• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shops closing

18 posts in this topic

This week my LCS told me he was closing. Would be closed down by next week. One of two Capitol Comics in Raleigh is closing down http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9059913/ My LCS owner told me the writing has been on the wall for the "little shops" for a while now and he knew it was just a matter of time. Nothing new, but hadn't really thought about it until it affected me personally.

This week my LCS told me he was closing. Would be closed down by next week. One of two Capitol Comics in Raleigh is closing down http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9059913/ My LCS owner told me the writing has been on the wall for the "little shops" for a while now and he knew it was just a matter of time. Nothing new, but hadn't really thought about it until it affected me personally.

My LCS closed a couple of summers ago after a nearly 20-year run in several locations throughout town. I now hit the road every 2 to 3 months for an hour commute to the Atlanta area for my new ASMs. It took me a while to make the transition. In fact, Rikki, you helped me get some of the recent back issues I needed back then, before I got linked up with the other LCS. :hail:

When I first moved to this neighborhood about 10 yrs ago, there was a LCS called Logan's Den.

The owners name was Logan, a really nice guy, and a very cool store. One week I stopped by and it was gone :(

The store I went to ever since then, is now gone to :(

There are still a couple within 25 miles from me Scott, but this particular owner actually engaged his customers most any topic they wanted to discuss and was customer friendly. The other two..not so much. Think I'll just pick up issues at the Raleigh comic con once or twice a year or buy them in runs off the internet.

Seems its hard to keep your head above water in the Comic Store Biz. Stinks because thats what i would love to do one day. Seems like there is no money to keep the brick and morter store afloat. Used to be tons of stores in my area...2 in my town alone....None now in my town and less and less as time goes on... :cry: Now I have to drive to other towns to find comic stores.

2 comic/sports card stores closed around me. another one was taken over by a new owner and is trying to orient more towards a kids friendly environment (changing the name from "monster factory" to "brooklyn comics" or something like that), although the old owner still seemed to be around too. we'll see, i hope they survive, but i haven't helped matters by not dropping by in like 2 months. there's just been too darn much snow for the last 6 or so weeks.

I dont own a shop but it seems like the only way to survive is to market many different products like gaming, toys, etc.

My LCS sells costumes, and has a sex shop in the back. the also have a game room where people do paper gaming and mtg.

the back issues around here suck

the best back issues can be found in the back issues at hastings.

I found some old very nice condition uncanny x-men. some early chewa and morning glories sweet place to snipe some stuff.

our lcs tho has so many variants in thier backstock.. i have picked up some good stuff just i prolly have more comics in my personal collection than they have for sell

I dont own a shop but it seems like the only way to survive is to market many different products like gaming, toys, etc.

My LCS sells costumes, and has a sex shop in the back. the also have a game room where people do paper gaming and mtg.

Thats a perverts dream isn't it to have a sex shop inside a comic store? lol

Thats a perverts dream isn't it to have a sex shop inside a comic store? lol

Yeah, but I doubt you'd shop there, as you'd probably be able to get both cheaper online. :/

... sweet place to snipe some stuff.

And that is one of the reasons many stores don't survive. They don't capitalize on hot items while we profit from them... I'm not pointing figures, because most of us do it. It's the store's responsibility to keep on top of these things, and those who don't don't, usually don't survive.

It's funny how many of us, myself included, complain when a store sells something 'hot' or variants at an inflated price, but we have no problem doing it ourselves... :P How else can a store survive? They have to make their money somehow. And yes, there is a fine line to walk between striking when the iron is hot and not ripping off your clientele. Few stores do that right.

It's a real shame about the disappearing LCSs.

Thats a fanboys dream isn't it to have a sex shop inside a comic store? lol

fixed that for you (thumbs u

I bought my very first Timely from Capitol Comics on Hillsborough Street back in 1993, was a birthday present to me and the start of a long/expensive genre of collecting Schomburg WWII and Sci-fi covers. :cloud9:

I actually ran into Ken (the owner) a few weeks ago as his/my daughter were playing each other in B-ball. The newer store (although it's probably been there now for 10 years?) is much bigger/brighter/nicer but the Hillsborough Street store was right there next to campus, guess college kids don't read comics anymore? Russ is an icon in the Triangle comics scene, hopefully he'll be involved with the north raleigh store.

sub11.jpg