• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the odds?

16 posts in this topic

Just wondering what the odds are of a book changing from a Universal label to a PLOD when the submission is still just listed as "verified"?

I sent in a submission with a GA and a SA book that i was a little worried would be restored. Right now the order is just listed as "verified" but both say "Universal". Now i know that can change and isnt final but just wondering how likely it is that there is a change.

Am i pretty safe to get back two blue labels?

can't say because at this stage, I don't believe anyone is actively looking for restorations yet so even the most obvious color touched spots might not be look upon.

Let see what others will say.

The one i'm worried most about is a Human Torch #19 that i bought way back in the early 90's at a LCS. I dont think it has been restored but a couple people have told me recently that the store i got it at was known for trimming their GA books.

It's a real nice copy with just a little ding in the middle of the cover so i'd be pretty bummed if it comes back a PLOD. For a long time, it was the centerpiece of my collection so i definitely want that Blue label! :wishluck:

I've also had a comic go from "restored" in the verified stage to "universal" in the graded stage. It came back with a note: "very minor amount of glue on spine." I guess the final grader determined it was not enough glue to warrant a PLOD.

I think the CGC website says that the first stage in the grading process is the restoration check, but that at any point, subsequent graders could find something and it could go from blue to purple. Probably unlikely. Good luck!

The one i'm worried most about is a Human Torch #19 that i bought way back in the early 90's at a LCS. I dont think it has been restored but a couple people have told me recently that the store i got it at was known for trimming their GA books.

It's a real nice copy with just a little ding in the middle of the cover so i'd be pretty bummed if it comes back a PLOD. For a long time, it was the centerpiece of my collection so i definitely want that Blue label! :wishluck:

I've had several books go from Universal to PLOD after being verified, Trimming was the usual suspect there in my cases...

Once it says "scheduled for grading" I have not had any change at that point,not saying it doesn't happen,just not to me yet in hundreds of submissions. 2c

Just wondering what the odds are of a book changing from a Universal label to a PLOD when the submission is still just listed as "verified"?

I sent in a submission with a GA and a SA book that i was a little worried would be restored. Right now the order is just listed as "verified" but both say "Universal". Now i know that can change and isnt final but just wondering how likely it is that there is a change.

You are not through the woods yet.

You are not through the woods yet.

Agreed, you're never through the woods until it says "SHIPPED". :grin:

can't say because at this stage, I don't believe anyone is actively looking for restorations yet so even the most obvious color touched spots might not be look upon.

Let see what others will say.

This is what CGC says it does:

CGC’s Receiving Department opens the newly arrived packages each morning and immediately verifies that the number of books in each package matches the number shown on the invoice. Once this is done, a more detailed comparison is made to ensure that their invoice descriptions correspond to the actual comics. This information is entered into a computer, and the comics will henceforth be traceable at all stages of the grading process by their invoice number and their line number within that invoice. Each book is placed within protective mylar that has affixed to it a label bearing the invoice and line item numbers, information which is duplicated on the label in a bar-coded inscription for quick reading by the computer. Before any grading is performed, each book is examined by a CGC Restoration Detection Expert. If any form of restoration work is detected, this information is entered into the computer so that it will be available to the grading team.

Well, i got the unofficial grades today as they switched from verified to scheduled for grading.

All 3 at this point are still blue labels so hopefully nothing will change on the final grades. The grades were lower than hoped for on all 3 though :(

X-men #3 9.0 (Hoped for 9.2)

Human Torch #19 7.5 (Hoped for 8.0)

Daredevil #1 5.5 (Hoped for 6.5)

Not too thrilled with the grades for sure but as long as they all stay Universal, i wont be too upset.