• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Current Writer? Noms here, poll to follow!

44 posts in this topic

I'll give it a week for nominations and then I'll post a poll starting next Thursday...

I'll start things off with my pick- Warren Ellis. In the past month I've re-read the first two Planetary trades, his totally underrated mini-series Red and all of Transmetropolitan. Beyond being a hell of a lot of fun it reminded me that there is no writer in comics today that better connects with me as a reader.

Geoff Johns. In my mind... the best writer to come along in years. does an amazing job updating the classic heroes without ignoring past continuity.

Ah! You beat me to it! Since foolkiller nominated Johns, I'll go with Warren Ellis. Someone, Zonker I think, recommended planetary and I have enjoyed it very much. Global Frequency is pretty good also.

I'll throw out a few names.....

Brian Azzarello - 100 Bullets is the most clever series I have ever read. Azz has "street lingo" down pat, and nobody can "set-up" better than he can. I love how he ties seemingly insignificant events into the big picture. His Hellblazer was an outstanding take on the character as well.

BMB - There are alot of haters out there, but this guy can tell a good story. His Daredevil stuff is his best (I don't read Powers sorry.gif), and he has done the best things with the character since Miller took over. I can't remember the last time you actually saw Murdock in costume, but, you know what, I don't even care!!!

Geoff Johns. In my mind... the best writer to come along in years. does an amazing job updating the classic heroes without ignoring past continuity.

Ah! You beat me to it! Since foolkiller nominated Johns, I'll go with Warren Ellis. Someone, Zonker I think, recommended planetary and I have enjoyed it very much. Global Frequency is pretty good also.

Afraid I can't take credit for that-- I've not read either Planetary or Transmet-- but I liked the early Authority very very much.

I'd also nominate Jim Robinson on the basis of Starman #0 up (#80 I think was the last one).

Here's an unpopular position... Alan Moore is overrated. Although I thought Watchmen and Killing Joke were very good, as was the work on Miracleman and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen --- I find a lot of his efforts subpar. Top Ten, Promethea, and Tom Strong all seem rather ordinary to me.

Although I enjoy Alan Moore, I think his reputation exceeds his actual quality of work at this point. Is Alan Moore a very, very good writer? Yes, he's proven himself as steady... but I think people are putting his work on pedastal because of Watchmen, and from that standpoint, I find him to be overrated.

Here's an unpopular position... Alan Moore is overrated. Although I thought Watchmen and Killing Joke were very good, as was the work on Miracleman and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen --- I find a lot of his efforts subpar. Top Ten, Promethea, and Tom Strong all seem rather ordinary to me.

Although I enjoy Alan Moore, I think his reputation exceeds his actual quality of work at this point. Is Alan Moore a very, very good writer? Yes, he's proven himself as steady... but I think people are putting his work on pedastal because of Watchmen, and from that standpoint, I find him to be overrated.

After reading the 1st TPB of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing I didn't see what all the hype was about. Didn't hook me in. Guess he is an acquired taste that I just haven't gained.

Surprised a lot names haven't been said, although I agree with busiek, johns and bendis.

some others

FABIAN NICIEZA

MARK WAID

J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

BRIAN K. VAUGHAN

CHRIS CLAREMONT

CHUCK AUSTEN

JOSEPH MICHAEL LINSNER

DREW HAYES

I feel Johns is over-rated, but that is the Avengers fan in me - he really sucked on the title. How bad? He is making Austen look real good right now foreheadslap.gif

My picks:

STRACZYNSKI - Supreme Power

MILLAR - Ultimates, Ultimate FF

BENDIS - Ultimate Spidey, Ultimate FF

LOEB - Superman/Batman

JURGENS - Thor (sleeper pick grin.gif)

BUSIEK - Conan and Avengers/JLA

I like the Jurgens pick. His work on Thor has really been quiet but some really, really solid writing.

You're right about Johns and the Avengers... his weakest work was on this title. More could have been done with it. I'd rather see Johns pen Cap (since I think he would do better with a solo character) but now that he's DC exclusive, that won't happen in the near future.

flamed.gif HERESY! BURN THE WITCH! grin.gif

To each his own, I guess. I've been highly intrigued by a number of the metaphysical concepts Moore has explored in books like Promethea and to a lesser extent, Supreme. I also enjoy how he can craft a story in the Silver Age style without it being one bit cheesy like he has in Supreme and Tom Strong. And maybe I just liked Gene Ha's artwork so much in Top Ten that my admiration bled over to the writing. insane.gif (I doubt it ....)

I haven't read Watchmen since 1996, so I don't believe I'm falsely elevating Moore. In fact, I'll be the first to admit that Gaiman has slipped considerably since Sandman and that Ennis has become a parody of his old self, and those are two writers I figured I would love unconditionally until my dying day. I just don't see any slippage in Moore's stuff.

Again, to each his own.

Alan