• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leadpink - ebay production (!) art

35 posts in this topic

* I apologize if this was discussed earlier, I could find mention of it though the search *

Ebay seller leadpink has been offering pages from 'hot' artists like Kirby, Steve Ditko, Neal Adams, or Dark Knight Returns, under the Original Art Auctions.

Has anybody bought from this seller before?

Is there any way to know if these pages are actually production (acetate) art, and not something manufactured by this seller?

-Thanks

(overly cautious) Anthony

Re-Reading through his auction description, it seems all these production pieces are from later printings of these comics - when these comics were collected in trade paper back collections.

For example, the Dark Knight pages could be from a 90's or early '00 printing, not from the original publication.

Using Dark Knight as an example, there could be dozens of production copies of each art page, one (or more) from each re-printing of the story. Even if they are not one of a kind, they are still a neat souvenir from the printing process.

This was being discussed in another thread in early January.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4502934#Post4502934

I think they would fall under the category of 3M's but I'm not sure if these are the same as the old process... hm

http://reviews.ebay.com/3-M-apos-s-and-Comic-Book-Color-Art_W0QQugidZ10000000001553128

Thanks for the thread link, and the link to Andrienne's site.

I also don't see how a single acetate could be used, unless it was as a reference, in addition to the separation 3M's.

Pleasure :)

I don't know, maybe somebody with greater knowledge of the modern production process will chime in here.

Pink said that his production pages are used by the printer prior to publication to check for proper color,contrast and quality control they are one of a kind proof and or color guides.

As for satch, when I inquired about his private listings, he mentioned that buyers prefer to have their anonymity.

If either seller is reading, your input is welcomed.

This is an old tread but I think it needs an update because Leadpink is still selling.

I have bought about 20 of these "original production art" pages from leadpink and I still wouldn't know if they are authentic.

I even wrote a note to infringements@marvel.com

Here's what I wrote :

===============================

Dear Marvel Comics,

I'm sending you this inquiry about so called color proofs from the early 70's.

Lately I have been buying color proofs from Marvel spotlight #6 and Marvel spotlight #9 from 1971 and 1973.Artwork was done by Mike Ploog.

I bought these on Ebay and the seller username is Leadpink,He listed these items as "Original production art".

They are transparent sheets,one sheet showing the artwork,the other showing the text balloons(see pictures).

The advertisement tells me there is only one colorguide for each comic page.

Now this is what happened:The seller made an error and accidently sent me two color guides of the same page(Marvel Spotlight #9 page12 from 1973,Mint condition)!

My suspicions are that one of these,or maybe all of them are forgeries if there was in fact only one color proof for each page.

Can you explain me if these color proofs were actually used during this period and if there was only one color proof per page?

If this is true,this seller is making thousends of dolllars every week by selling these forgeries of various Marvel comics color guides.

Please contact me because I am still buying these every week,not knowing if they are the real thing or not.

=====================

That was 2 months ago,and didn't get any respons so far.

He has about 2250 feedbacks and nearly all of them are for production art proofs.

That's a lot of production art,and he says he's only selling a good portion of his collection.

Most of the sold production art proofs are covers and page 1.

Most of them have the same framing printed together with the proofs.

All production art is in excellent condition.Even original art pages have scratches,folds,creases and/or coffee stains.People were working with these!

Nevertheless they could be from the 70's,could they?

This is an old tread but I think it needs an update because Leadpink is still selling.

I have bought about 20 of these "original production art" pages from leadpink and I still wouldn't know if they are authentic.

I even wrote a note to infringements@marvel.com

Here's what I wrote :

===============================

Dear Marvel Comics,

I'm sending you this inquiry about so called color proofs from the early 70's.

Lately I have been buying color proofs from Marvel spotlight #6 and Marvel spotlight #9 from 1971 and 1973.Artwork was done by Mike Ploog.

I bought these on Ebay and the seller username is Leadpink,He listed these items as "Original production art".

They are transparent sheets,one sheet showing the artwork,the other showing the text balloons(see pictures).

The advertisement tells me there is only one colorguide for each comic page.

Now this is what happened:The seller made an error and accidently sent me two color guides of the same page(Marvel Spotlight #9 page12 from 1973,Mint condition)!

My suspicions are that one of these,or maybe all of them are forgeries if there was in fact only one color proof for each page.

Can you explain me if these color proofs were actually used during this period and if there was only one color proof per page?

If this is true,this seller is making thousends of dolllars every week by selling these forgeries of various Marvel comics color guides.

Please contact me because I am still buying these every week,not knowing if they are the real thing or not.

=====================

That was 2 months ago,and didn't get any respons so far.

He has about 2250 feedbacks and nearly all of them are for production art proofs.

That's a lot of production art,and he says he's only selling a good portion of his collection.

Most of the sold production art proofs are covers and page 1.

Most of them have the same framing printed together with the proofs.

All production art is in excellent condition.Even original art pages have scratches,folds,creases and/or coffee stains.People were working with these!

Nevertheless they could be from the 70's,could they?

Doubtful -- they would be yellowed instead of clear if they were from the 70s. All production is digital now -- and acetates like that are easy to make from scans of original art from CAF, ebay, Heritage, etc. It is extremely unlikely these were ever part of any official production process. If you like them, great. Just be wary of considering them as anything authentic.

Can we make this a sticky since it links to several threads about this guy over a period of time. I tried like heck to get any answer out of him about where they are from and he gave me none. There is no doubt in my mind that he is either making them or having them made.

James G