• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strong Female Role Models in Comics

114 posts in this topic

Katy Keene. Betty and Veronica just aren't my idea of "role models" as they both have underlying issues, but Katy is pretty independent and does what she loves to do.

Batgirl. Barbara Gordon or Stephanie Brown.

:eek:

I don't think I knew that...

Betty doesn't have enough self esteem to realize there is more to life then Archie. Veronica is pretty much worthless since she's an heiress, but I prefer her more to Betty.

That's just from a decades worth of observation, though.

Say it ain't so! Betty is loyal, she loves unconditionally. Veronica, is just spoiled and manipulative. Just my 2c

Archie constantly ditches her for Veronica. Betty, while she has dated others, still just wants Archie despite how crummy he treats her. Both girls can do better, IMO.

Archie, is still just your average 50+ year old teenager. He doesn't know what he wants, Betty does. Sadly Archie can't see that Betty is the one for him.

I still think both girls can do better. I also think Jughead and Betty would be a cute couple.

Unfortunately, there are aren't many other girls or guys that are written in Archies and so it is hard to judge just how much better they can do.

In my mind I don't see Jughead ever matching up with anyone and he will probably live at home until he's 50. (actually he reminds me of a few people I know in real life, I don't think they have ever had a real girlfriend, one I don't think has ever been on a date, it is kind of sad)

On the other hand Dilton and Cherry Blossum found romance, so maybe there is hope for Jughead.

Aside from Wonder Woman, who would you recommend as a positive role model for girls? Serious answers, thanks, I have 3 girls at home who are interested in comics..

Both Thorn and Grandma from Bone.

Katy Keene. Betty and Veronica just aren't my idea of "role models" as they both have underlying issues, but Katy is pretty independent and does what she loves to do.

Betty doesn't have enough self esteem to realize there is more to life then Archie. Veronica is pretty much worthless since she's an heiress, but I prefer her more to Betty.

Say it ain't so! Betty is loyal, she loves unconditionally. Veronica, is just spoiled and manipulative. Just my 2c

Archie constantly ditches her for Veronica. Betty, while she has dated others, still just wants Archie despite how crummy he treats her. Both girls can do better, IMO.

Archie, is still just your average 50+ year old teenager. He doesn't know what he wants, Betty does. Sadly Archie can't see that Betty is the one for him.

I still think both girls can do better. I also think Jughead and Betty would be a cute couple.

Unfortunately, there are aren't many other girls or guys that are written in Archies and so it is hard to judge just how much better they can do.

In my mind I don't see Jughead ever matching up with anyone and he will probably live at home until he's 50. (actually he reminds me of a few people I know in real life, I don't think they have ever had a real girlfriend, one I don't think has ever been on a date, it is kind of sad)

On the other hand Dilton and Cherry Blossum found romance, so maybe there is hope for Jughead.

Actually, Jughead has had more then one girlfriend. He has also confessed to having a crush on Betty.

Jughead is WAY past 50...;)

He was a teenager in 1941...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughead_Jones

Thanks for asking.

Jean Grey (Marvel Girl) from

Original X-Men (before she becomes Phoenix)

X-Factor

X-Men - First Class

Why? The priorities in Jean's life are loyalty to her friends and her college education. She is on leave from the X-Men during several issues while attending college.

Of all of these, X-Men - First Class is the most contemporary read.

Here are a couple of pages from X-Men First Class. This is a retelling of the story of Quicksilver (Peter) and the Scarlet Witch (Wanda) that most Silver Age comic fans will recognize.

x-menfirstclass1001.jpgx-menfirstclass1b.jpg

I think that the writing for Wanda and Jean are both positive here.

Phantom Lady, Sungirl, Sheena...Mysta, Zatanna, and maybe Huntress, although I haven't read all that many of the recent ones...they are on my to read pile. She-Hulk.

........Oh yeah! hm

Sandra Knight (circa 1947) would be MY choice for a strong female role model! (thumbs u :devil:

phantomlady_13.jpg

:popcorn:

I agree. Betty was like so many of my girlfriends. Always in love with the guy that treated her like .

Veronica at least has a positive self-image. Stuck-up, but positive. I'm sorry to say that I read countless Betty and Veronica issues back then.

I agree. Betty was like so many of my girlfriends. Always in love with the guy that treated her like .

Veronica at least has a positive self-image. Stuck-up, but positive. I'm sorry to say that I read countless Betty and Veronica issues back then.

That's very true.

And don't be sorry, there's nothing wrong with reading a few Archie comics here and there.

Aside from Wonder Woman, who would you recommend as a positive role model for girls? Serious answers, thanks, I have 3 girls at home who are interested in comics..

How old are they? Do they like super-hero comics?

I would suggest Archie as a place to start. They are collecting their stories in trades but the digest are always fun. Katy Keene has a trade plus Sabrina the manga version. http://archiecomics.stores.yahoo.net/graphicnovels.html

Star Spangled Kid (Courtney Whitmore)- I haven't read this particular story but it is from the same time of the JSA run. http://www.amazon.com/JSA-Presents-Stars-S-T-R-I-P/dp/1401213901/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1296211235&sr=8-8

If they are younger, you can pick up any book from the DC Johnny line. Although I suggest looking at the original animated comics like Batman Adventures, Batman and Robin Adventures and even Gotham Adventures wasn't too bad.

From a guy viewpoint...they're both hot and underlying issues mean nothing! :grin:

From the standpoint of role models...I wouldn't look to comic books for role models for your children boys or girls. My 2c

it's all in good fun and not rooted in reality which is what my kids know when I read comics to them..."it's all pretend" is what I teach them.

How old are they? Do they like super-hero comics?

I would suggest Archie as a place to start. They are collecting their stories in trades but the digest are always fun. Katy Keene has a trade plus Sabrina the manga version. http://archiecomics.stores.yahoo.net/graphicnovels.html

Star Spangled Kid (Courtney Whitmore)- I haven't read this particular story but it is from the same time of the JSA run. http://www.amazon.com/JSA-Presents-Stars-S-T-R-I-P/dp/1401213901/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1296211235&sr=8-8

If they are younger, you can pick up any book from the DC Johnny line. Although I suggest looking at the original animated comics like Batman Adventures, Batman and Robin Adventures and even Gotham Adventures wasn't too bad.

+1 on everything but Archie.

From a guy viewpoint...they're both hot and underlying issues mean nothing! :grin:

From the standpoint of role models...I wouldn't look to comic books for role models for your children boys or girls. My 2c

it's all in good fun and not rooted in reality which is what my kids know when I read comics to them..."it's all pretend" is what I teach them.

I must agree. I made a flippant post about Cherry, but the truth is I have a 19 month old daughter and would not rely on these books for role models.

Not to say that works of fiction can't produce proper role models, just not this particular medium.

IMHO.