• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Usually not hyper critical of super hero movie stuff, but...

68 posts in this topic

If I were the producers I would be up to the same thing.

Sure, if money is your only goal, then appealing to adolescents works great, since they won't demand quality, but my point is:

WHY ARE ADULTS EVEN DISCUSSING THIS MOVIE? doh!

Because adults were the ones who led Spider-Man 1 and 2 to $800M worldwide box office, and the inferior SM 3 to $900M. Twilight? $350M. Eclipse and New Moon? 700M each.

Sure, if money is your only goal, then appealing to adolescents works great, since they won't demand quality, but my point is:

lol

We are nerds, dorks, & geeks, dude. Settle down.

Spider-Man was created by Stan to be a high school melodrama with lots of over the top sci-fi super-heroic action. The serialized nature of comics has long been compared, favorably, to soap operas.

What's the conflict all about, JC?

Money Grubbing Hollywood Producer: So you see Joe, if we get the girls who loved Twilight to come and see this movie. It will give us an even bigger box office. We're not rebooting and restarting these things for and grins ya know.

Joe Q: But... But... What about the fan boys? The real loyal comic readers?

MGHP: (Smacks Joe upside the head with his walking cane) You dunce! THEY will show up regardless of what we put out. Daredevil actually MADE money, dummy.

Joe Q: (Fixes what little hair he has left) yeah, yeah. Ok.

MGHP: As an example, look what YOU'VE done in your time at Marvel. You've put out the most senseless forgettable ever published and the nimrods keep buying it every month, RIGHT?

Joe Q: Well, we have some good cover artists and, uh, some events and crossovers...

MGHP: .

Joe Q: Well...yeah.

MGHP: Kiss my boot.

Joe Q: (smooch)

It would be funnier if it wasnt true....

True as in you seriously think Joe Q cares that much about the fans? lol

Stan Lee did it first. Why not reclaim the throne?

I hope it works because it will really help the property's future.

I'd agree that the personal drama in the first 100 issues of ASM was terrific. The trick will be to blend this in with the action elements of the movie.

As far as the adolescent crowd goes, I suspect the male half probably saw SM 1-3, and will see the new movie. The female half? For those who didn't see SM 1-3, will putting a Twilight like spin on the movie really get them to see it? Will BO revenue from this demographic offset possibly losing revenue from fans who led SM 1-3 to the above BO numbers? Seems like a thin margin gamble to me, with more downside than upside.

For those of you trying to defend this casting, just wait. I can see this coming next:

Variety - Today Columbia Pictures and Marvel Comics announced Justin Bieber is slated to play Eddie Brock aka Venom, in the sequel to last year's blockbuster 'Young Spider-man' (renamed at the last minute, despite the protest of hundreds of fanboys).

Bieber said, "I want to play him as a very angry character. Maybe as someone who wasn't able to get all the video games he wanted as a child. Yes. Very angry. And scary!"

Dale,

Wait till you either see the trailer or of course the movie first. Just look at how people were trashing the Captain America movie, but they are kissing its butt

Once the Spider-man trailer comes out we will see a new thread with boardies saying they probably can't wait to see the new Spider-man movie where people will be like:

Man this looks great

Can't wait to see it

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Same people who said the Spider-man pictures already ruined the movie. doh!

Can't we all just wait to see each new comic book movie before we totally trash it just based on either a picture, movie poster, or 10 second Superbowl trailer. :baiting:

Remember how we all said Heath Ledger was a terrible choice for playing the Joker, so maybe we should stop passing judgment on movies before we at least see them first (shrug)

Dale,

Wait till you either see the trailer or of course the movie first. Just look at how people were trashing the Captain America movie, but they are kissing its butt

Once the Spider-man trailer comes out we will see a new thread with boardies saying they probably can't wait to see the new Spider-man movie where people will be like:

Man this looks great

Can't wait to see it

Can't we all just wait to see each new comic book movie before we totally trash it just based on either a picture, movie poster, or 10 second Superbowl trailer. :baiting:

Remember how we all said Heath Ledger was a terrible choice for playing the Joker, so maybe we should stop passing judgment on movies before we at least see them first (shrug)

Heath Ledger did a wonderful job in TDK, too bad he wasn't playing the Joker...

Dale,

Man this looks great

Can't wait to see it

:ohnoez:

I'm with you John. :applause:

The producers have stated time and time again, that this movie will be Spider-man Twilight, designed to appeal to adolescent and teen girls in the same way Twilight did.

So basically they're targeting Doc Watson? hm

Remember how we all said Heath Ledger was a terrible choice for playing the Joker,

Ledger was a terrible choice, and the Joker part was simply one of the juiciest, most well-written, quote-laden roles in the history of movies. Joker was the star of TDK, not Batman.

Toss a dozen quality actors in there and the movie would have been just as good, if not better - it's called GREAT WRITING.

Peter Parker? To me he looks more like a hip Norman Bates.

Is this guy English, as he looks about as Brit as you can get.

Never mind, I looked it up - he was born in the US to Brit parents, who moved him to England when he was 4, and he lived there since.

I enjoyed Jack Nicholson as the Joker, much more than I did Heath Ledger. Although Heath did a very good job. Nicholson did a great job.

I think that it is an age thing. Heath was highly regarded by young people prior to his role. Nicholson was highly regarded by older people prior to his role. I understand how viewers relate better to those of their own age.

But Nicholsons Joker was actually funny. After all. The name is The Joker. Not Johhny the Homicidal Maniac.

Just my take on it.

Remember how we all said Heath Ledger was a terrible choice for playing the Joker,

Ledger was a terrible choice, and the Joker part was simply one of the juiciest, most well-written, quote-laden roles in the history of movies. Joker was the star of TDK, not Batman.

Toss a dozen quality actors in there and the movie would have been just as good, if not better - it's called GREAT WRITING.

Ledger was a lot more talented actor than you are willing to admit. It was not all about the writing, he stole the show with his acting ability & portrayal of the character.

Because adults were the ones who led Spider-Man 1 and 2 to $800M worldwide box office, and the inferior SM 3 to $900M. Twilight? $350M. Eclipse and New Moon? 700M each.

yes, but the combined budgets of the twilight movies wouldn't have paid for sam raimi's donuts and coffee

The movie going public at large didn't notice nor cared.

That's the shame of it isn't it? The movie going public at large has no idea how cool the Joker really is or that Spider-Man didn't have organic web shooters, etc etc. To them, these are the definitive versions of the characters. I'm all the more saddened that so many alleged comicbook fans take it in stride and are willing to lap up almost anything Hollywood is providing :(

I enjoyed Jack Nicholson as the Joker, much more than I did Heath Ledger. Although Heath did a very good job. Nicholson did a great job.

I think that it is an age thing. Heath was highly regarded by young people prior to his role. Nicholson was highly regarded by older people prior to his role. I understand how viewers relate better to those of their own age.

But Nicholsons Joker was actually funny. After all. The name is The Joker. Not Johhny the Homicidal Maniac.

Just my take on it.

Amen. I thought Nicholson did a very good job of portraying the Joker and I think Mark Hamill did a fantastic job of portraing the character in Batman: TAS. My wife thinks Cesar Romero ( ignore the mustache ) was far and away the best and as far as potraying the character in the comics, I find it hard to argue with her :)

yes, but the combined budgets of the twilight movies wouldn't have paid for sam raimi's donuts and coffee

Point taken. But if take the $750M revenue edge of the 3 SM movies, and compare the total 3 movie budgets: (SM 139,200,258) -(TW 37,50,68)=474M - you still have a near 300M edge for Spidey. That's all the accountants care about.

And... you can 'Twighlightize' the upcoming Spidey, and risk alienating the core fans - but you sure as hell won't be doing it on a Twilight budget.