• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about "spine tics"

8 posts in this topic

I've ordered the Overstreet Guide to Grading and should have in a week or two, but had a question in the meantime.

I'm curious how bad a "spine tic" has to be before it affects the grade. I have a book that looks beautiful otherwise, but has a couple of spine tics on the front spine. They are hardly noticeable from the front, but if you rotate the book and look along the spine, you can just see slight dimples in the spine (you pretty much need light reflecting off of the cover to see them).

Working on getting a scan, but I was curious what others thought.

ok, sorry that this is a bit large. When I tried to scale down, the tics became undetectable. They may look color-breaking in this sample, but that's the scanner light reflecting off the cover.

Book is obviously not high-value, just happened to be bagging it and wanted to see how this was graded.

There are 2 tics visible, to the left of the jailor; one at his waist and one just below his chin.

hmm, photobucket may have scaled it too far to see the tics. I can just barely see the tic to the left of his waist.

next_men_3.jpg

while there are no hard rules, don't forget a 9.8 book is not perfect so there is flaw(s).

I read on this board frequently that people can see one visible small tick in a 9.8 slab because it can.

It also depends on the arts also...sometimes a 1/8" spine tick with some color loss in a busy area with other arts then CGC is more forgiving. Assuming the rest of the book is flawless.

If you have a black cover and you have one 1/16" tick showing white but the rest of the book is flawless, I am certain the book will get a 9.8

I think people just need to understand the "9.8" is not FLAWLESS.

I think spine tick(s) 1/8" or smaller are much more forgiving by CGC than corner creases with color loss in the same size.