• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 21*

60 posts in this topic

I should have looked for a few seconds longer to lower the grade... :sumo:

xmen 94 (CGC 9.2 is my grade)

looks like a 9.2 after 5 seconds of looking....if I take longer it'll just go down anyway.

didn't look for any real flaws...saw the miscut, tiny top corner crease, minor spine ticks, rounded bottom corner.....but hey...it's a 94 (by definition 9.4)

Rounded corners, spine stresses, crease top right, tears on bottom edge of back cover.

Yeah, solid 9.0. :D

meh

I'm now about to submit my grades for the final four rounds. No point actually looking at the books, as it makes no difference.

But its what CGC would grade. Thats the point, what they think the grade is. Personally I would automatically VF the book due to the small chip on the BC.

Rounded corners, spine stresses, crease top right, tears on bottom edge of back cover.

meh

I'm now about to submit my grades for the final four rounds. No point actually looking at the books, as it makes no difference.

But its what CGC would grade. Thats the point, what they think the grade is. Personally I would automatically VF the book due to the small chip on the BC.

Which is what I had it at...a VF. (thumbs u

meh

That's what I was thinking. I thought it was a 9.0 just by the URC color breaking crease plus the spine ticks. Then add the rounded outside corners and that back cover chip and I'm thinking 8.0. But I bumped it to 8.5 just to try to get the 3 points.

meh

Which is what I had it at...a VF. (thumbs u

If I told you how I learned to grade, you would krap your pants. But I can switch between OSPG style, and CGC grading. When I grade my own books it is a hybrid of both. But some defects, like last round I just dont know how to approach so I murder them.

meh

That's what I was thinking. I thought it was a 9.0 just by the URC color breaking crease plus the spine ticks. Then add the rounded outside corners and that back cover chip and I'm thinking 8.0. But I bumped it to 8.5 just to try to get the 3 points.

Rounded corners? Looked like something chewed one of them off. Sigh... :sorry:

Holy :censored:!

I had it at 7.5... maybe 8.0.

But a 9.0?!

Rounded corners, corner crease on FC, spine ticks, chip out from BC, small tear in BC and a bit of a miswrap...

Ok.

Must have been graded the same day as Tomahawk which just happened to coincide with the SoCo tasting event.

Sheesh, upper right corner crease, small chunk off the bottom back cover, several small spine stress lines. Looked about as nice as my old 8.0.

CGC obviously deemed the missing chunk on the back cover and the sliced off/rounded corner as Production Defects, which is why this round was so tough. There is no way to get this right other than guessing what the CGC notes were.

If the chunk and corner aren't production, then no way it scores higher than an 8.0.

That's why I went with an 8.5, it covers off at least one of them as production and hopefully saves my bacon.

Sheesh, upper right corner crease, small chunk off the bottom back cover, several small spine stress lines. Looked about as nice as my old 8.0.

CGC obviously deemed the missing chunk on the back cover and the sliced off/rounded corner as Production Defects, which is why this round was so tough. There is no way to get this right other than guessing what the CGC notes were.

If the chunk and corner aren't production, then no way it scores higher than an 8.0.

That's why I went with an 8.5, it covers off at least one of them as production and hopefully saves my bacon.

That was smart...

Good points for further reference!

By far the toughest round, and I think this one might separate the men from the little men. :tonofbricks:

so Joe, what about this book? or did you decide to exclude it after more people got it right that you thought.

By far the toughest round, and I think this one might separate the men from the little men. :tonofbricks:

so Joe, what about this book? or did you decide to exclude it after more people got it right that you thought.

As stated multiple, multiple, multiple times, I data mine AFTER submitting my grade, otherwise I'd be in first place by a mile. lol