• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on upper low grade FF #1 - fair market value?

21 posts in this topic

So I was watching as SNE listed some great books. I also realized that they listed 3 FF1s. This one caught my eye:

link

now, I thought that guide for a 4.0 FF #1 is $1,684 (OT - what's up with the "4" as the last digit? why not round down to "80" or up to an even $1,700????)

with 8 days and 20 hours left I think it's safe to say that this one still has some room to run.

What's driving this auction? Why is this book above guide already? Now, I can see the argument for paying primo prices for top copies, but this book in 4.0 is by no means rare but it's already above guide. Are people just getting in because it's SNE, because the guide is less than 1 month away, because there are tons of speculators in this book?

Thoughts?

DAM

I think the reason you're seeing above guide for an FF#1 in low grade is because there's more competition for the book. People can afford $2k for an FF #1 but they can't afford $10k. There are plenty of FF collectors looking to fill out their run or obtain a key book, so when one does become available there's heightened competition to get the book. Those people are willing to pay slightly above guide in order to obtain the book since it's still within their price range.

I believe the 4.5 has been listed twice now, but it's way over market price. GPA says:

4.0 - $1,700 (no sales data since '02!)

4.5 - $2,200

I think the reason you're seeing above guide for an FF#1 in low grade is because there's more competition for the book. People can afford $2k for an FF #1 but they can't afford $10k.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Once a book hits a certain price level at a certain grade level, it's a break point for many collectors so they have to move down into the next grade level to find something they can afford. Consequently, you see more competition in that lower grade level and then the price goes up for the lower grades. A chain reaction of sorts.

I'm glad I got my FF 1 last year... I don't know if I could afford it anymore. 893whatthe.gif

Another point to consider here is that low-mid grade Keys like this have never really commanded a premium for slabbed copies, so a nice looking VG or VG/F is looking like a bargain now compared to a slabbed 7.0+!! thumbsup2.gif

I believe the 4.5 has been listed twice now, but it's way over market price. GPA says:

4.0 - $1,700 (no sales data since '02!)

4.5 - $2,200

That 4.5 was my book, the current seller BINed it from me at $2,700 if memory serves.

Wonder if the sale shows up on GPAnalysis? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Could someone please explain this to me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2233545898&category=32731&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

I know it's a FF#4..... but sweet jebus the price...

A CGC 0.5 going for 3.0 prices with days to go ?

hey, maybe the slabs are gonna start pulling multiples of guide in all grades?!?! devil.gif

actually, i suspect that the potential buyers see the book as nicer than a .5. if you can get past the missing non-story page, it's not that terrible a book to look at. AND, it is, (IMO) one of the greatest comics of all time. acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speculation of the FF MOVIE.

BINGO!

Anyone speculating on a new FF movie may have a long wait. The film may have been announced as having a projected 2005 release, but that could just as easily mean 2006, 2007 or never.

One reason FF 1 in lower grade may be moving up in value is that it's guide value in 2.0 is actually less than what it was 10 years ago. With the phenomenal growth in value of high grade copies, I think alot of collectors are looking at G to VG copies as an incredible bargain, even at 150+% of guide, especially when compared to AF 15.

They don't even have a director yet, let alone a cast. Is a draft of an approved -script even finished? sleeping.gif

Quote:

Speculation of the FF MOVIE.

BINGO!

Anyone speculating on a new FF movie may have a long wait. The film may have been announced as having a projected 2005 release, but that could just as easily mean 2006, 2007 or never.

You just hit it right on the head. My auction just ended for a CGC 3.5 VG- off white/white pages without a bidder, but I sold it offline within 30 minute for $2,200 (my minimum asking price). I think I did ok, but I was advised to unslab it and sell it for more. I'll see if this happens in the next few weeks.