• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Inc offers on-site pressing in conjunction w/CGC on-site grading

414 posts in this topic

by the way, this packers/bears game is getting to be superb. if the bears pull this out with the 3rd string qb, it'll be unreal. they have it nearly to the red zone w/td to tie with 1:15 to go.
Guess not

wisconsin almost canada--you a fan?

by the way, this packers/bears game is getting to be superb. if the bears pull this out with the 3rd string qb, it'll be unreal. they have it nearly to the red zone w/td to tie with 1:15 to go.

Not quite suicidegif.gif

lol

True story and I'm pretty close with both Matt and Joey...

A good friend of mine purchased an Uncanny X-Men 120 9.6 he bought from SOT. He showed the book to Matt and Matt told him that it could not be pressed to a higher grade and he bought if for between $200-$300. One day whil;e moving the books around he accidentally dropped it and cracked the slab. Since he had to reslab it anyways, he figured he would ask Joey to press it for him. It came back a 9.8 and I sold it in excess of $2000.

Moral of the story, nobody is perfect and they are both the ABSOLUTE best in the game. Nuff said :sumo:

"Jazzy" Jim

Isn't the moral of that story that one person could do something that another claimed couldn't be done?

A good friend of mine purchased an Uncanny X-Men 120 9.6 he bought from SOT. He showed the book to Matt and Matt told him that it could not be pressed to a higher grade and he bought if for between $200-$300. One day whil;e moving the books around he accidentally dropped it and cracked the slab. Since he had to reslab it anyways, he figured he would ask Joey to press it for him. It came back a 9.8 and I sold it in excess of $2000.

Moral of the story, nobody is perfect and they are both the ABSOLUTE best in the game. Nuff said :sumo:

"Jazzy" Jim

Isn't the moral of that story that one person could do something that another claimed couldn't be done?

yeah, but you know, next time it could be 9.2, trimmed, purple and a canadian edition.

"Jazzy" Jim

yeah, but you know, next time it could be 9.2, trimmed, purple and a canadian edition.

All due to consistency, correct?

"Jazzy" Jim

Indeed 9.2, trimmed & purple - but only a Canadian edition if it was a different book.

Very interesting thread. Didn't know about that Spectre--- shilling thing. "Assumed" that Matt Nelson was on the up and up and very very good at what he does. "Know" of the reputation of JoeyPost, but also know of his only recent entre into the field of pressing, which Matt has been in for a long time,

I have never submit a book for pressing. Yet. But I have considered it. Just can't seem to pull the trigger. I have purchased many books that I was told were pressed, and it didn't slow me down in the purchasing of them. I do "feel" that it is restoration but since it is not considered as such by CGC, who are the "standard" bearers in the industry. I have been confused about it.

I am still considering it all, but given what I have stated above, I believe that "if" I do submit books for pressing, I will go with JoeyPost. Based on past "reputation" on this forum, and no where else. Also based on pricing stuctures, and last but not least. The treatment of an online "friend" of mine here on these boards. Skypinkblu.

I don't think that I would be a big loss of business to Matt though, as I only have about three hundred books in total that I would consider having pressed. If I decided to go that route. I am by no means a big player in this hobby, so no huge loss to either person, no matter which way I go.

But if I do, it would be only for my precious bronze and silvers. I don't think I would ever have my golden age pressed.

But maybe. :) Can't seem to get it out of my head that it is a form of restoration, A form more so than putting a pile of heavy books on top of a comic to flatten it.

So much to ponder and learn. So little time in which to do it. :(

Very interesting thread. Didn't know about that Spectre--- shilling thing. "Assumed" that Matt Nelson was on the up and up and very very good at what he does. "Know" of the reputation of JoeyPost, but also know of his only recent entre into the field of pressing, which Matt has been in for a long time,

I have never submit a book for pressing. Yet. But I have considered it. Just can't seem to pull the trigger. I have purchased many books that I was told were pressed, and it didn't slow me down in the purchasing of them. I do "feel" that it is restoration but since it is not considered as such by CGC, who are the "standard" bearers in the industry. I have been confused about it.

I am still considering it all, but given what I have stated above, I believe that "if" I do submit books for pressing, I will go with JoeyPost. Based on past "reputation" on this forum, and no where else. Also based on pricing stuctures, and last but not least. The treatment of an online "friend" of mine here on these boards. Skypinkblu.

I don't think that I would be a big loss of business to Matt though, as I only have about three hundred books in total that I would consider having pressed. If I decided to go that route. I am by no means a big player in this hobby, so no huge loss to either person, no matter which way I go.

But if I do, it would be only for my precious bronze and silvers. I don't think I would ever have my golden age pressed.

But maybe. :) Can't seem to get it out of my head that it is a form of restoration, A form more so than putting a pile of heavy books on top of a comic to flatten it.

So much to ponder and learn. So little time in which to do it. :(

:applause:

I also view pressing as restoration but I don't have a problem with restoration - as long as people are aware of what has been done to a book before they purchase it.

From what i gather Matt does not enlighten clients of how he actually presses books. At this show will people be seeing the process? No.

Does anyone know how its done exactly? Yes and no.

While I can understand a business not wanting to give away their 'trade secrets' I think I'd want to know what was being done to my book, especially if it was something expensive.

And this applies to anybody who was doing the pressing.

From what i gather Matt does not enlighten clients of how he actually presses books. At this show will people be seeing the process? No.

Yes

Yes

To both questions?

Yes

To both questions?

lol

No, only the last one

Yes

To both questions?

lol

No, only the last one

Just checking! :grin:

Yes

I put yes and no because I know how two or so people do it, but I don't know how Matt does it and supposedly it can make a big difference.

Yes

I put yes and no because I know how two or so people do it, but I don't know how Matt does it and supposedly it can make a big difference.

You are correct