• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comic Con May 21-22 @ Irving Convention Center

172 posts in this topic

FYI, Woodall Rodgers freeway (Spur 366), which connects US 75 and IH 35E downtown, will be closed all weekend after 9PM tonight for construction. So to anyone coming in from out of town, keep that in mind when planning your route!

I missed the ticket presale too, so I'll be grabbing mine tomorrow. The convention center is huge, so I'm not at all worried about availability.

Looking forward to it!

Evans is gonna be dragging azzs.
bedrock-nono.gif

I know you're on the road already..... I'm stuck here til Sat at 4pm.

Personally, if Bobbie didn't love me so much I'd have developed a quick

case of diverticulitus. Finally found a suite in DeSoto. About 30 minutes

from the con and 10 minutes from Sean's place.

lol

I picked the right hotel. - The Omni

Real nice room, nice lobby, restaurants, plus I just got driven over to the con hall to drop something off by a Navigator. I guess I'll be in the bar for happy hour.

I was there for set up today. Saw all the usual suspects. The place is quite a step-up from the past shows. It's almost like they are trying to actually put on a decent show. If the weather holds out there could be a really big turn out. There were more actual comics (as opposed to toys, etc.) in the room than I've seen in a long time. I can't speak to the quality but there were some decent size set-ups.

Traffic has the potential to be a nightmare. There's really only one way in and out of the convention center parking garage because of all of the construction. Unless you know how to navigate the back roads the only real way in is off 114. Get there early because it's likely to be disorganized.

Evans is gonna be dragging azzs.
bedrock-nono.gif

I know you're on the road already..... I'm stuck here til Sat at 4pm.

Personally, if Bobbie didn't love me so much I'd have developed a quick

case of diverticulitus. Finally found a suite in DeSoto. About 30 minutes

from the con and 10 minutes from Sean's place.

Check the Holiday Inn Express (right next door) and the Omni for last minute cancellations. There is no reason to stay all the way out in DeSoto.

Thanks for the pics! My 4:15 alarm just went off so we can get on the road to the con. Going to be a looooong day! I will be the guy with the purple FCBD t-shirt on, so if you see me say hello. I hope I won't spend the entire con in auto lines, but I guess we'll see...

not enough comics. Tons and tons of toys, cups, shirts, videos, posters, jewelry, costumes, just not comics. The autograph lines moved pretty good, was just annoyed to have vip and priority pass holders get to 'cut' in line ahead of everyone. Great turnout. Glad to see the amount and variety of ages of the people that were in attendance. Hope this will bring in more dealers for the next one.

not enough comics. Tons and tons of toys, cups, shirts, videos, posters, jewelry, costumes, just not comics. The autograph lines moved pretty good, was just annoyed to have vip and priority pass holders get to 'cut' in line ahead of everyone. Great turnout. Glad to see the amount and variety of ages of the people that were in attendance. Hope this will bring in more dealers for the next one.

I disagree about the comics. There are plenty of dealers with comic books here. Neat Stuff Collectibles has probably 100 to 200 long boxes of comics at their booth alone. I took 2 bags of comics out to my car (parking is VERY close) then walked back in and bought 2 more bags of comics from one dealer. That was probably the best deal I got all day long, but most of the comics are at least 50% off the price on the bag. I bought almost 120 comics today alone and I'm hoping to pick up a few more tomorrow. I'll list some of the books I picked up on Monday morning after I get back to OKC. But I found a bunch of nice books at great prices. (thumbs u

Tomorrow will mostly be getting books signed and witnessed. Gemma from CGC is there helping out Chandler and Sharon from Desert Wind Comics. I got Stan the Man to sign my Captain America #100, Fantastic Four #1 and Silver Surfer #2 today and submitted them for Signature Series. I'm having books signed by John Romita Jr., Bernie Wrightson, Rick Leonardi, James O'Barr and Todd Nauck tomorrow.

I'm really tired so it's back to the room for some R&R. Might chat with you guys again tomorrow night after I get back home.

Thanks for the pics! My 4:15 alarm just went off so we can get on the road to the con. Going to be a looooong day! I will be the guy with the purple FCBD t-shirt on, so if you see me say hello. I hope I won't spend the entire con in auto lines, but I guess we'll see...

Unless there was someone else with the same shirt today, I talked to you at my booth. Didn't read this until tonight or I would have introduced myself. (thumbs u

There were tons of comics there... compared to previous show. The ratio of comic to "other" dealers was much, much better. Dealers, in general, seemed to be doing well. Those who had decent inventories did really well. I spent a lot of time helping out at Duncanville Bookstore's booth and we were busy the entire time. It ranged from crazy-busy to just kinda-busy. But people were buying and buying and buying ans buying.

Just got back from dinner with Buffyfan, Mr. Bedrock, Weird Paper and Able. We were starving and some great Papa's BBQ sure hit the spot.

Guess I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Yes, there were alot of comics, but I should have said quality comics. Of the few comic dealers that were there, only a few had quality material. The rest had the normal .50-1.00 box fodder, and a ton of g/vg non-key silver and bronze. I still had fun getting autos as it was a good guest list, but I was hoping for the quality of material that was at WW austin, and it just wasn't here. I still want to see the show back again as it was a hit judging by the attendance, and we need more shows in texas.

There were tons of comics there... compared to previous show. The ratio of comic to "other" dealers was much, much better. Dealers, in general, seemed to be doing well. Those who had decent inventories did really well. I spent a lot of time helping out at Duncanville Bookstore's booth and we were busy the entire time. It ranged from crazy-busy to just kinda-busy. But people were buying and buying and buying ans buying.

Just got back from dinner with Buffyfan, Mr. Bedrock, Weird Paper and Able. We were starving and some great Papa's BBQ sure hit the spot.

I'll try to find you today. I was asking Mr. Bedrock about seeing any boardies yesterday and he said you were there. I'll be wearing a black shirt and kaki shorts - big dude. :)

We'll be back at it today too for a few hours. Shark, we are catching the shuttle over to the center from the La Quinta at 10:30 if you are around then. The free shuttle to and from the con has been a nice perk.

very nice sketch! Crowd was way more manageable today. Still a good crowd, but not claustrophobic. Found some little gems in the bargain boxes: Marvel Unlimited Daredevil variants, alot of pre-unity valiants in hg, and some bronze Sgt. Fury's in hg. Still a little disappointed in the absence of nice 'wall' books, but it was a good show. Kudos to the guys up in the 'art of akira' room, as they let us flip through a ton of the portfolios, we got to see a ton of beautiful akira art! My brother got some pics, he will try and post them in the next few days.

I'll try to find you today. I was asking Mr. Bedrock about seeing any boardies yesterday and he said you were there. I'll be wearing a black shirt and kaki shorts - big dude. :)

Well, I was there, ...sorta.

I slipped into the Con briefly, before DCC officially opened Saturday morning (while dealers were setting up and lines were forming outside), with the assistance of Mr Bedrock and con security. Looked over Richard's GA books, made a quick purchase and then skee-dadled off to Houston where my wife (Rachel Caine) had a 4:00 book signing. Sorry I missed everyone; would've liked to have hung out and met some more boardies this weekend, but then there was that rapture thing going on. ;)

I thought it was a very good con. It's been about the best Dallas con since the very late 1980's and very early 1990's. Super large turnout Saturday but Sunday had a much smaller crowd. More comics than usual but still not a very large selection of High Grade books. Bunches of bargain bin books and they were selling briskly from what I saw.

People were buying as I looked at a few books and went back a few hours later to buy and they were alread sold.

I did buy a VG copy of Amazing Spider-Man #121 and had Stan Lee sign it.

All in all I had a very good time there. It was a lot of fun.

About the only boardie I recognized and chatted with briefly was Stronguy(Jeff).