• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 22nd to 24th (corrected)

22nd to 24th  

237 members have voted

1. 1. 22nd to 24th

75 posts in this topic

Tec 225

Sgt Fury #1

Flash 105

I can live without the Martian Manhumper and Sgt Fury was basically

a War book. Flash 105 lost out to other early appearance combined with

first appearance of a villian type books like ASM 14 and FF5 because I'm

more of a Marvel guy.

From here on forward I will be punting first appearance of villian books.

this was easier. many arguable books already gone, leaving a few low hangers...

ADV 247

TEC 225

FLASH 105

next up

ANT-MAN and SUPERGIRL, or whoever survived my picks above

Oh for heavens sake. 247 is much more important to the hobby than ant-man, supergril, the SA subby and many others on the board.

Why don't we just vote off FF1, AF 15, DD 1 etc right now? Preposterous I know, but so is making Adv 247 not even a top 20 SA book (tsk)

Welcome to the club. We're small, but growing. :)

ADV 247

TEC 225

FLASH 105

next up

Oh for heavens sake. 247 is much more important to the hobby than ant-man, supergril, the SA subby and many others on the board.

Why don't we just vote off FF1, AF 15, DD 1 etc right now? Preposterous I know, but so is making Adv 247 not even a top 20 SA book (tsk)

:applause::applause::applause:

Flash 105. Fifth appearance. Duh.

ASM 1. Second appearance.

TTA 27. Should have probably gone with Fury 1, but six in one for these two third-tier Marvel characters

Tec 225, nobody on the street knows who this is, and really not influential in the comic collecting world either. Quick - name his first cover?

B&B 28

Nah, its a trick question 'cause Manhunter's a shapeshifter and can turn invisible. You never know who he is or where he is at any given time :kidaround:

ADV 247

TEC 225

FLASH 105

next up

really guys?

are we voting TODAYS eyes? or with 30 year old goggles?

The Legion are just as minor as all the other characters being left behind.. I see that you guys love them, but its a shame that so many of you will skew the voting in their favor.

But majority rules. Lets see where they end up.

Det. 225 (will never be a big movie because no one knows who he is)

Flash 105 (for the obvious reason/s. Late, late, late)

TTA 27 (sorry little man, but you ain't ever gonna be a "big" (pun intended) movie either)

Who spends more money on comic characters? The public or the geeks (okay, readers and collectors)?

Tec 225, nobody on the street knows who this is, and really not influential in the comic collecting world either. Quick - name his first cover?

B&B 28

Nah, its a trick question 'cause Manhunter's a shapeshifter and can turn invisible. You never know who he is or where he is at any given time :kidaround:

Detective_Comics_225.jpg

He's the Batman on the far left....

ADV 247

TEC 225

FLASH 105

next up

really guys?

The Legion are just as minor as all the other characters being left behind.. I see that you guys love them, but its a shame that so many of you will skew the voting in their favor.

That's kind of like saying Babe Ruth isn't important in the history of baseball because he played 70+ years ago.

The Legion may have fallen out of favor the last few years, but come on...Overstreet documented something like their first seventeen appearances! They were a major force in the hobby for decades. So if we are voting on importance shouldn't length of impact be somewhat of a measure? Some of the other heroes left on the list were never really powerhouses in the hobby. Daredevil, as much as I love that character, only had the Miller years for the most part. Small blip on the last half century + of comic history

ADV 247

TEC 225

FLASH 105

next up

really guys?

That's kind of like saying Babe Ruth isn't important in the history of baseball because he played 70+ years ago.

The Legion may have fallen out of favor the last few years, but come on...Overstreet documented something like their first seventeen appearances! They were a major force in the hobby for decades. So if we are voting on importance shouldn't length of impact be somewhat of a measure? Some of the other heroes left on the list were never really powerhouses in the hobby. Daredevil, as much as I love that character, only had the Miller years for the most part. Small blip on the last half century + of comic history

The Legion counts for me. Loved to read them growing up. I would certainly keep them ahead of a lame Superman copy like Supergirl or the Martian Manhunter who nobody collects.

ADV 247

TEC 225

FLASH 105

next up

really guys?

Left behind? When exactly did that happen? (shrug)

The Legion has been in (almost) constant publication for decades and while the titles haven't exactly been best sellers for a long time, they generally have a pretty healthy performance in the direct market and are definitely far from being considered "minor".

Hell, they currently have their own title, while also appearing monthly in a second one.

What on Earth makes Namor, Sgt. Fury or Dr. Strange more important than the Legion? :sumo:

(The above has nothing with me being a Legion fan. I'm also a huge fan of Master Of Kung Fu and Challengers Of The Unknown, but I wouldn't dare defend either of them in a debate about importance or relevance :P )

TTA 27. Should have probably gone with Fury 1, but six in one for these two third-tier Marvel characters

Regarding ASM #1, yes, its Spidey's 2nd appearance, but there's also a lot of notable 1st's and quite frankly, can someone, anyone (10.5% of you) articulate why you would vote ASM #1 off the list before DD#1 or Strange Tales #110? (shrug)

This poll has swiftly fallen into a vote of Marvel favorites and has no true meaning as to which are the most important books of the silver age. No matter what you are a fan of you have to lay aside your fanboy desires and pick the most important books.

Adv. 247 is insanely important to the silver age. It would be like saying Captain Marvel and Human Torch were not important to the golden age. Overall, it looks like the voting plans of all involved are to vote every DC book off except SC4 and SC22 before going after the Marvel titles.

Regarding ASM #1, yes, its Spidey's 2nd appearance, but there's also a lot of notable 1st's and quite frankly, can someone, anyone (10.5% of you) articulate why you would vote ASM #1 off the list before DD#1 or Strange Tales #110? (shrug)

ASM #1 is a monster book.

This poll has swiftly fallen into a vote of Marvel favorites and has no true meaning as to which are the most important books of the silver age. No matter what you are a fan of you have to lay aside your fanboy desires and pick the most important books.

Adv. 247 is insanely important to the silver age. It would be like saying Captain Marvel and Human Torch were not important to the golden age. Overall, it looks like the voting plans of all involved are to vote every DC book off except SC4 and SC22 before going after the Marvel titles.

See all the arguments on Flash #123 and you'll see that this poll hasn't been about comic history from the get-go.