• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the ultimate comic that you have to have but can't afford?

92 posts in this topic

All-Negro #1, and Negro Romance #1 through #4

Believe it or not, Negro Romance #1-4 is much scarcer than All-Negro. Good luck putting together a run.

Heritage has Negro Romance #1 to 3 in their auction. :gossip:

Thank you kind sir! Everyone else stay away from them. :sumo:

Adventure72_EdgarChurch.jpg

Also, I have all kinds of questions about Jack Burnley's cover. Why is the bad guy shirtless? What the hell is that machine and why is it so awkward? What did the guy on the table do to deserve what's coming? And lastly, how will Starman save the day? Combine the cover with the S&K Sandman story... super cool.

i think the guy on table is having his suit dry cleaned by a futuristic dry cleaning machine that doesn't require you to take off the suit. the guy with the goggles has no shirt because it's hot working in a laundry. starman is making sure the guy on the table has his parking stub validated for free parking.

oh, my ultimate comic?

i wouldn't mind having that detective 27 on the table. too bad i wasn't around back then. :)

cherokee_burt.jpg

That is by far the best photo of an early comic book store. Also, thanks for the clarification on Adventure 72. Nice work, sir. (thumbs u

Superman 1

cherokee_burt.jpg

Rick Durrell was a big time collector back in the day. I never knew him, but he was best friends with a friend I made after Rick had passed away.

Sad story how Rick's wife apparently resented all the time (and money) he put into the hobby, and after his death she just wanted to get rid of the books. Rumor has it that Gerber took advantage of the situation, but I don't know all the details.

L.A. had some other great shops besides Cherokee (Collectors and Bond Street come to mind)...today, nothing. :(

All-Negro #1, and Negro Romance #1 through #4

Believe it or not, Negro Romance #1-4 is much scarcer than All-Negro. Good luck putting together a run.

Heritage has Negro Romance #1 to 3 in their auction. :gossip:

Thanks for mentioning that. I hadn't noticed. I can't afford them, but will at least enjoy watching the action.

Superman 1

cherokee_burt.jpg

Rick Durrell was a big time collector back in the day. I never knew him, but he was best friends with a friend I made after Rick had passed away.

Sad story how Rick's wife apparently resented all the time (and money) he put into the hobby, and after his death she just wanted to get rid of the books. Rumor has it that Gerber took advantage of the situation, but I don't know all the details.

L.A. had some other great shops besides Cherokee (Collectors and Bond Street come to mind)...today, nothing. :(

That is kind of sad. I just can't believe that Spider-man was 1 year old when this picture was taken.

Superman 1

cherokee_burt.jpg

Fascinating. I was vaguely aware of what kind of a collecting mecca Hollywood Blvd was back in the 1960s, but didn't realize just how important.

Sad that that era is long gone.

My dream comic is the Ashcan Action 1. The cover is so magnificent and just to know that the ashcan had a different cover than the actual issue adds to it's allure. I hope to own one one day. I saw one 2 years ago on Ebay. It was a 9.4 for $33,000. I did not think this was a bad price but I could not afford it.

Bo,

There are only three copies of this book known to exist. DC has one in their vault. The book you're referring was sold to a collector whom I provided a letter of provenance. (BTW, it was a 9.0 not a 9.4.) Here's the 9.2 from my collection.

It took me nearly 25 years to acquire the Supergirl ashcan (only know copy) so you could be in for a lengthy wait...

ActionComicsAshcanFC.jpg

My dream comic is the Ashcan Action 1. The cover is so magnificent and just to know that the ashcan had a different cover than the actual issue adds to it's allure. I hope to own one one day. I saw one 2 years ago on Ebay. It was a 9.4 for $33,000. I did not think this was a bad price but I could not afford it.

Bo,

There are only three copies of this book known to exist. DC has one in their vault. The book you're referring was sold to a collector whom I provided a letter of provenance. (BTW, it was a 9.0 not a 9.4.) Here's the 9.2 from my collection.

It took me nearly 25 years to acquire the Supergirl ashcan (only know copy) so you could be in for a lengthy wait...

ActionComicsAshcanFC.jpg

(worship)

Bo,

ActionComicsAshcanFC.jpg

:o:o