• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Con-- Advice needed pertaining to Hotel Room

17 posts in this topic

In mid-March I will embark on a drive from Toronto to California. I will be attending WonderCon at the beginning of April. I am on a low-budget. If I have to I will stay at the convention hotel but I would prefer to stay at a cheaper hotel that is within walking distance. When attending the Chicago Wizard World I stay at a Motel 6 which is a fifteen minute walk from the convention centre. Is there anything similar in San Francisco? Any help here would be appreciated.

In mid-March I will embark on a drive from Toronto to California. I will be attending WonderCon at the beginning of April. I am on a low-budget. If I have to I will stay at the convention hotel but I would prefer to stay at a cheaper hotel that is within walking distance. When attending the Chicago Wizard World I stay at a Motel 6 which is a fifteen minute walk from the convention centre. Is there anything similar in San Francisco? Any help here would be appreciated.

Here you go. From the web site.

http://www.comic-con.org/wc/wc_hotel.shtml

If you don't mind a short trip, you can also consider hotels in Fisherman's Wharf. Now, this area can be very touristy and isn't for everyone (I lived in this area for 4 years before moving across town), but does have some lower cost hotels (Holiday Inn) and local/smaller places (Bayside Inn, San Remo in North Beach). But, the F-line, which is easily accessible from the Wharf and North Beach, runs from the Wharf, down the Embarcadero, and then along Market St ($2 fare, 90 minute transfer), if you'd ride it to the Market & 4th stop, it's just a two block walk to Moscone.

if you're in relatively healthy shape, it doesn't matter where you get a hotel if you're around union square, you can just walk to the con. check hotels.com, orbitz, priceline, etc. good luck

Union Square... :cloud9:

If you're ever at Macy's, the first floor fine jewelry dept and second floor women's shoe dept were my projects.

:)

One thing to take into consideration is parking. When I stay in SF for business and I stay in Union Square I get charged $35 a day for parking (not kidding). I now stay at a place in the Lombard district where the room is cheaper (less than $100) but still nice and parking is free. You can take a bus or bart anywhere you want to go. PM me if you want the details.

Thanks for the kind words Roy. The plan is Chicago, St. Louis, New Mexico, Las Vegas, San Luis Obispo, Wondercon. Mark Innes of Hamilton is riding shot gun. I hope the car hold out. I hope it is cold so we can use the seat heaters. I hope it gets warm so we can use the sun roof. The less I spend on the way the more I can blow on comics once I get there.

Thanks for the kind words Roy. The plan is Chicago, St. Louis, New Mexico, Las Vegas, San Luis Obispo, Wondercon. Mark Innes of Hamilton is riding shot gun. I hope the car hold out. I hope it is cold so we can use the seat heaters. I hope it gets warm so we can use the sun roof. The less I spend on the way the more I can blow on comics once I get there.

This winter has been a warm one in Northern California so by April it may be really warm here. However, San Francisco is always colder than the rest of the state.

SLO is a cool central coast town, nicest prison in CA. (thumbs u

Make sure to stop by the madonna Inn; each room is uniquely themed (including the bathroom downstairs-- like a batcave). Not cheap to stay, but at the very least, worth the experience of eating there. There used to be a sweet comic shop in town; alas, no longer, I'm afraid.

This is sounding like more and more fun. I will be in San Luis Obispo for a week, staying with my step-son who resides and works there. That will be the main focus of my trip. I have been to SLO many times and know the town pretty well. Captain Nemo's is a great store. Last time I was there, I bought more music than comics.

And just so you know-- In the end I booked the convention hotel. The other hotels, farther away, were actually more expensive, which I suppose reflected the time of year and San Francisco's fabled high costs. Sadly, I couldn't book for Friday night so I will arrive early on Saturday and leave late on Sunday.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Ron

The other hotels, farther away, were actually more expensive, which I suppose reflected the time of year
That's the problem. I was going to recommend a nice place to you that's up in North Beach - $82 / $92 out of season, but by the time you're in SF for Wondercon the rate will already have increased to $170, and that's easily matched downtown.