• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Davis tribute thread!

58 posts in this topic

Great thread, Hepcat. :applause:

I'm a big Jack Davis fan, too.

I own the original art to one of his Marvel stories. I posted this photo, which shows the splash page, on an earlier occasion but it's worth showing again.

Davis' pencil lines are still visible and it was shocking to me when I first got the pages to discover that he basically just drew stick figures to lay out the action, then went ahead and directly inked the panels, apparently without benefit of of any detailed pencil lines to guide him.

OriginalArtGA.jpg

I was at Sheridan College, Oakville, Ontario in the mid-70s. Will Eisner was a guest and drew a splash page for us. He works the same way.

The incomparable Jack Davis is too seldomnly mentioned on this board. I've therefore decided to start this thread to help Jack get the full credit he deserves.

The reason people don't often mention Jack Davis is that he was so excellent that he made it look effortless, and people ended up taking him for granted. But I think he's one of the most stylish and consistently top-notch comic artists to come out of the Atomic Age.

I don't remember much about his work prior to EC -- I'll have to re-read his chapter in Grant Geissman's "Foul Play!" book (a fantastic book everybody should read). I sure loved his stuff in Mad Magazine for about three decades, as well as the poster art he did for many movies. Somewhere around here I've got the pressbook for the movie "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," for which he did the cover.

Please, please post the pressbook cover for Mad Mad World. Great movie!

I no longer have a copy, but Creepy #1 had a cool cover! JD had some real talent... I understand he was able to pump work out at a very brisk pace as well. Keep the posts coming!

Since you asked, I snapped this pic of the pressbook. I actually have two copies, and the other one is nicer, but it's filed away. This is the copy I'm going to give to a friend who loves the movie.

This artwork was used for the poster and became emblematic of the movie. It's easy to see why Jack Davis became the go-to guy for movie posters, especially humorous ones, because his kinetic artwork suggests the mayhem and excitement of a good comedy. Plus he does solid caricatures -- almost on par with Mort Drucker, though Drucker is the king.

mmmmworld.jpg

Since you asked, I snapped this pic of the pressbook. I actually have two copies, and the other one is nicer, but it's filed away. This is the copy I'm going to give to a friend who loves the movie.

This artwork was used for the poster and became emblematic of the movie. It's easy to see why Jack Davis became the go-to guy for movie posters, especially humorous ones, because his kinetic artwork suggests the mayhem and excitement of a good comedy. Plus he does solid caricatures -- almost on par with Mort Drucker, though Drucker is the king.

mmmmworld.jpg

Thanks for posting it - Great stuff!

:applause: