• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- i just paid $225 for two PIXIES tickets!

25 posts in this topic

damn internet made everybody a scalper! mad.gifforeheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Pixies Reunion Is Just the Ticket

By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - By the time internal tensions splintered the Pixies in 1993, their influence on such acts as Nirvana and Radiohead -- and on alternative rock in general -- had already been cemented. And while the group's upcoming reunion tour shocked fans familiar with the band's famously feuding past, the demand for tickets comes as no surprise to those involved with the tour.

"I don't want to come off as wacky, but I expected it," says the group's agent, Marc Geiger. "I firmly thought that, like a fine wine, the Pixies only appreciated in terms of value."

Reunion tour plans began to come together after the group (vocalist/guitarist Frank Black, bassist Kim Deal, guitarist Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering) agreed to appear on the first day of the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, set for May 1-2 in Indio, Calif.

"They wanted to do warm-up dates," says Geiger, who is senior VP at William Morris Agency. "In order to allow Coachella to be the first meaningful U.S. play, we're playing out-of-the-way, nowhere places on purpose. This is a low pressure, warm-up tour."

Indeed, the 14 pre-Coachella club dates, which begin April 13 show in Minneapolis, take in such off-the-beaten-path Canadian cities as Winnipeg, Manitoba, and Regina and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, as well as Eugene, Ore. Every performance is sold out, a number of them within five minutes. The Minneapolis show went on sale March 11 and sold out in four minutes.

Meanwhile, a "major-market North American tour throughout the whole fall into December" is taking shape, Geiger reveals. "The size of the venue is going to vary from probably 2,500 to 10,000, depending on the market. It is an embarrassment of choices."

Asked what fans can expect from the shows, for which the Pixies have been rehearsing in secret in southern California, Geiger says, "It's huge -- bigger than I thought. The band is playing well together. They're going to play all the hits."

At Prairieland in Saskatoon, venue staff adjusted the size of the room to allow double the original capacity of 1,500 for the April 17 show, according to events manager Carl Schlosser.

At the Eugene on-sale, promoters watched in amazement as fans lined up hours ahead of time at the McDonald Theater box office, even though the April 27 gig was not even advertised in the local media. After the first show sold out in minutes, venue staffers wrote down the names of fans who were shut out and did their best to accommodate them once the April 28 show went on sale two weeks later.

"That was a lovely gesture by the venue," says talent buyer Keith Buckingham of Mon Qui, which is promoting the Eugene shows. "The only reason the second one took 30 minutes to sell out was because we allotted more tickets to the box office this time."

After Coachella, the Pixies head to Europe for more than 20 headlining and festival appearances ending July 11 at Scotland's T in the Park Festival. Although the band has been rumored as a possible Lollapalooza headliner, Geiger insists plans for the ensuing six weeks are undecided, beyond August stops at the V Festival in the United Kingdom and a Sept. 6 appearance at Seattle's Bumbershoot festival.

Reuters/Billboard

damn internet made everybody a scalper! mad.gifforeheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Pixies Reunion Is Just the Ticket

By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - By the time internal tensions splintered the Pixies in 1993, their influence on such acts as Nirvana and Radiohead -- and on alternative rock in general -- had already been cemented. And while the group's upcoming reunion tour shocked fans familiar with the band's famously feuding past, the demand for tickets comes as no surprise to those involved with the tour.

"I don't want to come off as wacky, but I expected it," says the group's agent, Marc Geiger. "I firmly thought that, like a fine wine, the Pixies only appreciated in terms of value."

Reunion tour plans began to come together after the group (vocalist/guitarist Frank Black, bassist Kim Deal, guitarist Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering) agreed to appear on the first day of the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, set for May 1-2 in Indio, Calif.

"They wanted to do warm-up dates," says Geiger, who is senior VP at William Morris Agency. "In order to allow Coachella to be the first meaningful U.S. play, we're playing out-of-the-way, nowhere places on purpose. This is a low pressure, warm-up tour."

Indeed, the 14 pre-Coachella club dates, which begin April 13 show in Minneapolis, take in such off-the-beaten-path Canadian cities as Winnipeg, Manitoba, and Regina and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, as well as Eugene, Ore. Every performance is sold out, a number of them within five minutes. The Minneapolis show went on sale March 11 and sold out in four minutes.

Meanwhile, a "major-market North American tour throughout the whole fall into December" is taking shape, Geiger reveals. "The size of the venue is going to vary from probably 2,500 to 10,000, depending on the market. It is an embarrassment of choices."

Asked what fans can expect from the shows, for which the Pixies have been rehearsing in secret in southern California, Geiger says, "It's huge -- bigger than I thought. The band is playing well together. They're going to play all the hits."

At Prairieland in Saskatoon, venue staff adjusted the size of the room to allow double the original capacity of 1,500 for the April 17 show, according to events manager Carl Schlosser.

At the Eugene on-sale, promoters watched in amazement as fans lined up hours ahead of time at the McDonald Theater box office, even though the April 27 gig was not even advertised in the local media. After the first show sold out in minutes, venue staffers wrote down the names of fans who were shut out and did their best to accommodate them once the April 28 show went on sale two weeks later.

"That was a lovely gesture by the venue," says talent buyer Keith Buckingham of Mon Qui, which is promoting the Eugene shows. "The only reason the second one took 30 minutes to sell out was because we allotted more tickets to the box office this time."

After Coachella, the Pixies head to Europe for more than 20 headlining and festival appearances ending July 11 at Scotland's T in the Park Festival. Although the band has been rumored as a possible Lollapalooza headliner, Geiger insists plans for the ensuing six weeks are undecided, beyond August stops at the V Festival in the United Kingdom and a Sept. 6 appearance at Seattle's Bumbershoot festival.

Reuters/Billboard

Bravo Pimpy. Tickets at the Brixton Academy, London were fetching similar prices (on ebay, natch), but I balked. I just can't figure out how scalpers (touts in the U.K.) work the system so easily when the inital rush was so intense (all tickets were sold out for all the shows in about 3 hours). mad.gif

Almost as underappreciated as the Replacements! Hope they come to the Sunshine state - definitely worth the price tag. I think the P Furs are coming to Otown this summer and will definitely see them. Am going to Vegas for 10 days at the end of June and just found out the Reverend Horton Heat will be playing while we are in town!

Speaking of Love and Rockets (not the Los Bros Hernandez comic but the British band), anyone who lives in Los Angeles might want to venture downtown to The Standard Hotel on Wednesday nights, where L&R bass player David J does a weekly DJ set from 6:30 til 9:30!

Bringing things back to comics a little bit... Did you know it was none other than Alan Moore that suggested to Daniel Ash, David J and Kevin Haskins that they check out the Love and Rockets comic book that ended up being the name for their band? Also, Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez have never forgiven the band for taking the name, as they wanted to call their OWN band Love and Rockets, and never received any royalties or credit after the ex-Bauhaus crew became successful.

I saw them in, I believe, 1989 too. An "All Ages" show. Now I shudder when I hear the words, but back then it was a godsend. Local heroes cloud9.gif

What exactly is an "All Ages" show, or more precisely, what is the significance of a show being "all ages"? I remember Juliana Hatfield used the phrase in one of her songs, and I've always wondered what it meant.

Bravo Pimpy. Tickets at the Brixton Academy, London were fetching similar prices (on ebay, natch), but I balked. I just can't figure out how scalpers (touts in the U.K.) work the system so easily when the inital rush was so intense (all tickets were sold out for all the shows in about 3 hours). mad.gif

Saw them at Brixton Academy back in 1991, when I was studying in UK for the summer. Man, is that really 13 years ago?!

Well done for seeing them. Despite having all their albums and so forth, I've never seen them live, dammit. And those extortionate prices put me off. However there's the "V" festival this summer in Essex, and they're on the bill (headliners?). I'll be there.

"all ages" means exactly the way it sounds...."all ages" allowed. thumbsup2.gif now if only the smiths would reunite for a tour then i can die a happy man. acclaim.gifcloud9.gif

After the acrimony of their split and the drawn out court battles, not likely.

"all ages" means exactly the way it sounds...."all ages" allowed. thumbsup2.gif now if only the smiths would reunite for a tour then i can die a happy man. acclaim.gifcloud9.gif

I had a feeling that was going to be the answer, but I never knew there was normally a minimum age to see a concert. I remember seeing concerts when I was just 12 ("You asked for the best and now you've got the best, the hottest band in the world, KISS!!!!" (cue opening strains of Detroit Rock City) thumbsup2.gif), and there were a hell of a lot of other kids my age or even younger there.

Speaking of Love and Rockets (not the Los Bros Hernandez comic but the British band), anyone who lives in Los Angeles might want to venture downtown to The Standard Hotel on Wednesday nights, where L&R bass player David J does a weekly DJ set from 6:30 til 9:30!

Bringing things back to comics a little bit... Did you know it was none other than Alan Moore that suggested to Daniel Ash, David J and Kevin Haskins that they check out the Love and Rockets comic book that ended up being the name for their band? Also, Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez have never forgiven the band for taking the name, as they wanted to call their OWN band Love and Rockets, and never received any royalties or credit after the ex-Bauhaus crew became successful.

Sure did! David J and Alan Moore even recorded two weird music projects together called "The Birth Caul" and something I forget...something about a Serpent, with words by Moore. I have both, and both are nice rare collectibles.

Oh, and it was Moore who wrote the liner notes fo rthe classic Bauhaus album "Mask."

On David's site, he has some bizarre juju sculptures that Alan Moore really liked, and now owns some of.

So there are a lot of L&R/Comic Book connections besides just the name.