• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 19th to 21st

19th to 21st  

228 members have voted

1. 1. 19th to 21st

61 posts in this topic

I don't understand why ASM 1 is getting a lot of votes this early on in the voting.

Spider-Man was the most important character of Marvel and if he doesn't get his own title he would be just another prehero sidenote. FF was not a popular title until the crossover in ASM1. Without ASM1 Marvel would have lasted about as long as the Valiant Universe. Just because it was a 2nd appearance don't underestimate the impact this book had on comics.

ASM #1 does seem to get disrespected around here quite a bit. I don't venture into the Golden Age Forum that often, but I wonder if Superman #1 is dismissed in the same way. Spider-Man is arguably the most popular comic book character of all-time. It's hard to imagine what the comic book landscape would be like today if ASM #1 had never been published.

There is indeed similar talk about Superman #1. Especially because, as I understand it, Supes #1 is mostly reprints from Action.

And I don't see how one could argue that Spider-Man is the most popular comics character of all time. It's Superman, and he's far beyond the rest, even Batman, although Batman's pretty freakin' huge. If you're not a comic person at all and you get a superhero tee-shirt, it's Superman. Getting a comic book tattoo? Superman's logo. He's been #1 since before Spider-Man existed. he's had tv shows, movies for decades, radio shows, serials, merchandising of any sort imaginable in every country on the planet it seems, and every kind of media you can think of. When a little kid is pretending to be a superhero, he puts a cape on and pretends to fly. When Superman's comics aren't selling very well at all, he's still #1. He's up there with Mickey Mouse, beyond Bugs Bunny and Sherlock Holmes. I'd say he's as important a character as Don Quixote or Hamlet in the Western world (is that going overboard?). Spider-Man might be cooler, he might have a more interesting personality or whatever, he might be drawn by cooler artists, but Superman is still untoppable. He's reached a point where the comics could cease to exist and he'd still be on top.

Indeed, Superman was the most popular character of all time, but somewhere along the way, say the 1980's, he was replaced by Spider-man. The endless Spidey cartoons, merchandise, and movies have far eclipsed those of Superman during the past 20-25 years. Kids (mine, my nephews, my friends kids) do not pretend tie a towel around their necks pretending to be Superman. Instead, they pretend they have web-shooters and cling to walls. For Halloween, not a single Superman came trick or treating, but we saw lots of Spidey, Spider-girl and Wolverine. When I tuck the kids to sleep, they chose to be in Spidey PJs, not Superman. Saturday mornings - in front of the TV watching Spidey and the Avengers. So I say to you, Superman who? (shrug)

Spider-man is being replaced by Iron Man as we speak with the new generation; Iron man merchandise has outsold Spider-man merchandise the last few years,Iron Man has now eclipsed Spider-man as the cool modern hero for the young generation, so yes even Spidey has a dent in his iconic armor. ;)

Late to this party (should get out more) but:

Sgt Fury #1

Legend has it the result of a bet that Stan had regarding the "secret formula" for successful comics.

DareDevil #1

A mating of Batman and SpiderMan.. Didn't hit its straps until Miller came along.

Which one is the blind one? Bats? or Spidey?

Let's not minimize how unique a character DD truly is

Spider-Man was the most important character of Marvel and if he doesn't get his own title he would be just another prehero sidenote. FF was not a popular title until the crossover in ASM1. Without ASM1 Marvel would have lasted about as long as the Valiant Universe.

Interesting. What's the reference for this?

I don't understand why ASM 1 is getting a lot of votes this early on in the voting.

Spider-Man was the most important character of Marvel and if he doesn't get his own title he would be just another prehero sidenote. FF was not a popular title until the crossover in ASM1. Without ASM1 Marvel would have lasted about as long as the Valiant Universe. Just because it was a 2nd appearance don't underestimate the impact this book had on comics.

ASM #1 does seem to get disrespected around here quite a bit. I don't venture into the Golden Age Forum that often, but I wonder if Superman #1 is dismissed in the same way. Spider-Man is arguably the most popular comic book character of all-time. It's hard to imagine what the comic book landscape would be like today if ASM #1 had never been published.

There is indeed similar talk about Superman #1. Especially because, as I understand it, Supes #1 is mostly reprints from Action.

And I don't see how one could argue that Spider-Man is the most popular comics character of all time. It's Superman, and he's far beyond the rest, even Batman, although Batman's pretty freakin' huge. If you're not a comic person at all and you get a superhero tee-shirt, it's Superman. Getting a comic book tattoo? Superman's logo. He's been #1 since before Spider-Man existed. he's had tv shows, movies for decades, radio shows, serials, merchandising of any sort imaginable in every country on the planet it seems, and every kind of media you can think of. When a little kid is pretending to be a superhero, he puts a cape on and pretends to fly. When Superman's comics aren't selling very well at all, he's still #1. He's up there with Mickey Mouse, beyond Bugs Bunny and Sherlock Holmes. I'd say he's as important a character as Don Quixote or Hamlet in the Western world (is that going overboard?). Spider-Man might be cooler, he might have a more interesting personality or whatever, he might be drawn by cooler artists, but Superman is still untoppable. He's reached a point where the comics could cease to exist and he'd still be on top.

Indeed, Superman was the most popular character of all time, but somewhere along the way, say the 1980's, he was replaced by Spider-man. The endless Spidey cartoons, merchandise, and movies have far eclipsed those of Superman during the past 20-25 years. Kids (mine, my nephews, my friends kids) do not pretend tie a towel around their necks pretending to be Superman. Instead, they pretend they have web-shooters and cling to walls. For Halloween, not a single Superman came trick or treating, but we saw lots of Spidey, Spider-girl and Wolverine. When I tuck the kids to sleep, they chose to be in Spidey PJs, not Superman. Saturday mornings - in front of the TV watching Spidey and the Avengers. So I say to you, Superman who? (shrug)

Spider-man is being replaced by Iron Man as we speak with the new generation; Iron man merchandise has outsold Spider-man merchandise the last few years,Iron Man has now eclipsed Spider-man as the cool modern hero for the young generation, so yes even Spidey has a dent in his iconic armor. ;)

I'm not sure where you get this information or if it's just opinion, but all three Spider-man movies' Worldwide Gross was higher than either of the Iron Man movies. A new generation of fans are discovering him through the movies and now with this new movie coming out aimed specifically at a younger audience, he'll probably be even more popular with the younger generation.

It's true, Iron Man's status has skyrocketed, but Spider-man and Wolverine are going to be hard to topple.

I'm not sure where you get this information or if it's just opinion, but all three Spider-man movies' Worldwide Gross was higher than either of the Iron Man movies. A new generation of fans are discovering him through the movies and now with this new movie coming out aimed specifically at a younger audience, he'll probably be even more popular with the younger generation.

It's true, Iron Man's status has skyrocketed, but Spider-man and Wolverine are going to be hard to topple.

Disney had a release a few months back that told Disney stockholders that Iron Man merchandise has now surpassed Spider-man for sales in the last few years, he is numero uno with a 2013 movie upcoming. Nicktoons also debuted two new animated series last year Wolverine and Ironman, Ironman got renewed for a second season for strong ratings while Wolverine got canceled. yeah Spider-man and Wolverine are hot with us comic fans but Ironman is hotter with mainstream. ;)

That's pretty interesting info. I still think that, when the comic movies are dead in ten years or whatever, and all the hype is over, Iron Man will be the first to go, and Superman will live on at the top forever. It's possible I'm wrong, but I don't see it. he's just so iconic, and so simple. He's the superhero distilled in purest form.

Disney had a release a few months back that told Disney stockholders that Iron Man merchandise has now surpassed Spider-man for sales in the last few years, he is numero uno with a 2013 movie upcoming. Nicktoons also debuted two new animated series last year Wolverine and Ironman, Ironman got renewed for a second season for strong ratings while Wolverine got canceled. yeah Spider-man and Wolverine are hot with us comic fans but Ironman is hotter with mainstream.

Disney had a release a few months back that told Disney stockholders that Iron Man merchandise has now surpassed Spider-man for sales in the last few years, he is numero uno with a 2013 movie upcoming. Nicktoons also debuted two new animated series last year Wolverine and Ironman, Ironman got renewed for a second season for strong ratings while Wolverine got canceled. yeah Spider-man and Wolverine are hot with us comic fans but Ironman is hotter with mainstream. ;)

That's pretty interesting info. I still think that, when the comic movies are dead in ten years or whatever, and all the hype is over, Iron Man will be the first to go, and Superman will live on at the top forever. It's possible I'm wrong, but I don't see it. he's just so iconic, and so simple. He's the superhero distilled in purest form.

No arguments with me, Superman and Batman are my favorite characters. (thumbs u

If by Superman and Batman you mean The Flash and Adam Strange, then I'm with you! lol

If by Superman and Batman you mean The Flash and Adam Strange, then I'm with you! lol

Love Flash and Adam Strange as well, it doesn`t get any better then Carmine Infantino art. :cloud9:

Love Flash and Adam Strange as well, it doesn`t get any better then Carmine Infantino art. :cloud9:

Okay, you said the magic words. I will agree with you forever now.

Spider-Man was the most important character of Marvel and if he doesn't get his own title he would be just another prehero sidenote. FF was not a popular title until the crossover in ASM1. Without ASM1 Marvel would have lasted about as long as the Valiant Universe.

Just my memory of my own experience, I was there at the time.

Sgt Fury #1

Legend has it the result of a bet that Stan had regarding the "secret formula" for successful comics.

DareDevil #1

A mating of Batman and SpiderMan.. Didn't hit its straps until Miller came along.

Doctor Mid-Nite, I presume.

I agree with your main point anyway.

Jack

Just my memory of my own experience, I was there at the time.

You know they say, memory is the second thing to go.

Sgt Fury #1

DareDevil #1

DD is great. I just read the Brubaker and Bendis run and that is about as comics can be in my opinon. Over the years, his legend has grown. It is just to bad he does not have that much to offer until issue 158.

Doctor Mid-Nite, I presume.

I agree with your main point anyway.

Jack

ComicConnoisseur: Disney had a release a few months back that told Disney stockholders that Iron Man merchandise has now surpassed Spider-man for sales in the last few years, he is numero uno with a 2013 movie upcoming. Nicktoons also debuted two new animated series last year Wolverine and Ironman, Ironman got renewed for a second season for strong ratings while Wolverine got canceled. yeah Spider-man and Wolverine are hot with us comic fans but Ironman is hotter with mainstream.

Keep in mind, most Disney stores only started adding Marvel Merchandise just prior to the theatre opening of Iron Man 2, so 90% of what they HAD was Iron Man merchandise. And merchandise sales includes the new DVD sales during that same year. Its no wonder Iron Man rocked was #1 for them. We'll see what happens over the course of the next few years.

Disney cancelled the Wolverine and Spider-man cartoons once they took over because they wanted to rework the shows (Both to a younger audience). Wolverine in particular had some of the best ratings Nicktoons ever had.

Okay, you said the magic words. I will agree with you forever now.

Green Lantern, Flash and then a tie between Aquaman and Adam Strange with Hawkman in fifth for me.

:cool: