• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comic Con May 21-22 @ Irving Convention Center

172 posts in this topic

OK. I'm using Google Earth to find a number of restaurants close to the Convention Center. Here's a quick list of some places that came up:

1) Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse

2) Cool River Cafe

3) Spirit Grille

4) Cellar Restaurant & Bar

5) Samosa Hut & Grill

6) Clearfork Cafe

7) Las Colinas Grill

8) Bombay Sizzler Pub & Grill

9) Dickey's Barbecue Pit

10) The Keg Steakhouse & Bar

11) Venetian Terrace

12) Trevi's

13) Murphy's

Can any of you locals chime in on what's good and what's bad from this list? We can narrow it down to 3 or 4 restaurants and then take a vote in a poll as to where to go for the Forum dinner. :)

OK. I'm using Google Earth to find a number of restaurants close to the Convention Center. Here's a quick list of some places that came up:

2) Cool River Cafe

3) Spirit Grille

5) Samosa Hut & Grill

6) Clearfork Cafe

7) Las Colinas Grill

9) Dickey's Barbecue Pit

11) Venetian Terrace

12) Trevi's

13) Murphy's

Can any of you locals chime in on what's good and what's bad from this list? We can narrow it down to 3 or 4 restaurants and then take a vote in a poll as to where to go for the Forum dinner. :)

#1 and #9 are pretty good if you like BBQ. Haven't eaten at the other places on the list.

2) Cool River Cafe

3) Spirit Grille

5) Samosa Hut & Grill

6) Clearfork Cafe

7) Las Colinas Grill

9) Dickey's Barbecue Pit

11) Venetian Terrace

12) Trevi's

13) Murphy's

#1 and #9 are pretty good if you like BBQ. Haven't eaten at the other places on the list.

I LOVE BBQ. :cloud9:

2) Cool River Cafe

3) Spirit Grille

5) Samosa Hut & Grill

6) Clearfork Cafe

7) Las Colinas Grill

9) Dickey's Barbecue Pit

11) Venetian Terrace

12) Trevi's

13) Murphy's

I LOVE BBQ. :cloud9:

1 is good choice. Chain BBQ, but at least it's a Dallas chain. :)

9 is decent for what it is, which is fast food BBQ. Wouldn't really recommend it for out of town-ers.

While I haven't been there myself, I've heard good things about The Ranch. Texas motif; steaks, etc. $15-$25. 2 miles from the Con on the same highway. No turns. :)

http://www.theranchlc.com/

Here's a more complete list for stuff within 5 mins.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/13/1222/Dallas/Irving-restaurants

I don't know BBQ sauce and comics? My brother had a terrible dream about eating BBQ and reading an af 15.

It will be OK if we only bring red cover comics to the forum dinner. :D

I don't know BBQ sauce and comics? My brother had a terrible dream about eating BBQ and reading an af 15.

It will be OK if we only bring red cover comics to the forum dinner. :D

I brought my Action #4 to a BBQ dinner last year!

Okay BBQ... not the best.

2) Cool River Cafe

Great restaurant; a bit pricey; usually busy

3) Spirit Grille

5) Samosa Hut & Grill

6) Clearfork Cafe

7) Las Colinas Grill

9) Dickey's Barbecue Pit

Always good. Better than Sonny Bryan's IMO

Decent -- good beer

11) Venetian Terrace

12) Trevi's

13) Murphy's

If you want BBQ I recommend heading down NW Highway a couple of miles (NW Hwy and Loop 12) to Papa's BBQ. I loves me some Papa's ribs. There are also a bunch of other restaurants over there... Papadeaux's, Papa Brother's Steakhouse (expen$ive), Papacito's, Humperdinks (good for eating AND drinking :thumbsup: ), Olive Garden, Chili's, Jason's Deli, Joe's Crab Shack.

There's also this real craphole of a catfish place (Top Cat) that's really good. And if you like real Mexican food there are about 50 back-alley places that are fantastic (Inglés no se habla allí).

Last Minute addition for me...

Online tickets sold out :P

Host Hilton Hotel sold out :P (Staying at Omni down the street)

I see they sold early access passes. Based on anyone's past experience, how much of a PITA will it be to pick up general admission tickets at the con?

Based on anyone's past experience, how much of a PITA will it be to pick up general admission tickets at the con?

Hopefully not too bad. I have a Saturday ticket/badge but will need to buy a ticket on Sunday morning. :wishluck:

Last Minute addition for me...

Online tickets sold out :P

Host Hilton Hotel sold out :P (Staying at Omni down the street)

I see they sold early access passes. Based on anyone's past experience, how much of a PITA will it be to pick up general admission tickets at the con?

Should be pretty easy.

The con is in a venue at least 3 times larger than we've ever had before, so getting people in quickly should be fairly easy. I've never had to wait more than like 5 minutes in previous years.

Thankfully, this year I'll have a staff badge. :)

Depending on when you're driving, every way could be nightmarish. :(

You could try this??

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Waco,+TX&daddr=32.6816365,-96.9440117+to:500+W.+Las+Colinas+Blvd.,+Irving,+TX+75039+(Irving+Convention+Center+at+Las+Colinas)&hl=en&geocode=FZVn4QEd0qg1-inTUQEj8YJPhjEQqtHWA0vX-w%3BFaSu8gEddcA4-imboUWhv49OhjHoqlzVnt3dbQ%3BFZSr9QEdrcM4-iH28YmVJmjlqg&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=12&via=1&sll=32.710756,-96.905594&sspn=0.214923,0.32238&ie=UTF8&ll=32.579221,-96.81839&spn=0.860952,1.28952&z=10

Hey guys, I need some suggestions on the easier way to get to the con. Coming from 35S should I take 12 to 114 or 348? I'm trying to avoid downtown as it can be a big headache often.

Take 35 to 20W; go to Spur 408 and that will link you up with Loop 12; then you can take 114. Or you can stay on 20 until you get to 161 (tollway) and take it to 114.

We need to chit or get off the pot people. It's time to decide if we're having a board dinner on Saturday night (the 21st) and where it's gonna be at. :sumo:

I posted a list of some area restaurants and a few others made a couple of other recommendations.

We need to chit or get off the pot people. It's time to decide if we're having a board dinner on Saturday night (the 21st) and where it's gonna be at. :sumo:

I posted a list of some area restaurants and a few others made a couple of other recommendations.

Agree. We'll need a reservation without a doubt.