [by ya'll] total lack of consistency. have somebody put a certain defect onto 10 books [some crease, dent, whatever]; very high-def photos are taken of the "priors." 5 books go to joey, 5 to matt. they come back and get photographed again. say either joey's or matt's all show the defect to be much more significantly ameleorated. would that "mean anything?" couldn't we all assume that the more eradicated the defect, the better chance at a higher grade?

again, i have no idea who would be better---as an atty i just can barely stand reading these "impossible to prove" posts. and understand, i'm not one of those "anything is possible" guys---can you get a triple-play with only one man on? but you'd be very surprised about what can and can't be "proved."

I don't think so. I think he's saying he could/might/possibly get a 9.8 whereas somebody else may get a 9.6 from the same book. That would be my interpretation of those comments. But I could also be wrong.

Which of course would be impossible to prove but sounds good when you are looking for customers.

really? let joey have a tough g.a. book, and do his best---send it in. say it gets a 9.6. show it to matt--see if he spots a defect that joey was unable to correct, matt makes it disappear, and now it's sent in and comes back 9.8. i'd win my jury trial with that evidence.

and understand, this could just as easily work the other way 'round. i do not know joey, have no clue as to how good he is, etc.---but the hypothet was posed as matt perhaps getting better results, so i approached it that way.

That would not mean anything. You could re-sub the comic with no additional work and it could come back 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8.

:popcorn:

well, this exercise really is just a qualitative one, right? take out cgc's alleged [by ya'll] total lack of consistency. have somebody put a certain defect onto 10 books [some crease, dent, whatever]; very high-def photos are taken of the "priors." 5 books go to joey, 5 to matt. they come back and get photographed again. say either joey's or matt's all show the defect to be much more significantly ameleorated. would that "mean anything?" couldn't we all assume that the more eradicated the defect, the better chance at a higher grade?

again, i have no idea who would be better---as an atty i just can barely stand reading these "impossible to prove" posts.

But you can't take out CGC's alleged inconsistency and, as evidenced by the grading contest, you can't judge a book by a scan or a photograph.

again, i have no idea who would be better---as an atty i just can barely stand reading these "impossible to prove" posts.

But you can't take out CGC's alleged inconsistency and, as evidenced by the grading contest, you can't judge a book by a scan or a photograph.

got alot of respect for you doc. let's say you have the books in hand, no photos, no cgc, and one guy's books all show he deals with the defect better. still can't make a qualitative decision?

You can send books to CGC for a pre-screen that fail. You can do absolutely nothing to those books and send them in again and some of them will pass the future pre-screen. Happens all the time. It is the game you play.

Correct me if I am wrong Bob, but you sent Matt a book to press that not only came back 2 grades lower but it also was a PLOD? It was an ASM #121 or 122 IIRC. Should this be an indicator of Matt's ability? We all know that that is not the case and farthest from the truth. Yet, it does happen.

To say you have it all figured out is stretching the truth. As time goes on your hit rate goes up, you understand what works on one book and not another and you move on. Do I have the experience Matt does? No, not in all areas. Can I do the same level of work? In some areas no. I have never claimed to be an expert at Golden Age books, although I am getting better. Silver, Bronze and newer...I am sure I can go toe to toe.

I am sorry this thread morphed into this and went to this dark area. I consider Matt a friend and have never had a bad word to say about him in the past, nor will I in the future but I need to defend myself.

You can send books to CGC for a pre-screen that fail. You can do absolutely nothing to those books and send them in again and some of them will pass the future pre-screen. Happens all the time. It is the game you play.

Correct me if I am wrong Bob, but you sent Matt a book to press that not only came back 2 grades lower but it also was a PLOD? It was an ASM #121 or 122 IIRC. Should this be an indicator of Matt's ability? We all know that that is not the case and farthest from the truth. Yet, it does happen.

To say you have it all figured out is stretching the truth. As time goes on your hit rate goes up, you understand what works on one book and not another and you move on. Do I have the experience Matt does? No, not in all areas. Can I do the same level of work? In some areas no. I have never claimed to be an expert at Golden Age books, although I am getting better. Silver, Bronze and newer...I am sure I can go toe to toe.

I am sorry this thread morphed into this and went to this dark area. I consider Matt a friend and have never had a bad word to say about him in the past, nor will I in the future but I need to defend myself.

joey, we don't know each other, but enuff guys who i have a great deal of respect for have sung your praises on this thread 'til the tune is as repetetive as "the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald." that is good enuff for me.

It came back a grade better, but as a PLOD.

joey, we don't know each other, but enuff guys who i have a great deal of respect for have sung your praises on this thread 'til the tune is as repetetive as "the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald." that is good enuff for me.

Thanks Billy, but didn't the Edmund Fitzgerald sink?

It came back a grade better, but as a PLOD.

Thank you, I stand corrected.

True story and I'm pretty close with both Matt and Joey...

A good friend of mine purchased an Uncanny X-Men 120 9.6 he bought from SOT. He showed the book to Matt and Matt told him that it could not be pressed to a higher grade and he bought if for between $200-$300. One day whil;e moving the books around he accidentally dropped it and cracked the slab. Since he had to reslab it anyways, he figured he would ask Joey to press it for him. It came back a 9.8 and I sold it in excess of $2000.

Moral of the story, nobody is perfect and they are both the ABSOLUTE best in the game. Nuff said :sumo:

"Jazzy" Jim

got alot of respect for you doc. let's say you have the books in hand, no photos, no cgc, and one guy's books all show he deals with the defect better. still can't make a qualitative decision?

I respect you too, Billy. Let's both understand that I'm not arguing with you, w'ere just talking here... bumpkin to lawyer.

It's still dependent on each individual's definition of better... which is subjective.

by the way, this packers/bears game is getting to be superb. if the bears pull this out with the 3rd string qb, it'll be unreal. they have it nearly to the red zone w/td to tie with 1:15 to go.

True story and I'm pretty close with both Matt and Joey...

A good friend of mine purchased an Uncanny X-Men 120 9.6 he bought from SOT. He showed the book to Matt and Matt told him that it could not be pressed to a higher grade and he bought if for between $200-$300. One day whil;e moving the books around he accidentally dropped it and cracked the slab. Since he had to reslab it anyways, he figured he would ask Joey to press it for him. It came back a 9.8 and I sold it in excess of $2000.

Moral of the story, nobody is perfect and they are both the ABSOLUTE best in the game. Nuff said :sumo:

"Jazzy" Jim

I loved it when you were with the Fresh Prince :luhv:

by the way, this packers/bears game is getting to be superb. if the bears pull this out with the 3rd string qb, it'll be unreal. they have it nearly to the red zone w/td to tie with 1:15 to go.
Guess not