• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC and Phoenix show????????

93 posts in this topic

So I just got back from preview night. Seemed like the crowds were fairly light, I expect things to pick up on Fri and Sat though...

The #1 thing I am happy that they changed this year is the exhibitor hall has been upgraded. Much more room to move down the aisles and TOOOONNS of space where all the big name guests will be signing. No lines snaking through the dealer booths :wishluck:

Dropped off my 3 books at CGC and used my coupon. Also got put first on Texeria's sketch list :headbang:

So far I am happy :D

Got to walk around the hall for a couple of hours before the doors opened to the public. Nice layout with wide isles. I like it (thumbs u

After the doors opened the crowd seemed pretty good to me. My only other convention experience is with SDCC, so my frame of reference is a bit skewed. I'd gestimate 20% of the booths were not set up, so I am expecting a better turnout from both sides of the tables tomorrow.

The worst part for me? Lugging around a bunch of comics all night waiting for a boardie to text me so he could pick them up :baiting:

And if I have CHEW Books for you, neither of the CHEW guys showed up (seems quite a few guys flying in from the east coast got delayed). Hope to get it done tomorrow

The worst part for me? Lugging around a bunch of comics all night waiting for a boardie to text me so he could pick them up :baiting:

:ohnoez:

Don't worry. I left them by the door near the registration desk. You can pick them up in the morning.

Perfect (thumbs u those books are so drekky they will still be there tomorrow lol

Got to walk around the hall for a couple of hours before the doors opened to the public. Nice layout with wide isles. I like it (thumbs u

After the doors opened the crowd seemed pretty good to me. My only other convention experience is with SDCC, so my frame of reference is a bit skewed. I'd gestimate 20% of the booths were not set up, so I am expecting a better turnout from both sides of the tables tomorrow.

And if I have CHEW Books for you, neither of the CHEW guys showed up (seems quite a few guys flying in from the east coast got delayed). Hope to get it done tomorrow

Major storms and tornados out here. If they were flying out of Atlanta last night I know for a fact from a friend that got stranded that all flights in and out of ATL were cancelled at one point due to weather last night.

Attended Thursday night and Friday. Thursday was rather light, but a decent crowd today. Guillory and Layman were there, couple of Image United #1 blanks being done there. They are excited about the TV deal. Also getting some sketches from Portacio and Tucci. It's great getting stuff signed without any lines. I haven't heard anything about McFarlane not showing up like an earlier post mentioned. Overall, great layout with great guest lineup. They have the Haunt 16 variant there, but the McFarlane signing is not CGC(Desert Winds there though) and I thought Capullo would be there from an earlier guest list, but he's not.

Wife and I got home about 9:00 after a very busy day today. Thursday preview was also busy for us. We have already sold about 5 long boxes of our 60 long boxes of dollar books plus a decent amount of SA and Bronze.

We turned on Fox local news to find I made the news with a brief interview and shots of my display boards. Nice way to end the evening. Up early tomorrow to pull more request books for buyers. Overall, a great start with Saturday expected to be crazy.

Please stop by and say hello. Already met up with a few of you but not everyone according to this thread.

Ed Robertson

Wife and I got home about 9:00 after a very busy day today. Thursday preview was also busy for us. We have already sold about 5 long boxes of our 60 long boxes of dollar books plus a decent amount of SA and Bronze.

We turned on Fox local news to find I made the news with a brief interview and shots of my display boards. Nice way to end the evening. Up early tomorrow to pull more request books for buyers. Overall, a great start with Saturday expected to be crazy.

Please stop by and say hello. Already met up with a few of you but not everyone according to this thread.

Ed Robertson

Ed, it is always great to see you!

(thumbs u

Tell your buddy I'm sorry about the Starbucks run this morning. Things got a little hectic real fast this morning.

:sorry:

Well everyone at DWC has been staying pretty busy getting ready for the REAL show to start. Stan arrives in the morning and the place will be crazy. Looking forward to an insane day and lots of drinks afterwards. And don't forget to stop by the DWC booth at #920 to register for a shot at a FREE Stan Lee signature.

My bad, Capullo was there. Overall, great show, lots of talent. I thought there would be lines for signing for most of those guys, but wasn't the case. They had plenty of time to talk, sign and sketch. I think Thursday night and Friday were great and Saturday was a little too crowded for me.

Due to work constraints I wasn't able to make it until today (sunday). What I did get to see was just awesome. I have been going to Phoenix Con since 2002. Back then it was in Glendale AZ (for a long time it was an ongoing theme that it was the Phoenix Con that was never held in Phoenix). It has now passed into the Phoenix Convention Center. In my limited Con experience(I've been to the WWLA con in 2006, the SDCC in 2005,06, and a few Phoenix Cons) I would say that this years PhoenixCon is similar to what I saw at Wizard World LA in 2006. Same size and some great artists.

What I experienced:

1: Stan The Man Lee was less than a 20 minute wait... Got him to sign my 2002 repro of the Spider-Man #1 Move promo poster that was recalled (had the twin towers in his eyes).

2, Got a sig from Adam Baldwin (firefly: my wifes favorite actor). Great guy and super friendly.

3. Got a pic and sig from Clare Kramer (Glory from Buffy TVS) Just a phenomenal lady.. everyone should meet this beauty.

4. Billy Tucci: As always he is one of the most friendly artists out there. If you like WWII, women, Zenescope, gory comics, or Shi comics then you can just never go wrong going by his booth. He had his gorgeous wife with him and she's just as cool as him.

5. Vendors: I know I recognized Harley Yee's booth, Dessert Wind's booths (A great option for Sig Series comics), CGC's booth (every time I went by they seemed like they were trying to figure out how to map their sig series books), Robocard's booth, and a number of LCS booths.

6. Artists such as Brian Pulido, Ethan Van Sciver, and several others had nobody at their tables which means is vastly easy to get sigs and sketches.

7. The percentage of girls in costume could be the highest I've seen.

8. Informed by multiple people that Saturday was so busy that the Fire Marshall shut the Con down. New people could only go in as people left.

I spoke with a number of artists and all said that the Con had been great and they would be back. The "stars" continue to increase and it's so much easier to talk to them then at the "major" cons. My wife and I had a phenomenal time and will be back next year. While SD Comicon has the biggest grouping of vendors, stars, and programming I do believe that PhoenixCon could be the easiest to get into everything. You just have to be o.k. with the heat... which is normally WAY higher than this year, but so nice to see your favorite people.

Got home about 10:00 after load out and unload at my storage units. Big thanks to Levi- Freekster and two of my friends for carrying the heavy lifting load. Free pizza after the work was done.

This was by far the largest and best attended Phoenix Con by far. Saturday was crazy. The Fire Marshall did stop new people from coming in so that there were still around 1000 people who were still in line at 5:00 so they extended the hours to 8:00. Sunday was also very busy.

I spoke with or overhead conversations by several exhibitors that this was the best financial Con they have attended (not just Phoenix). That was true for me as well. Sold over 15 long boxes of mostly nice Bronze books at less than $1 per book after bulk discounts etc. Also sold lots of other SA and Bronze with quite a few display books selling as well.

On another positive note, I was interviewed and made the Fox 10 local news (focus on some of my $2000-3000 books and who buys that type of book). It was pretty cool while the reporter was pretty hot!

I know there is a negative vibe regarding the lack of comic dealers which is true; however, I think the hundreds of buyers I met over the fours days all seemed very happy with the books and prices on their purchases. While the Con does not have the "big book" buzz of the larger shows, it is growing every year and Matt Solberg and his team have taken this show from a small hotel room to over 20,000 attendees this year. They are also fairly proactive in resolving issues that come up each year to avoid repeats.

It is definitely worth a trip if not too far away or you like hotter weather. One last note on the heat- they moved all of the lines inside this year so people were only in the heat by choice for the most part. Hope to see some more of you next Memorial Day.

Ed Robertson

I am happy you had good sales at the Con. Lack of dealers was a disappointment to me and a few others I spoke with. As always my money seems to gravitate to your booth. You had the best selection / biggest comic booth/ best deals at the Con. I hope there are more dealers next year due to this years attendance so I can at least window shop more before I hand you my money.