• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most philosophical comic page ever?

10 posts in this topic

Typical beat cop - shouldn't he have been more concerned with the sight of a shoe-less half-naked man walking down the street? lol

Nice touch with the casual racism in the last panel as well.

A few months ago I was driving home from a late night poker game. It was 1:00 am and there were no cars at all to be seen. I was pulling up to a red light that I was going to turn right at, and I noticed a cop cruiser parked in a bank lot near there. He was parked with his lights off. I drove past him and stopped at the red light and then proceeded to turn right (there was no sign indicating that a right turn on red was not allowed) (in Ohio, you are allowed to trun right on a red light after checking to see that there are no cars coming). As I turned right, I observed the cop car come quickly out of the bank parking lot and "chase" me down the road. He turned his overhead lights on and I pulled over to the side of the road. He approached my drivers door window and asked to see my drivers license. I handed it to him and he asked if I knew why he pulled me over.

I said "no sir". He said "huh". I again said "no sir". Again he said "huh". I just smiled. Then he said that I turned right without using my turning signal. I said to him that it wasn't necessary as there were no other cars around except mine and his, and that he was parked in a parking lot with his lights off.

He said "huh", again. I smiled. Then he said that it is the law that I have to use a turning signal when turning. I replied that it just doesn't make sense to use it if there are no other cars around.

He said "huh", again (really starting to pizz me off at this point, with his "huh's"). The he said "so, if the speed limit is 35 and there are no other cars around, you think that it is okay to do 100 mph?"

I replied "no, that is not comparable, because speed is a safety issue but a turning signals sole purpose is to use to alert other vehicle operators around, what your intentions are. There were no other vehicles around so it would be a moot point to use a turning signal."

He again said "huh". I smiled and told him that he says huh a lot. He said "huh" (honestly, he did). I couldn't stop smiling and almost laughed.

Then he handed me back my drivers license and told me I could leave. He cautioned me to use my turning signals when turning. He did not give me a ticket. I am sure that he was just looking for excuses to pull vehicles over, in the hope of smelling alcohol coming from the vehicle or driver. He was "hunting" (as we used to call it).

When I got home, I had to wake my wife to tell her about this "huh cop". It was so funny. :)

This comic portion above reminded me of that incident.

Being a retired cop, I am respectfull to law enforcement, but I don't take any krap from them. I talk to them like I talk to a clerk in Wal-Mart. If I get a ticket, so be it. I can afford it and I ain't kissing their butts to save some cash, and I ain't worried about "points" on my license as I am a very slow and good driver. I have never had an accident and have been driving since 1969.

Having recounted this story, I still want to mention that over half the "beat cops" out there are chock full of common sense and goodheartedness. But there are some without much common sense and some that look at life like this: "I'm a cop and you're not. Sucks to be you right now".

I would not say these types of actions are "typical". But they are not rare either. :(